My uni just fell in the pool!

Old October 13th 07, 02:13 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Apoc56

Default My uni just fell in the pool!

I dried it off as best I could immediately, and it wasn't in long. Do I
need to do more? Like take anything apart to dry it more thoroughly, or
just leave it? What about the foam in the seat?

My new stock KH Trials 20"

--
Apoc56

"If wishes were horses, we'd all be eating steak!"
-Jayne Cobb

"Nobody has Margarita's, With PIZZA!"
-John Crichton
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 13th 07, 02:45 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniAddict

Apoc56 wrote:
I dried it off as best I could immediately, and it wasn't in long. Do I
need to do more? Like take anything apart to dry it more thoroughly, or
just leave it? What about the foam in the seat?

My new stock KH Trials 20"

WD-40 to leech out any remaining water so the bearings won't rust! Wish
I'd thought of this after "splashing" into the water unicycle and
all..TWICE! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buegcuN9X00

--
MuniAddict

My Videos: http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=ttt8699
My favorite FG clip: http://tinyurl.com/28847b
-*"Deathtrap: '35mm cranked coker"*-
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 13th 07, 03:29 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
onelesscar

MuniAddict wrote:
WD-40 to leech out any remaining water so the bearings won't rust! Maybe
remove and repack the bearings too.

Umm...wouldn't recommend it. WD-40 is a solvent, and will
remove/displace mostly grease from the bearings, leaving them dry.
Furthermore, I doubt much water got into the bearings from a quick dip
in the pool. And don't remove and repack the bearings; sealed bearings
aren't intended to be user-servicable.

--
onelesscar

Catching the coker fever.
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 13th 07, 03:34 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniAddict

onelesscar wrote:
Umm...wouldn't recommend it. WD-40 is a solvent, and will
remove/displace mostly grease from the bearings, leaving them dry.
Furthermore, I doubt much water got into the bearings from a quick dip
in the pool. And don't remove and repack the bearings; sealed bearings
aren't intended to be user-servicable.

Hmm, my KH "Sealed" bearings have a rubber cover that simply pops off
allowing the bearings to be cleaned and repacked, so they are indeed
"user-servicable"...at least the ones that came on every KH I've owned.

Old October 13th 07, 03:38 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Brian MacKenzie

if your uni gets wet from anything gross (chlorine in pool, crap in
water, salt in snow,....)

put it in the tub, spray it off with shower water, let dry, and you're
good to go

any time your uni gets wet (with added crud) spray it off with clean
water and you're fine

--
Brian MacKenzie

DVDs Now Available: 'Inner Balance' (http://tinyurl.com/2pd7sm) ,
'Training Wheel Not Required' (http://tinyurl.com/2b8cq6)
'9 Minute Inner Balance DVD Download for $7.99'
(http://tinyurl.com/2adeo2)
Coming Soon: '90 min documentary: Ride The Lobster'
(http://tinyurl.com/2wfltu)
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 13th 07, 03:38 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
onelesscar

MuniAddict wrote:
Hmm, my KH "Sealed" bearings have a rubber cover that simply pops off
allowing the bearings to be cleaned and repacked, so they are indeed
"user-servicable"...at least the ones that came on every KH I've owned.

Hmmm...my "sealed" hard drive has a metal cover that simply unscrews,
allowing the platters to be dusted, so it is indeed
user-servicable...at least the hard drives that come in every computer
I've ever owned.

--
onelesscar

Catching the coker fever.
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 13th 07, 03:41 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniAddict

onelesscar wrote:
Hmmm...my "sealed" hard drive has a metal cover that simply unscrews,
allowing the platters to be dusted, so it is indeed
user-servicable...at least the hard drives that come in every computer
I've ever owned.

There ya go! And afterall, a there's little difference between a few
metal bearings, and printed circuits, various wires, lots of tiny
screws and billions of bits of data.

Old October 13th 07, 04:02 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
feel the light

Sealed bearings are best left alone. When you change your tire, turn the
bearing with your finger, if it feels notchy, replace it.

The common 20x42 size can be bought online for 2 $ each. These will
fit '05 and earlier KH.
http://www.vxb.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?

The new ISIS size is a screwy 22x42. UDC has them for 8$ each. I think
that they will eventually go to the universal size of 22x44, but for
now these 22x42's can be found only at uni dealers. They didn't want
to have to make their bearing holders larger, when they went to the new
standard 22 mm axle. I suspect they will change the frames eventually.

Torker is the worst, and single handedly started the insane (only in
uni !) fad of re greasing sealed bearings. They commissioned 1000's of
a odd size, and charge a rip off price for them. So what should be a 4
$ repair to a used 100$ uni becomes a 30 $ repair. So desperate kids
pry the seals off (which will damage them), hoping to save $. I don't
know what Terry's excuse is LOL.
Most of his uni's use the 2 $ bearing, that should last the life of the
uni in most cases.

Don't spray the bearing with penetrating oil! As onelesscar says, this
is a bad idea because the seal will repeal water, but wd40 will leak in
and make the grease runny.

If you drop your uni in salt water, soak it in a tub. Salt water is
really bad stuff. If I dropped my KH in a pool, I would take off the
seat post maybe. Other then that, chlorine and water should evaporate,
doing no harm. Ride !

--
feel the light
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 13th 07, 04:05 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
SARIN

Did it float?

I am dying to know. I did some trial, and trail riding pretty close to
a rock quarry this summer, and I had to quit because all I could focus
on was my KH20 falling in, and sinking away 200 ft to the bottom never
to be seen again.

My guess is that it -might- float? I would hope that between air in
the tire and the foam seat that it would help the super light frame
stay within sight instead of taking the plunge to the bottom.

--
SARIN

http://www.MySpace.com/X_oskeletal
http://www.usenet.com
Old October 13th 07, 04:07 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Brian MacKenzie

SARIN wrote:

My guess is that it -might- float? (

trials and muni tires (because of their lots of air volume) will
float.

not sure oif a freestyle...not too many freestyles end up in the water

Lets start a pool William Asher Racing 0 April 22nd 07 06:52 AM
pool of sharks greggery peccary General 3 July 10th 06 07:11 AM
JIMMYMAC, SIMMERING IN A POOL OF FECES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [email protected] Australia 0 January 9th 06 12:16 PM
i upd into a pool...irony stinks dorfman Unicycling 11 January 5th 06 08:35 PM
Can someone please clean the gene pool! [email protected] Australia 9 August 7th 04 10:07 AM