Carbon post stuck in aluminum frame.

Old August 5th 05, 09:06 PM
Wayne Pein

Default Carbon post stuck in aluminum frame.

What is the mechanism for this and is there are way to get it out and
prevent future freeze ups?

Thanks,
Wayne

Old August 6th 05, 01:48 AM

Wayne Pein writes:

What is the mechanism for this and is there are way to get it out
and prevent future freeze ups?

I haven't heard of this before but it is probably the same as in any
kind of steertube. From the way you write this and that it is "stuck"
makes me visualize a quill stem.

The quill stem is dead! Dead! Dead!

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/stuck-stem.html
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/t...s-headset.html

Use quill stems on antique bicycles and only for display purposes.

Jobst Brandt
Old August 6th 05, 02:42 AM
App

wrote:
Wayne Pein writes:

What is the mechanism for this and is there are way to get it out
and prevent future freeze ups?

I haven't heard of this before but it is probably the same as in any
kind of steertube. From the way you write this and that it is "stuck"
makes me visualize a quill stem.

The quill stem is dead! Dead! Dead!

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/stuck-stem.html
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/t...s-headset.html

Use quill stems on antique bicycles and only for display purposes.

Jobst Brandt

Did you read the subject? Sorry, not intending to be snarky, but ....

And to not answer the OP: whatever you do, when you get it out and get
a new post, how's about an aluminum one? The Thomson Masterpiece is a
beauty, light, and non-fred and comes in setback and no. Plus you can
put anti-seize or grease on it to prevent your current plight.

App

Old August 6th 05, 03:20 AM
Wayne Pein

Wayne Pein wrote:
What is the mechanism for this and is there are way to get it out and
prevent future freeze ups?

Thanks,
Wayne

Sorry. I should have been more precise and said it is a seatpost. I'm
also posting for a friend. The seatpost is a Deda Black Magic and the
frame is a DeRosa Dual.

Wayne

Old August 6th 05, 03:35 AM

anonymous writes:

What is the mechanism for this and is there are way to get it out
and prevent future freeze ups?

I haven't heard of this before but it is probably the same as in
any kind of steertube. From the way you write this and that it is
"stuck" makes me visualize a quill stem.

The quill stem is dead! Dead! Dead!

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/stuck-stem.html
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/t...s-headset.html

Use quill stems on antique bicycles and only for display purposes.

Did you read the subject? Sorry, not intending to be snarky, but ....

Aluminum against carbon can produce the same corrosion and it doesn't
matter whether the steertube or the stem is aluminum. The effect is
the same. The only thing that I don't know is the rate of corrosion
between carbon and aluminum compared to steel and aluminum.

And to not answer the OP: whatever you do, when you get it out and get
a new post, how's about an aluminum one? The Thomson Masterpiece is a
beauty, light, and non-fred and comes in setback and no. Plus you can
put anti-seize or grease on it to prevent your current plight.

Anti-seize will have no effect on corrosion in this interface. People
have prescribed this for ages with no demonstrable effect.

Just get rid of the quill stem. This may require a new fork with a
longer threadless steertube, that from my experience, is worth the
effort.

Jobst Brandt
Old August 6th 05, 03:40 AM

Wayne Pein wrote:

What is the mechanism for this and is there are way to get it out and
prevent future freeze ups?

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/stuck-stem.html

Sorry. I should have been more precise and said it is a seatpost. I'm
also posting for a friend. The seatpost is a Deda Black Magic and the
frame is a DeRosa Dual.

That doesn't make much difference, the problem is the same although
seatposts, when properly secured, do not pump water into the interface
and don't seize up. When and if you get it out, make sure the post is
well greased and the expander slot in the frame well plugged with
grease to prevent water intrusion. Since this is essentially a static
contact, it will not ingest water.

Jobst Brandt
Old August 6th 05, 03:50 AM

On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 02:35:43 GMT,
wrote:

anonymous writes:

[...]

Dear Jobst,

For crying out loud--how many people have to tell you that
the thread title and posts are about a seat post, not a
quill stem?

Carl Fogel
Old August 6th 05, 10:30 AM
colnalu

wrote:
Wayne Pein wrote:

What is the mechanism for this and is there are way to get it out and
prevent future freeze ups?

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/stuck-stem.html

Sorry. I should have been more precise and said it is a seatpost. I'm
also posting for a friend. The seatpost is a Deda Black Magic and the
frame is a DeRosa Dual.

That doesn't make much difference, the problem is the same although
seatposts, when properly secured, do not pump water into the interface
and don't seize up. When and if you get it out, make sure the post is
well greased and the expander slot in the frame well plugged with
grease to prevent water intrusion. Since this is essentially a static
contact, it will not ingest water.

Jobst Brandt

I think it is very silly to advise the use of grease on a carbon seat
post. Higher clamping forces would be required as a result, which might
distort the post harmfully. See many previous debates on this topic
here on r.b.t.

Another solution is to remove the post every year, wiping it and the
inside of the seatpost clean. I am forced to do this every six months
on my Campag Record post and Colnago aluminium frame since the grit
build-up causes all those weird ticking sounds that I love to hate . .
..

/Robert p.s. on the subject of which end of the bike the OP was
referring to, I've never heard of a carbon quill stem on a threaded
fork, have you? :-/

Old August 6th 05, 04:19 PM
Robin Hubert

colnalu wrote:
wrote:

Wayne Pein wrote:

[...]

I have to ask, does anyone have any proof that "higher clamping forces"
are required to keep a greased post in place?

Another solution is to remove the post every year, wiping it and the
inside of the seatpost clean. I am forced to do this every six months
on my Campag Record post and Colnago aluminium frame since the grit
build-up causes all those weird ticking sounds that I love to hate . .
.

The reason you're "forced" to do this is that, otherwise, you might face
a "frozen" stem or post.

Old August 6th 05, 04:36 PM
colnalu

Robin Hubert wrote:
colnalu wrote:
wrote:

Wayne Pein wrote:

[...]

I have, which is why I do not grease the post.

Another solution is to remove the post every year, wiping it and the
inside of the seatpost clean. I am forced to do this every six months
on my Campag Record post and Colnago aluminium frame since the grit
build-up causes all those weird ticking sounds that I love to hate . .
.

The reason you're "forced" to do this is that, otherwise, you might face
a "frozen" stem or post.

No, not "the" reason. Re-read my text. I remove the post to get the
grit and **** out the interface, reducing creaking noise. I do agree,
however, that this cleaning process may well prevent a seat post from
seizing - after all, mine never has.

/Robert