Touring bikes: Index or friction shifting?

Old April 16th 08, 08:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Touring bikes: Index or friction shifting?

What would you go for and why?
Old April 16th 08, 08:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bfd

On Apr 16, 12:04*pm, wrote:
What would you go for and why?

Define "touring?" Are you going to be "touring" out in the jungles of
South America, Africa or Western China by yourself? Or are you doing
*credit card* touring where a van follows you and you're sleeping
every nite in a different hotel. Depending on how you travel may make
a big difference in ones choice.
Old April 16th 08, 08:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Apr 16, 2:04*pm, wrote:
What would you go for and why?

Doesn't matter much. If I found an old Miyata in my size, I'd ride
coast to coast happily on a 7spd freewheel with friction shifters. Or
not. If I found some 7spd bar-ends I'd use those, and if I got bored
in Missouri, I'd switch them to friction to have something to do.
Alternately, if I got a really sweet deal on a new bike with brifters
and a 9spd rear cluster--that'd work fine as well. More important is
that the frame is right, I got good heel clearance, and the thing
handles nice and stable, so I can take downhill naps.
Old April 16th 08, 09:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ozark Bicycle

On Apr 16, 2:04 pm, wrote:
What would you go for and why?

I can understand wanting to use shifters with a friction *option*
(e.g., DT shifters or barends) as a backup in case of difficulties
whilst on a tour. But why, oh why, would anyone, save for a Hobbit,
want to use a friction *only* shifter??
Old April 16th 08, 09:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bfd

On Apr 16, 1:33*pm, Ozark Bicycle
wrote:
On Apr 16, 2:04 pm, wrote:

What would you go for and why?

I can understand wanting to use shifters with a friction *option*
(e.g., DT shifters or barends) as a backup in case of difficulties
whilst on a tour. But why, oh why, would anyone, save for a Hobbit,
want to use a friction *only* shifter??

Maybe they've been drinking (ok, reading) the kool-aid again:

http://www.rivbike.com/article/components/shifting
Old April 16th 08, 09:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

bfd wrote:

Define "touring?" Are you going to be "touring" out in the jungles of
South America, Africa or Western China by yourself? Or are you doing
*credit card* touring where a van follows you and you're sleeping
every nite in a different hotel. Depending on how you travel may make
a big difference in ones choice.

More like credit card touring in the USA..... but still
wanting little chance of breakdown and complexity cause
I don't like to mess with things as they always break
at worst time such as at 2am or during a thunderstorm
while standing outside in it
Old April 16th 08, 09:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Ozark Bicycle
wrote:

But why, oh why, would anyone, save for a Hobbit,
want to use a friction *only* shifter??

Well as I've aid in other posts I haven't been in
cycling for many years so NOT up on the equip available
today.

Maybe they don't even exist anymore? I don't know...do
they?

So maybe my question should be.... what OPTIONS do I
HAVE for shifter and systems now days?
Old April 16th 08, 10:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

bfd wrote:

Maybe they've been drinking (ok, reading) the kool-aid again:

http://www.rivbike.com/article/components/shifting

One thing I have noticed abt the Novara Randonee I
bought was that at times the shifting isn't quite in
alignment enough to be perfectly silent..... makes
"meshing" noise as pedaling. I know of no way to
quickly make that "micro" adjustment to eliminate
that.... and it does irritate me.

However.... back 15 years ago when I did have a bike
and lost of riding, I remember friction shifting.....
and when things were not quite aligned I could manually
make that small adjustment so that it was.

See my point?

Maybe everything is index now? Friction no longer
available or desirable? tell me ok?
Old April 16th 08, 10:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Apr 16, 3:33 pm, Ozark Bicycle
wrote:
On Apr 16, 2:04 pm, wrote:

What would you go for and why?

I can understand wanting to use shifters with a friction *option*
(e.g., DT shifters or barends) as a backup in case of difficulties
whilst on a tour. But why, oh why, would anyone, save for a Hobbit,
want to use a friction *only* shifter??

I used to run my 6spd 105 group friction for the silence. The feedback
both from the dt levers and aurally made the SIS detents superfluous.
When you get up to 8 speed rear clusters, that's when I find that
click shift makes a big difference in accuracy, but when your dt lever
just has six positions--your muscle memory remembers it pretty quick--
there's no other way that I could have enjoyed my Shogun mtb with
"upgraded" Suntour friction thumbies back in the day, heh. I do love
shifting 6-7 speed dt's, it feels so natural the way the lever slides
in your fingers just so...but I don't support the Hobbits doing the
same with 9 or 10 speed. That's just out of hand!

For touring, if I had a choice, I'd run an 8speed rear with either bar-
ends on some classic Nittos, or the same shifters on stairclimber bars
via some Paul's thumbies. It's really not that important. If your
shifter breaks in the middle of nowhere, just set your derailleur with
the limit screws to your preferred gear and hobble on--you'll still
have three gears!

Old April 16th 08, 10:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bfd

On Apr 16, 2:03*pm, wrote:
bfd wrote:
Maybe they've been drinking (ok, reading) the kool-aid again:

http://www.rivbike.com/article/components/shifting

One thing I have noticed abt the Novara Randonee I
bought was that at times the shifting isn't quite in
alignment enough to be perfectly silent..... makes
"meshing" noise as pedaling. * I know of no way to
quickly make that "micro" adjustment to eliminate
that.... and it does irritate me.

However.... back 15 years ago when I did have a bike
and lost of riding, I remember friction shifting.....
and when things were not quite aligned I could manually
make that small adjustment so that it was.

Try adjusting the barrel adjuster behind the rear der. Turning it like
1/4 turn clockwise until the chain runs smoothly.

Maybe everything is index now? *Friction no longer
available or desirable? *tell me ok?

If you really must have friction shifters, Rivs got em:
http://www.rivbike.com/products/list...s#product=none

Friction shifting on a 9 speed cassette? Ease of shifting? Mounting? [email protected] Techniques 5 October 11th 07 04:02 AM
index/friction cable meb Techniques 3 November 7th 05 02:52 AM
Convert Index to friction shifting Kak61 Techniques 3 November 4th 04 09:22 PM
Friction shifting Vs Index Fx199 General 41 October 5th 04 05:20 AM
Upgrade from friction to index DJA General 4 September 3rd 04 05:32 PM