Helmet Liner - suitable adhestive?

Old August 7th 05, 08:51 PM
Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott

Default Helmet Liner - suitable adhestive?

The blue cloth-like sweatband liner in my Giro helmet has come unglued
in the forehead area. Kinda flops around now. I'd like to glue it back
in place. Behind is is what appears to be thin layer of black
closed-cell foam, which is in turn affixed to the styrofoam helmet body
itself. It's a sweaty location, so a water-soluble glue wouldn't work.
Other solvents may attack the materials, or might get uncomfortably
hard, or reduce the sweatband's already minimal ability to absorb water.
Suggestions?

--

Mike "Rocket J Squirrel" Elliott
71 Type 2: the Wonderbus
Old August 7th 05, 09:14 PM
mo fo

rubber cement?

~R

"Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott"
m wrote in
message ...
: The blue cloth-like sweatband liner in my Giro helmet has come
unglued
: in the forehead area. Kinda flops around now. I'd like to glue
it back
: in place. Behind is is what appears to be thin layer of black
: closed-cell foam, which is in turn affixed to the styrofoam
helmet body
: itself. It's a sweaty location, so a water-soluble glue
wouldn't work.
: Other solvents may attack the materials, or might get
uncomfortably
: hard, or reduce the sweatband's already minimal ability to
absorb water.
: Suggestions?
:
: --
:

Old August 7th 05, 09:39 PM
Dave Thompson

Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott wrote:
The blue cloth-like sweatband liner in my Giro helmet has come unglued
in the forehead area. Kinda flops around now. I'd like to glue it back
in place. Behind is is what appears to be thin layer of black
closed-cell foam, which is in turn affixed to the styrofoam helmet
body itself. It's a sweaty location, so a water-soluble glue wouldn't
work. Other solvents may attack the materials, or might get
uncomfortably hard, or reduce the sweatband's already minimal ability
to absorb water. Suggestions?

My Bell and Giro helmets have little dots of Velcro holding the headliner
and pads in place. Rubbing alcohol to clean the styrofoam.

Old August 8th 05, 12:22 AM
Lou D'Amelio

I have used a hot glue gun (available at any crafts store) for
precisely this purpose - basically melts a pliable rubber/plastic which
then dries to a solid, waterprrof bond pretty quickly. Not great
tensile strength for mechanical purposes, but I've used it with great
success for exactly the purpose you're describing. Giro helmets
particularly prone to this problem.

Lou D'Amelio

Old August 8th 05, 01:35 AM

On 8/7/2005 12:51 PM Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott wrote:

The blue cloth-like sweatband liner in my Giro helmet

snip

Oops -- it's a Specialized, not Giro.

Old August 8th 05, 03:58 AM

Mike Rocket J. Squirrel Elliott wrote:
The blue cloth-like sweatband liner in my Giro helmet has come unglued
in the forehead area. Kinda flops around now. I'd like to glue it back
in place. Behind is is what appears to be thin layer of black
closed-cell foam, which is in turn affixed to the styrofoam helmet body
itself. It's a sweaty location, so a water-soluble glue wouldn't work.
Other solvents may attack the materials, or might get uncomfortably
hard, or reduce the sweatband's already minimal ability to absorb water.
Suggestions?

I replaced the all the padding in my Giro helmet with cut-to-fit 1/8"
self-stick neoprene tape, available at any heating/AC supply store. It
is the perfect density for cushioning/shock absorption, and doesn't
absorb sweat, which is an advantage as I sweat a lot. This way it
doesn't get saturated and then keep dripping in my eyes, and I don't
have to wash the hemet as often.

Old August 8th 05, 02:25 PM
colocraig

A good adhesive to use in this appliation is made by 3M and called
"Plastic Emblem and Trim Adhesive". The part number for the convenient
1 oz tube is 03601. Should be available in any good hardware or
automotive store. It is a contact type adhesive. Apply some to both
surfaces, let them dry and them press them together for a minute or so.
I've successfully used it in several applications similar to yours.