shipping a bike

Old November 30th 14, 05:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Gus Overton

Default shipping a bike

I'm thinking of shipping my niece's to Tucson (from Louisville) and giving to Anabel (and be able to use on my excursion... I love riding a bike, and could buy my niece's and give to Anabel?).

Maybe I should just buy one out there. Anyone know a good bike shop in Tucson. I've never been there... I don't need a fancy bike, just something that doesn't breakdown, and is not too expensive... I guess I could go to Walmart (ugh) and get a Huffy, or Schwinn. I saw Schwinn's at a Walmart here.

If I do ship-- Greyhound? I had a bike shipped from Erie to Denver once that way. I assume the airline would too, but probably a lot more $... I'll need a box too... I should probably just buy a bike there. And give to her.
Old December 1st 14, 01:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
NFN Smith[_2_]

Gus Overton wrote:
If I do ship-- Greyhound? I had a bike shipped from Erie to Denver
once that way. I assume the airline would too, but probably a lot
more $... I'll need a box too... I should probably just buy a bike
there. And give to her.

Try UPS. One time a friend from out of town visited me, and he shipped
his bike before, and when he left, we shipped his bike back to him. He
owns a bike shop, so had plenty of boxes.

Smith

Old December 1st 14, 04:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Gus Overton

On Sunday, November 30, 2014 7:13:01 PM UTC-5, NFN Smith wrote:
Gus Overton wrote:
If I do ship-- Greyhound? I had a bike shipped from Erie to Denver
once that way. I assume the airline would too, but probably a lot
more $... I'll need a box too... I should probably just buy a bike
there. And give to her.

Try UPS. One time a friend from out of town visited me, and he shipped
his bike before, and when he left, we shipped his bike back to him. He
owns a bike shop, so had plenty of boxes.

Smith

I hate to say this, but thinking just buying a cheap Huffy or such and leaving it with her. A Huffy should last five days?

Old December 1st 14, 05:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 11/30/2014 11:42 AM, Gus Overton wrote:
I'm thinking of shipping my niece's to Tucson (from Louisville) and giving to Anabel (and be able to use on my excursion... I love riding a bike, and could buy my niece's and give to Anabel?).

Maybe I should just buy one out there. Anyone know a good bike shop in Tucson. I've never been there... I don't need a fancy bike, just something that doesn't breakdown, and is not too expensive... I guess I could go to Walmart (ugh) and get a Huffy, or Schwinn. I saw Schwinn's at a Walmart here.

If I do ship-- Greyhound? I had a bike shipped from Erie to Denver once that way. I assume the airline would too, but probably a lot more $... I'll need a box too... I should probably just buy a bike there. And give to her.

Is this a worthwhile project? I think it depends on the quality of the
bike you're considering shipping, your intended use of the bike, your
financial situation, etc.

Tuscon has lots of bike shops. Google "tuscon AZ bike shop" and see.
This one http://ordinarybikeshop.com/ has used bikes, which can be an
excellent buy - better than *-Mart.
--
- Frank Krygowski
Old December 2nd 14, 01:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Gus Overton

On Monday, December 1, 2014 11:20:59 AM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Thanks I did notice that one, but hadn't looked at it... Interesting name. A used bike would be a good choice!
Old December 5th 14, 10:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
mac[_3_]

Someone may have mentioned it, but if you're lucky in you shipping
location, Amtrak ships bikes. And the boxes are big enough so you only need
to remove pedals and turn the handlebars sideways.

--
mac the naïf