Campy question

Old August 8th 05, 06:32 AM
Tony

Default Campy question

Can you use a Campy 10 spd rear mech, with a 9spd chain and 9 spd ergo
shifter

Old August 8th 05, 02:19 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Tony wrote:
Can you use a Campy 10 spd rear mech, with a 9spd chain and 9 spd ergo
shifter

Yes, without modification. Works great.

Old August 9th 05, 12:37 AM
Pete Biggs

Tony wrote:
Can you use a Campy 10 spd rear mech, with a 9spd chain and 9 spd ergo
shifter

I needed to fit 9sp jockey wheel washers to mine to stop the chain rubbing
the cage.

~PB

Old August 9th 05, 01:26 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Pete Biggs wrote:
Tony wrote:
Can you use a Campy 10 spd rear mech, with a 9spd chain and 9 spd ergo
shifter

I needed to fit 9sp jockey wheel washers to mine to stop the chain rubbing
the cage.

~PB

I guess I would love to see your bike someday. 9 and 10s pulleys are
the same ones, same width, packaged as '9-10'. I have installed maybe 3
dozen '10s' rear ders onto 9 and 8s Campagnolo bicycles and have never
had a problem with the chain 'rubbing' the cage. If it did, I am sure
we would or the customer would have noticed...jus don get it why yours
did. If you measure the distances between the cages on '9s' and '10s'
rear ders...the .7mm thickness difference of the chain(9s 6.9, 10s 6.2)
just doesn't make any difference BUT YMMV..

Old August 9th 05, 04:03 PM
Pete Biggs

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
Pete Biggs wrote:
Tony wrote:
Can you use a Campy 10 spd rear mech, with a 9spd chain and 9 spd
ergo shifter

I needed to fit 9sp jockey wheel washers to mine to stop the chain
rubbing the cage.

I guess I would love to see your bike someday.

Since we're being rude, I would love to see your hearing test results
someday.

9 and 10s pulleys are
the same ones, same width, packaged as '9-10'.

You've made the same statement before and have been corrected before.

The actually plastic jockey wheels are the same, marked "C9 C10", but the
metal WASHERS aka dust caps aka spacers ARE DIFFERENT. The 9sp ones are
thicker, giving the chain more clearance. Dimensions on campagnolo.com.
The replacement jockey wheel set I bought was officially packaged "9
speed": www.dotbike.com/Products/ProductsS1C55P71.aspx

....versus www.dotbike.com/Products/ProductsS1C50P72.aspx

I have installed maybe
3 dozen '10s' rear ders onto 9 and 8s Campagnolo bicycles

Then I would expect you to know better and your customers to get better.

and have never
had a problem with the chain 'rubbing' the cage.

Well I did, with 2003 Chorus 10sp long cage mech with SRAM 9sp chain. It
stands to reason as they minimise the clearance for the chain it's
designed to be used with.

~PB

Old August 9th 05, 04:14 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Pete Biggs wrote:

Since we're being rude, I would love to see your hearing test results
someday.

Not trying to be 'rude' but i have consistently said I don't understand
your results. Perhaps some explanation? I have only told you what I
have experienced as has others, like Andy Muzi, paul Kopit, etc.

9 and 10s pulleys are
the same ones, same width, packaged as '9-10'.

You've made the same statement before and have been corrected before.

The actually plastic jockey wheels are the same, marked "C9 C10", but the
metal WASHERS aka dust caps aka spacers ARE DIFFERENT. The 9sp ones are
thicker, giving the chain more clearance. Dimensions on campagnolo.com.
The replacement jockey wheel set I bought was officially packaged "9
speed": www.dotbike.com/Products/ProductsS1C55P71.aspx

...versus www.dotbike.com/Products/ProductsS1C50P72.aspx

I have installed maybe
3 dozen '10s' rear ders onto 9 and 8s Campagnolo bicycles

Then I would expect you to know better and your customers to get better.

Don't be rude...I have not nor do I think now that you need to swap
pulleys or washers for a 9s chain on a 10s rear derailleur. if you want
to-go right ahead.

and have never
had a problem with the chain 'rubbing' the cage.

Well I did, with 2003 Chorus 10sp long cage mech with SRAM 9sp chain. It
stands to reason as they minimise the clearance for the chain it's
designed to be used with.

I guess it 'stands to reason', but I haven't ever seen a reason to swap
pulleys, Including using a 8s chain on a 10s rear der, long, medium or
short cage.

~PB

Old August 9th 05, 04:53 PM
Pete Biggs

Pete Biggs wrote:

Since we're being rude, I would love to see your hearing test results
someday.

Not trying to be 'rude'

Sorry.

but i have consistently said I don't
understand your results. Perhaps some explanation? I have only told
you what I
have experienced as has others, like Andy Muzi, paul Kopit, etc.

My chain particularly rubbed against the outer cage plate, upper section.

I have not nor do I think now that you need to swap
pulleys or washers for a 9s chain on a 10s rear derailleur. if you
want to-go right ahead.

I already have swapped washers and they have improved things. After
nicking the washers, I eBayed the jockey wheels for more than I paid for
the whole lot :-)

I think we should wonder why Campag bother to make the two versions when
they generally like to share parts as much as they do. Anyway, perhaps
the thicker washers are not actually necessary for all cases but everyone
should be aware of what parts are available in case they get a problem
like mine. That was the primary purpose of my posts. I did not say "you
must fit 9sp washers".

~PB