mechanical doping & MRI

Old April 27th 16, 03:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default mechanical doping & MRI

http://www.cnet.com/news/mechanical-...-hidden-motor/

I wondered about a magnetometer. They're going to use MRI instead.
Graphic output sounds nice.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 27th 16, 12:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

opioid outbreak at Olmstead Falls ...

do do wha do do wha do

do do
Old April 27th 16, 03:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 7:03:42 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
http://www.cnet.com/news/mechanical-...-hidden-motor/

I wondered about a magnetometer. They're going to use MRI instead.
Graphic output sounds nice.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Hard to believe they use a conventional MRI which would rip the old Gruber Assist right out of the seat tube. If imaging were necessary, a plain-film x-ray would do the trick or millimeter wave scanning ala TSA. It's not like they have to take slices and find cancer.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old April 27th 16, 03:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 4/27/2016 10:18 AM, jbeattie wrote:
On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 7:03:42 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
http://www.cnet.com/news/mechanical-...-hidden-motor/

I wondered about a magnetometer. They're going to use MRI instead.
Graphic output sounds nice.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Hard to believe they use a conventional MRI which would rip the old Gruber Assist right out of the seat tube. If imaging were necessary, a plain-film x-ray would do the trick or millimeter wave scanning ala TSA. It's not like they have to take slices and find cancer.

Maybe ripping the motor out of the seat tube is a feature, not a bug!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 27th 16, 05:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 10:03:42 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
http://www.cnet.com/news/mechanical-...-hidden-motor/

I wondered about a magnetometer. They're going to use MRI instead.
Graphic output sounds nice.

--
- Frank Krygowski

awwww c'mon guys dissseeesse ASO PR

http://propertysoup.net/wp-content/u...er-7438451.jpg
Old April 28th 16, 01:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Wednesday, April 27, 2016 at 7:39:28 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 4/27/2016 10:18 AM, jbeattie wrote:
On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 7:03:42 PM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
http://www.cnet.com/news/mechanical-...-hidden-motor/

I wondered about a magnetometer. They're going to use MRI instead.
Graphic output sounds nice.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Hard to believe they use a conventional MRI which would rip the old Gruber Assist right out of the seat tube. If imaging were necessary, a plain-film x-ray would do the trick or millimeter wave scanning ala TSA. It's not like they have to take slices and find cancer.

Maybe ripping the motor out of the seat tube is a feature, not a bug!

Sort of OT, but I was talking to my son about this last night, and he is more outraged by mechanical doping than body doping, which I thought was odd. He thought the six year ban for Van den Driessche was too light. http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/van-...anical-doping/

He was also riffing on how a tiny motor is about the most obvious thing you can do to cheat -- the cartoon villain saying "I'll put a tiny motor in my bike and beat everyone!"

Sure, the mechanical doping thing is bad, but really, how many watts can one of those tiny motors deliver over the course of a stage. I would be more upset that a competitor had more red blood cells and more ability to exert and recover, particularly in a grand tour -- and body doping can kill a rider (clots and other problems), unlike a tiny motor which is just embarrassing.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old April 28th 16, 01:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

jbeattie writes:

[...]

Perhaps there's someting subconscious that says he who risks death
deserves a bit of an advantage, but risking mere sanction and
embarrassment merits nothing. Not the attitude a sports regulator
should take, of course.

Old April 28th 16, 02:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Wednesday, April 27, 2016 at 8:53:58 PM UTC-4, Radey Shouman wrote:
jbeattie writes:

[...]

Perhaps the outrage is because the fundamental principle of bicycling is
moving oneself by one's own power. And bike racing is fundamentally
about who can do that the best. Mechanical doping violates that
fundamental principle, and does it dishonestly.

A bit related: Electric assist bikes are sure to become much more popular,
especially among people my age or older. And there's nothing wrong with
that. But a tiny voice in my mind still says "Aw, that's cheating."
Illogical, I know, but that little voice doesn't listen to reason.

- Frank Krygowski
Old April 28th 16, 03:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Wed, 27 Apr 2016 17:22:52 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:

[...]

Cheating is cheating, regardless of how it is done.

But realistically, you do business with a guy and he cheats you....
are you going back six years later and do business's with him again?

I suggest that a more realistic ban is "life time".
--

Cheers,

John B.
Old April 28th 16, 03:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Tue, 26 Apr 2016 22:03:39 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

http://www.cnet.com/news/mechanical-...-hidden-motor/

I wondered about a magnetometer. They're going to use MRI instead.
Graphic output sounds nice.

MRI? I don't think so. You don't want anything that's even slightly
magnetic anywhere near an MRI machine:

"How dangerous are magnetic items near an MRI magnet?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BBx8BwLhqg

Methinks it would tear apart the bicycle (and the hiddent motor).

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D