Straighten Alloy Handlebars ?

Old June 3rd 06, 07:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Straighten Alloy Handlebars ?

Bob wrote:
I have a rather unique set of TTT alloy bars that has a slight bend in
them. I think a careful push with a press would bring them back into
line.

How dumb an idea is this? I've heard that alloy should not be rebent.

All bar manufacturers would tell you to replace it. Most modern bars
are too light and thin anyway. The 2001 german Tour magazine destructive
tests on bars found that TTT bars were the absolute worst in terms of
fatigue resistance.

Rob

Old June 4th 06, 04:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Bob wrote:
On Sat, 03 Jun 2006 06:45:49 GMT, Rob Perkins
wrote:

All bar manufacturers would tell you to replace it. Most modern bars
are too light and thin anyway. The 2001 german Tour magazine
destructive tests on bars found that TTT bars were the absolute
worst in terms of fatigue resistance.

Rob

Really? this is going to break up my whole TTT ensemble!

Can anyone tell me what constitutes a "thin wall" bar vs. a
traditional "thick" bar ? How thin is the wall of a thin wall ?

For reference, I have a pair of old thick bars that are 2.35mm thick, and a
set of Easton EC50s that are 1.40mm thick. Butting may change that figure,
but from the barends, that's what they are.

FWIW, I would rebend them, especially if the bend is in the drops, unless
you sprint from the drops often. The stem clamp edges are the most
vulnerable areas for bar failure.
--
Phil