Please help this German Guy!

Old November 28th 04, 09:36 PM
Derk

Default Please help this German Guy!

Hi,

This chap bought a MX Leader, which he got after waiting for 1.5 years:
he was sent a Leader frame (aluminium) twice before receiving the correct
steel frame.

He has a problem with his cables: on his frame the derailleur cable stops
are not mounted on the down tube, as was done with my frame. Every time he
steers to the right, the derailleur cable hits his brake. Can he do
something to make this better?

Pictures of the problem:
http://www.dk-forenserver.de/tour/at...chmentid=14515
http://www.dk-forenserver.de/tour/at...chmentid=14514

Thanks! Derk
Old November 28th 04, 10:33 PM
Lou Holtman

Derk wrote:
Hi,

This chap bought a MX Leader, which he got after waiting for 1.5 years:
he was sent a Leader frame (aluminium) twice before receiving the correct
steel frame.

He has a problem with his cables: on his frame the derailleur cable stops
are not mounted on the down tube, as was done with my frame. Every time he
steers to the right, the derailleur cable hits his brake. Can he do
something to make this better?

Pictures of the problem:
http://www.dk-forenserver.de/tour/at...chmentid=14515
http://www.dk-forenserver.de/tour/at...chmentid=14514

Thanks! Derk

Campagnolo.

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu
Old November 28th 04, 11:27 PM
Dave Thompson

Derk wrote:
Hi,

This chap bought a MX Leader, which he got after waiting for 1.5
years: he was sent a Leader frame (aluminium) twice before receiving
the correct steel frame.

He has a problem with his cables: on his frame the derailleur cable
stops are not mounted on the down tube, as was done with my frame.
Every time he steers to the right, the derailleur cable hits his
brake. Can he do something to make this better?

Pictures of the problem:
http://www.dk-forenserver.de/tour/at...chmentid=14515
http://www.dk-forenserver.de/tour/at...chmentid=14514

Thanks! Derk

The easiest thing to do would be to exchange the cable into the 'other'
adjuster. In other words, the front change cable/housing goes to the right
adjuster and the rear change cable/housing goes to the left adjuster. Then
cross the cables before they enter the cable guide underneath the bottom
bracket.

Old November 29th 04, 12:11 AM
jim beam

Derk wrote:
Hi,

This chap bought a MX Leader, which he got after waiting for 1.5 years:
he was sent a Leader frame (aluminium) twice before receiving the correct
steel frame.

He has a problem with his cables: on his frame the derailleur cable stops
are not mounted on the down tube, as was done with my frame. Every time he
steers to the right, the derailleur cable hits his brake. Can he do
something to make this better?

Pictures of the problem:
http://www.dk-forenserver.de/tour/at...chmentid=14515
http://www.dk-forenserver.de/tour/at...chmentid=14514

Thanks! Derk

have your "friend"

1. cross the cables - keep right side with right side, but cross inside
of each other in front of the head tube.
2. use proper 4mm non-compressable gear cable housing. the spiral stuff
shown there will lead to poor shifting. make sure "they" use proper
shimano sealed ferrules to keep the muck out and keep shifting reliable
over time.
3. adjust the brake cable so the adjuster is much lower. for a new
bike, that's way out.

when you "friend" has done all this, the cable will still touch on
turning left, but not at a point ever encountered in normal riding.

Old November 29th 04, 05:41 AM
David L. Johnson

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 22:36:45 +0100, Derk wrote:

Hi,

This chap bought a MX Leader, which he got after waiting for 1.5 years:
he was sent a Leader frame (aluminium) twice before receiving the correct
steel frame.

He has a problem with his cables: on his frame the derailleur cable stops
are not mounted on the down tube, as was done with my frame. Every time he
steers to the right, the derailleur cable hits his brake. Can he do
something to make this better?

Pictures of the problem:
http://www.dk-forenserver.de/tour/at...chmentid=14515
http://www.dk-forenserver.de/tour/at...chmentid=14514

I don't think crossing the cables around would do enough to fix the
problem. The real trouble is due to those barrel adjusters, which are
really in the way.

Two solutions:

1) Replace the barrel adjusters with some that work in the middle of the
cable, and use just some sort of washer at the stops. That, along with
maybe the cross-over cable trick perhaps, may work. But crossing the
cables may not be possible, depending on the shape of the downtube.

2) Get strap-on cable stops that attach to the downtube, and use them
instead of the brazed-on fittings. The set-up he has is, frankly, a mess.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | You will say Christ saith this and the apostles say this; but
_`\(,_ | what canst thou say? -- George Fox.
(_)/ (_) |

Old November 29th 04, 06:42 AM
Dave Thompson

Dave Thompson wrote:
Derk wrote:
[...]

In addition to crossing the cables (this works *very* well in a situation
such as this) he can set the barrel adjuster so when the cables have the
proper tension on them, the adjusters are screwed all the way in.

Old November 29th 04, 02:06 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Derk Every time he
steers to the right, the derailleur cable hits his brake. Can he do
something to make this better? BRBR

I answer-Very common with these brakes. A DA has longer arms and is more outta
the way. Also make sure the der cables are rpetty long, so that they bend away,
towards the center of the frame and away from the brake caliper arm.

A Merckx with shimano, I hear it crying from here!!

;-lo

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old November 29th 04, 03:35 PM
Derk

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

Everybody thank you all for your help. This German was desperate and I
couldn't stand to see the MXL suffering any longer.

A Merckx with shimano, I hear it crying from here!!

Maybe this is why his setup doesn't work: the Merckx is resisting!

Greets, Derk
Old November 30th 04, 02:02 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

As I mentioned to Derk, shimano ultegra brake calipers have arms that bend
toward the centerline of the frame. Either a DA front caliper or longish der
housing will help to keep the right side der housing away-ish from the brake
arm. ****poirr design of the caliper, IMO, but ya know doesn't really care.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.