Mavic Open Pro or hand built?

Old August 6th 05, 03:36 AM
Splat

Default Mavic Open Pro or hand built?

I'm a 215lbs ex-MTB rider getting into road riding. I have a Specialized
Allez Elite with the stock Alex ALX-295 23 rims with the stock 23 tires. I
can't find any spec info on these rims (what tube sizes can be used?), but
I read that they suck. At my weight I think I should go up to 25 or 28 and
with a better rim. I am thinking Mavic Open Pro. Now, being that I cannot
find any Open Pro pre-built wheelsets (online or LBS) I'm wondering if I
should just get the Open Pro rims and have a local spoke them or ..... what?

Oh, and anyone know any wheel builders in the New Jersey area? Thanks.
---
Splat

Old August 6th 05, 04:31 AM
Wheels by BFWG

"Splat" spamthis wrote in message
I'm a 215lbs ex-MTB rider getting into road riding. I have a Specialized
Allez Elite with the stock Alex ALX-295 23 rims with the stock 23 tires. I
can't find any spec info on these rims (what tube sizes can be used?),
but
I read that they suck. At my weight I think I should go up to 25 or 28 and
with a better rim. I am thinking Mavic Open Pro. Now, being that I cannot
find any Open Pro pre-built wheelsets (online or LBS) I'm wondering if I
should just get the Open Pro rims and have a local spoke them or .....
what?

Oh, and anyone know any wheel builders in the New Jersey area? Thanks.
---
Splat

I'm not a big fan of Open Pro for big riders. I've had much better luck
with Velocity Fusion, or to go light but tough and dependable, try Velocity
AeroHead (OC in the rear). Oh, by the way, I build wheels and am happy to
set you up with a great set of "Clydesdale" wheels that will keep you
rolling, fast, for the long haul. . .

Give me an e-mail shout if you want to discuss the options. . .

John
BFWG
Hand-built wheels for
Bicycles and Wheelchairs

Old August 6th 05, 05:06 AM
daveornee

Splat Wrote:
I'm a 215lbs ex-MTB rider getting into road riding. I have
Specialized
Allez Elite with the stock Alex ALX-295 23 rims with the stock 2
tires. I
can't find any spec info on these rims (what tube sizes can be used?),
but
I read that they suck. At my weight I think I should go up to 25 or 2
and
with a better rim. I am thinking Mavic Open Pro. Now, being that
cannot
find any Open Pro pre-built wheelsets (online or LBS) I'm wondering i
should just get the Open Pro rims and have a local spoke them or ....
what?

Oh, and anyone know any wheel builders in the New Jersey area?
Thanks.
---
Splat

Got $278.85?

New Custom Ultegra Velocity Deep V 32H Wheels
delivered insured to your door. They will keep you riding and you wil
forget about anything Mavic.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...item=717397978

--
daveornee

Old August 6th 05, 05:09 AM
maxo

On Fri, 05 Aug 2005 22:36:13 -0400, Splat wrote:

I have a Specialized
Allez Elite with the stock Alex ALX-295 23 rims with the stock 23 tires. I
can't find any spec info on these rims (what tube sizes can be used?),
but I read that they suck. At my weight I think I should go up to 25 or 28
and with a better rim.

Go up to 28s if they fit.

The Alex rims are perfectly fine. Here's the deal, everybody moans about
Alex rims--but Alex rims are almost always machine built onto cheap hubs.
Last dedicated city bike I had had tens of thousands of miles on cheap
Alex rims. Yes I had to true the rims a couple times over that period
because of major urban abuse, but not more than a mm off over a couple
years. Reason they were so decent? I bought the bike at a great shop in
Chicago that stress relieved, tightened, and trued the machine built
wheels that came on the bike.

Might want to try that first. Pay fifty or so to have the stock wheels
tuned by a pro, and they should last a long time.

I am thinking Mavic Open Pro. Now, being that I
cannot find any Open Pro pre-built wheelsets (online or LBS) I'm wondering
if I should just get the Open Pro rims and have a local spoke them or
..... what?

Open Pros are great, you can get machine built wheels on line. with them,
but they're still gonna need to be finished by a pro.

I forget if those Alex's are low spoke count--that COULD make a
difference--but I've seen them specced on a $3000 Roubaix bike--so they
ain't "cheap" or overly fragile.

Old August 6th 05, 12:07 PM
Peter Cole

Splat wrote:
I'm a 215lbs ex-MTB rider getting into road riding. I have a Specialized
Allez Elite with the stock Alex ALX-295 23 rims with the stock 23 tires. I
can't find any spec info on these rims (what tube sizes can be used?), but
I read that they suck. At my weight I think I should go up to 25 or 28 and
with a better rim. I am thinking Mavic Open Pro. Now, being that I cannot
find any Open Pro pre-built wheelsets (online or LBS) I'm wondering if I
should just get the Open Pro rims and have a local spoke them or ..... what?

Oh, and anyone know any wheel builders in the New Jersey area? Thanks.
---
Splat

I don't know why you're having trouble locating them, Open Pro wheels
are among the most common pre-built (Nashbar/Performance/Supergo,
Colorado Cyclist, etc.).

I haven't had problems with the set I bought several years ago, and I'm
6'10"/235.

Factory-built wheels usually need to be stress-relieved and tensioned,
as they are often built a bit too loose. That only requires a spoke
wrench and a little time (maybe an hour for a pair). Jobst Brandt's book
"The Bicycle Wheel" describes this and much more -- around $25 at Amazon
and many bike shops.
Old August 6th 05, 02:29 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Splat wrote:
I'm a 215lbs ex-MTB rider getting into road riding. I have a Specialized
Allez Elite with the stock Alex ALX-295 23 rims with the stock 23 tires. I
can't find any spec info on these rims (what tube sizes can be used?), but
I read that they suck. At my weight I think I should go up to 25 or 28 and
with a better rim. I am thinking Mavic Open Pro. Now, being that I cannot
find any Open Pro pre-built wheelsets (online or LBS) I'm wondering if I
should just get the Open Pro rims and have a local spoke them or ..... what?

Oh, and anyone know any wheel builders in the New Jersey area? Thanks.
---
Splat

Most mailorder, like Excel or Colorado Cyclist make wheels with OpenPro
rims. as do 'local' shops like mine, who will send them to ya BUT are
the wheels true?

If they are, just get a bigger tire. A 25c or even 28c is a great idea.
Mopre relaible, better [rotection for your rims, more comfy ride.

But yer LBS can't get an OpenPro rim? yeegads, the shape of bike shops
today. No rims, no wheelbuilders, sad...

Old August 6th 05, 03:54 PM
The Quiet Man

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...TOKEN=76732712

$199.00 Search Google for a $20 off $150 coupon.

Old August 6th 05, 04:08 PM
Robin Hubert

maxo wrote:
[...]

Fifty bucks is exhorbitant. More like $25 for a pair.

I am thinking Mavic Open Pro. Now, being that I

cannot find any Open Pro pre-built wheelsets (online or LBS) I'm wondering
if I should just get the Open Pro rims and have a local spoke them or
..... what?

Open Pros are great, you can get machine built wheels on line. with them,
but they're still gonna need to be finished by a pro.

You don't need a pro. All you need is a $20 book and a little reading
comprehension, and a spoke wrench, and maybe some leather work gloves.

Old August 6th 05, 04:10 PM
Robin Hubert

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
Splat wrote:

[...]

Oh, yes, Peter, "there is no bike shop like mine, no bike shop like mine
(refrain)".

And Campagnolo does no wrong (even if they admit it).

Robin Hubert
Old August 6th 05, 04:31 PM
maxo

On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 15:08:40 +0000, Robin Hubert wrote:

Fifty bucks is exhorbitant. More like $25 for a pair.

I was thinking wheelbuilding pricing. Oops.

I am thinking Mavic Open Pro. Now, being that I

cannot find any Open Pro pre-built wheelsets (online or LBS) I'm
wondering if I should just get the Open Pro rims and have a local spoke
them or ..... what?

Open Pros are great, you can get machine built wheels on line. with
them, but they're still gonna need to be finished by a pro.

You don't need a pro. All you need is a $20 book and a little reading
comprehension, and a spoke wrench, and maybe some leather work gloves.

And a truing stand...