Spoke Crossing

Old April 25th 08, 02:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Spoke Crossing

I'm building a rear wheel with a Weinmann deep 'V' rim and a Sturmey
Archer hub.

The rim dia. is 577mm, the hub dia. is 65mm, the hub flange width is
55mm and it's a 28H.

My weight is about 160lb and I'll just be doing regular road riding on
this bike.

Can I do 3 cross, or would it be better to use 2 cross?

TIA.

Lewis.

*****
Old April 25th 08, 05:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

limeylew wrote:

I'm building a rear wheel with a Weinmann deep 'V' rim and a Sturmey
Archer hub.

The rim dia. is 577mm, the hub dia. is 65mm, the hub flange width is
55mm and it's a 28H.

My weight is about 160lb and I'll just be doing regular road riding on
this bike.

Can I do 3 cross, or would it be better to use 2 cross?

Cross-two is generally better for 28 hole, being close to the same
degree of tangency as 36 spokes laced cross-three. With a high-
flanged hub like yours, the angle of insertion to the rim is much
better with cross-two lacing.

Chalo
Old April 25th 08, 07:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Apr 25, 11:51 am, Chalo wrote:
limeylew wrote:

I'm building a rear wheel with a Weinmann deep 'V' rim and a Sturmey
Archer hub.

The rim dia. is 577mm, the hub dia. is 65mm, the hub flange width is
55mm and it's a 28H.

My weight is about 160lb and I'll just be doing regular road riding on
this bike.

Can I do 3 cross, or would it be better to use 2 cross?

Cross-two is generally better for 28 hole, being close to the same
degree of tangency as 36 spokes laced cross-three. With a high-
flanged hub like yours, the angle of insertion to the rim is much
better with cross-two lacing.

Chalo

Thanks, Chalo, I appreciate it.

Lewis.

*****

RR: 'Crossing the 'Fling kanangara Australia 6 November 14th 06 11:37 PM
Crossing The Line iridemymuni Unicycling 19 May 28th 06 10:55 PM
Channel crossing John Gray UK 4 May 15th 05 08:17 AM
ped crossing woes Adrian Boliston UK 70 March 31st 04 05:19 PM
Ferry Crossing Succorso UK 2 February 2nd 04 06:41 PM