Bikes and Slow Moving Vehicles

Old May 24th 07, 01:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Camilo

Default Bikes and Slow Moving Vehicles

Like most of us, I occassionally encounter rude drivers who just want
to give me grief. It often is in situations where I am not even
impeding them at all.

There certainly are situations where, given my right to ride on the
road but slow speed, I cause some inconvenience and delay to
motorists. The great majority of drivers just deal with it and go on
their way. Occasionally somebody gets ****ed and yells or honks - or
does something dangerous.

It's interesting that in my town it is not uncommon for slow moving
vehicles such as excavation equipment (e.g. back hoe, front loader,
etc) to drive on the city streets as slow speed, often similar to
cycling speed.

I NEVER see or hear any motorist yelling, honking, or cutting off
equipment going as slow as a bicyclist.

Next time I get yelled at by a motorist for going too slow in the
traffic lane, if I get a chance, my rejoinder won't be my usual
"ignore them" or "f&%# you buddy", but instead, I'll just calmly ask
them if they are rude like that to the backhoes and front end loaders
on the road.

I like this idea because the times I don't keep my mouth shut, I tend
to say something rude and inflamatory in return. This will give me
something productive to say, and maybe even get a motorist thinking.

Just a thought.

Old May 24th 07, 03:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Leo Lichtman

"Camilo" wroe: (clip) This will give me something productive to say, and
maybe even get a motorist thinking. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Nothing you can shout at irate motorists is likely to get them thinking.
First of all, the ones who are capable of much thinking probably are not the
ones that honk or shout. Second, they won't get it, even if they hear it
all.

I suggest you get some brochures printed up and hand them to said rude
drivers. Assuming they don't throw it on the ground, and that they read and
understand it, you might actually reach one or two.

Old May 24th 07, 01:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On May 23, 10:30 pm, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:
"Camilo" wroe: (clip) This will give me something productive to say, and
maybe even get a motorist thinking. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Nothing you can shout at irate motorists is likely to get them thinking.
First of all, the ones who are capable of much thinking probably are not the
ones that honk or shout. Second, they won't get it, even if they hear it
all.

I suggest you get some brochures printed up and hand them to said rude
drivers. Assuming they don't throw it on the ground, and that they read and
understand it, you might actually reach one or two.

My state has a cyclist's pamphlet available on the web site, and it
clearly spells out the rules and laws. It starts out with the
statement (in bold) Bicycles are Vehicles and goes on to explain that
bicycles are vehicles with a right to the road and the same duties as
motor vehicles, even giving the RSA for anyone who wants to look it
up. It's only 1 sheet of paper; I keep a copy in each of my cycling
bags, as well as my saddlebag. I keep it for the rare occasion a
traffic incident becomes an actual discussion about rights & laws as
opposed to drive-by screaming matches. I find the offender can
sometimes be a law officer, and if you're going to tell them they're
wrong I feel it's best to be able to back it up. If so inclined you
could attempt to hand a similar pamphlet to all the motorists you get
into it with, but I don't think most would be in the least responsive.

Old May 24th 07, 04:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
SlowRider

On May 23, 6:42 pm, Camilo
I NEVER see or hear any motorist yelling, honking, or cutting off
equipment going as slow as a bicyclist.

I've rarely heard anyone honking at slow-moving equipment, but I've
sure heard/seen them yelling. It's probably the same proportion who
get aggravated with cyclists. And I've seen people cut off large
vehicles too -- there are some dangerous people out there.

I never try to talk to drivers. However I do believe drivers
appreciate it when we use hand signals for turns, stops, etc. I also
try to remember and give a friendly "thanks" wave if someone waits for
me to pass before they turn or shoot across an intersection.

-JR

Old May 24th 07, 05:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
catzz66

Camilo wrote:
I like this idea because the times I don't keep my mouth shut, I tend
to say something rude and inflamatory in return. This will give me
something productive to say, and maybe even get a motorist thinking.

Just a thought.

30 or so years ago, someone gave me some very good advice, that the best
revenge is to have a good life. I'm not always able to recall and apply
it soon enough, but most of the time I can. Sounds cheesy, but it works.
Old May 24th 07, 06:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Wayne Pein

Camilo wrote:

It's interesting that in my town it is not uncommon for slow moving
vehicles such as excavation equipment (e.g. back hoe, front loader,
etc) to drive on the city streets as slow speed, often similar to
cycling speed.

I've got a nice sequence of pictures showing cars and my wife on bike
behind a slower moving front loader that I took while on my bike.
Stopped busses and delivery vehicles and motorists at traffic lights are
much slower than moving bicycles :-)

Here in Chapel Hill, NC, one is either climbing or descending at 25-35
mph. Also, since bike speed is often high from the hills, there are more
opportunities to catch a draft from motor vehicles for longer duration
(since ours speeds are similar), further increasing speed.

Wayne

Old May 25th 07, 12:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
PagCal

Camilo wrote:
Like most of us, I occassionally encounter rude drivers who just want
to give me grief. It often is in situations where I am not even
impeding them at all.

A modified military solute works with road rage drivers. Just 'pack' in
case they stop and try to give you an argument.
Old May 25th 07, 09:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Camilo

On May 24, 7:30 am, SlowRider wrote:

I never try to talk to drivers. However I do believe drivers
appreciate it when we use hand signals for turns, stops, etc. I also
try to remember and give a friendly "thanks" wave if someone waits for
me to pass before they turn or shoot across an intersection.

-JR

I always feel I've accomplished something if I just wave or keep my
mouth shut when someone honks or yells. Also, like you, I try to be
scrupulous in signaling turns and friendly nod or wave to a courteous
driver.

Old May 26th 07, 01:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Leo Lichtman

"Camilo" wrote: I always feel I've accomplished something if I just wave
or keep my mouth shut when someone honks or yells. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This didn't occur on a bicycle, but the idea is the same. I pulled into a
line of traffic, and evidently this action annoyed the person who wound up
behind me at a red light. He honked and waved an arm. I turned and smiled
at him, and "waved back." This infuriated him, and he yelled something, and
honked some more. I gave him another friendly smile and wave. He got so
irate, waving, yelling and honking, that when the light changed, I drove
off, leaving him standing there. And the drivers behind him started honking
AT HIM.

Old May 26th 07, 01:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
mark

catzz66 wrote:

30 or so years ago, someone gave me some very good advice, that the
best revenge is to have a good life. I'm not always able to recall
and apply it soon enough, but most of the time I can. Sounds cheesy,
but it works.

I agree completely, although I'm not always able to recall and apply it
soon enough either. I have made a few phone calls to the police and to
employers (amazing how many of these idiots act this way with their
employer's name and contact info displayed prominently on the vehicle),
and the results have been gratifying.

mark

Slow-Moving Vehicle Emblem - Misuse Daniel Norton General 20 December 7th 06 06:23 AM
[OT] Tracked vehicles John Hearns UK 9 September 16th 05 10:10 AM
New bikes - can't see suspension moving Buck Rogers Australia 6 March 24th 05 12:11 AM
Too slow in Italy. How slow? DaveB Australia 2 February 28th 04 09:38 PM
Monowheel vehicles David S. Maddison Australia 20 September 13th 03 04:16 PM