Tour de Gastown, Vancouver meetup

Old July 25th 03, 05:32 AM
Bernie

Default Tour de Gastown, Vancouver meetup

Zoot Katz wrote:

Wed, 23 Jul 2003 23:25:31 -0700, ,
Bernie wrote:

Well, I did make it there, sorry I didn't hook up with you guys. I never did
see a "VIP" seating area, watched both races, walked the entire track too. I
think I saw Tom and Zoot, I guess. Did you tie your bikes up at the pointy
end of the course? I saw someone with tee shirt like that, milk carton,
sorry I didn't just say hi. It was the end of the race, and everyone was
heading out. Couldn't do the bar tonight, so went home.

They were great races. I quite enjoyed them.
Bernie

yep. You probably did see us. Ryan was there too. We were lookin' for
you but didn't know what you look like. Wish you'd have said hi.
--
zk

Hey me too.
Bernie

Old July 25th 03, 05:33 AM
Bernie

Zoot Katz wrote:

Thu, 24 Jul 2003 16:15:48 GMT, ,
Mike Latondresse wrote:

Zoot Katz wrote in
:

Wed, 23 Jul 2003 23:25:31 -0700, ,
Bernie wrote:

Well, I did make it there, sorry I didn't hook up with you guys.
I never did see a "VIP" seating area, watched both races, walked
the entire track too. I think I saw Tom and Zoot, I guess. Did
you tie your bikes up at the pointy end of the course? I saw
someone with tee shirt like that, milk carton, sorry I didn't just
say hi. It was the end of the race, and everyone was heading out.
Couldn't do the bar tonight, so went home.

They were great races. I quite enjoyed them.
Bernie

yep. You probably did see us. Ryan was there too. We were lookin'
for you but didn't know what you look like. Wish you'd have said
hi.

I hung around the pointy end for about 20 min and didn't see anyone who
I could recognize. I was wearing my bright red Campy jersey that
everyone thinks is a Cambells soup ad...too bad I missed you.

Well, if you'd said what you were going to wear beforehand, we could
have hunted you down.

There was a big RBM chalked on the sidewalk where Tom was standing
when I showed up around six. We didn't run down Ryan until after the
first Guiness.

The crowd seemed only half as large this year. I heard 28,000.
The promotion of the event was spotty and IMO, insufficient. I think
there were more teams this year though. My biggest disappointment was
the poster being insignificantly different from last year's.
--
zk

Next event I'll hold a sign like greeters at the airport.
Bernie

Old July 25th 03, 07:50 AM
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
Mike Latondresse wrote:

Zoot Katz wrote in
:

Wed, 23 Jul 2003 23:25:31 -0700, ,
Bernie wrote:

Well, I did make it there, sorry I didn't hook up with you guys.
I never did see a "VIP" seating area, watched both races, walked
the entire track too. I think I saw Tom and Zoot, I guess. Did
you tie your bikes up at the pointy end of the course? I saw
someone with tee shirt like that, milk carton, sorry I didn't just
say hi. It was the end of the race, and everyone was heading out.
Couldn't do the bar tonight, so went home.

They were great races. I quite enjoyed them.
Bernie

yep. You probably did see us. Ryan was there too. We were lookin'
for you but didn't know what you look like. Wish you'd have said
hi.

I hung around the pointy end for about 20 min and didn't see anyone who
I could recognize. I was wearing my bright red Campy jersey that
everyone thinks is a Cambells soup ad...too bad I missed you.

Bummer. That was largely my fault: we arrived downtown late, and ended
up just barely getting there before the start of the Women's race. The
VIP area turned out to not exist.

I did have fun meeting up with Zoot and Tom, and then I had to bum out
because my wife wasn't feeling so good (note to self: view next race
stag).

But, good racing, eh? Alison Sydor came in second in the women's race!

--
Ryan Cousineau, http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine
President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club
Old July 25th 03, 04:51 PM
Fabrizio Mazzoleni

Ryan Cousineau wrote in message ...

I did have fun meeting up with Zoot and Tom, and then I had to bum out
because my wife wasn't feeling so good (note to self: view next race
stag).

Why didn't you just lock her in the car?

Old July 25th 03, 06:31 PM
Tom Keats

In article ,
"Fabrizio Mazzoleni" writes:

Ryan Cousineau wrote in message ...

I did have fun meeting up with Zoot and Tom, and then I had to bum out
because my wife wasn't feeling so good (note to self: view next race
stag).

Why didn't you just lock her in the car?

For her own safety? Probably wasn't neccessary, because all
those racer types were pretty much kept away from the spectators.

The odd one or two tried to break loose, but they were quickly
herded back to their own area, and put to work on trainers or
doing warmup laps to keep their attention off any distractions.

If any racers actually did break through, there was plenty of
security around to tazer them back into line.

Come to think of it, the staff did a wonderful job of keeping
the racers under control. I guess they're unsung heroes.
I bet the chix really dig race staff guys.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old July 26th 03, 04:45 PM
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
"Fabrizio Mazzoleni" wrote:

Ryan Cousineau wrote in message ...

I did have fun meeting up with Zoot and Tom, and then I had to bum out
because my wife wasn't feeling so good (note to self: view next race
stag).

Why didn't you just lock her in the car?

She does not support that functionality.

Old July 26th 03, 07:48 PM
Mike Latondresse

Ryan Cousineau wrote in
:

In article ,
"Fabrizio Mazzoleni" wrote:

Ryan Cousineau wrote in message ...

I did have fun meeting up with Zoot and Tom, and then I had to
bum out because my wife wasn't feeling so good (note to self:
view next race stag).

Why didn't you just lock her in the car?

She does not support that functionality.

Ryan, tell me that you didn't drive down there.