DIY TIRE REMOVAL 3?

Old May 27th 06, 09:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default DIY TIRE REMOVAL 3?

on the way I discovered why slime is slimey - for the first timer the
slime's slime holds the liner on the tire's tread whilst the user
learns to pull tube down and toward the user snagging the liner with a
finger, nail, or tool and pulling upward - ya can pull both down and
out together - works god to raise the liner.
using crc silicone 0n the insides as a talc substitute is a learned
slime liner users operation fersure. In fact, i'm looking backward to
opening the tire up so as to see if the liner is in on the tread 100%

Old June 2nd 06, 09:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

after 300 miles-

inspecting the rim/tire intersection at rim wall, I found a free space,
1/16th, between CRC rubber conditioner film sprayed on rim's braking
surface (see 'brake prep' in tech archives) and the overspray on
the tire sidewall - possible evidence of up/down movement over the
intersection giving the wear I'm trying to eliminate here thru
silicone on the sidewall: this movement tore the **** outta the conti
tt cafe racers' sidewall.

the pasela messenger is HD! not slippery, not negative handling from an
superb carcass: and not conti tt fersure - the messenger is an
excellent rear tire choice for loaded riding - a 35c rear with a 32c
front mounted with conti tt is quality reliability.
http://www.lickbike.com/productpage.aspx?PART_NUM_SUB='1766-28'

I rotated the rear pasela messenger to see what inside after spraying
the insides with CRC silicone not talc or cornstarch and found -

the slime liner was perfectly centered: silicone allowing liner's
sliding into position not sliding out of position.

the specialized thorn proof tube was dented by the slime liner overlap
short of the level needed to start my teeth grinding over the liner
cawsing a surface cut in the $8 tube - a major slime liner problem -
i count 3x more tube blowouts (walmort-bell) from the liner doubling
over than from glass.

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqS...EquipTubesRoad

the tube, liner, tire insides were cleaned and repositioned on the rim.

I, a second trial learner, wiped the sidewall down with a rag, and
experimentally off course squirted finish line dry lube wax with Teflon
onto and into the sidewall/rim wall intersection then pumped erup.

The FL did the job - removing the dirt I left in the sidewall grooves
so with a glance at the heavens I dismounted the tire, got out the 5
gallon pail, washed and brushed the tire clean with dishwasher
detergent.

and remounted: did not allow the FL to dry: result? FL squirted out the
next day no rear brakes - rewiped the sidewall with acetone,

Next time - again rotating tube past the slime liner overlap, I'll
try a scuba suit zipper lube of silicone and wax in stick form for
lubing the t/r intersection. The stick should form a useable cove of
lube over the rimwall's top and give another chance to slide under
the bus.

with the intersection lube, the paselas' sidewall looks undamaged
from the HD commuting, a bit of rubber shingling only, no
circumferential rubber rupture above the TRI

Old June 3rd 06, 06:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

the quantity of dirt on the sidewall at the sidewall/rim is amazing - i
don't do dirt tho the path has construction dirt here and there
grumble about chain cleaning!!
here yagot an expensive tire with the same problem - grinding compound
in the works
rotating and washing the tire every 300 miles??!!