Exploding rim

Old June 4th 06, 05:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Exploding rim

Customer comes in and complains that tire is lumpy, causing bouncing while
riding. Coworker brings it in and mentions the slight hop from tire not
being seated completely. I say, pump it up to the max rating and it should
pop into place. 100psi is the max on the sidewall. He pumps it up
manually.

KAPOW!

5 minutes later... we can now hear each other. We examine the rim and are
surprised to see that the rim had failed. I should have noticed the deep
gouge scoring the rim from the brake pads not having been replaced in time.

http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/rbt/rim.jpg

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old June 4th 06, 05:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

this happened to me once with a heavily worn 4CD, and a 20mm Conti at
150psi!

--
531Aussie

Old June 4th 06, 07:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
Customer comes in and complains that tire is lumpy, causing bouncing while
riding. Coworker brings it in and mentions the slight hop from tire not
being seated completely. I say, pump it up to the max rating and it should
pop into place. 100psi is the max on the sidewall. He pumps it up
manually.

KAPOW!

5 minutes later... we can now hear each other. We examine the rim and are
surprised to see that the rim had failed. I should have noticed the deep
gouge scoring the rim from the brake pads not having been replaced in time.

http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/rbt/rim.jpg

Wow! That's even better than mine:
http://home.pacifier.com/~jwills/rit...s/rites042.htm

Jeff

Old June 4th 06, 01:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"Phil, Squid-in-Training" wrote in
message news:aatgg.83141$IZ2.55845@dukeread07...
Customer comes in and complains that tire is lumpy, causing bouncing while
riding. Coworker brings it in and mentions the slight hop from tire not
being seated completely. I say, pump it up to the max rating and it
should
pop into place. 100psi is the max on the sidewall. He pumps it up
manually.

KAPOW!

5 minutes later... we can now hear each other. We examine the rim and are
surprised to see that the rim had failed. I should have noticed the deep
gouge scoring the rim from the brake pads not having been replaced in
time.

http://plaza.ufl.edu/phillee/rbt/rim.jpg

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Wow, somehting to think about and watch out for, for sure.
I am surprised we haven't seen more of this happening with some of the tires
that can be inflated to 145psi or better.
I guess one needs to ensure their rims aren't getting too thin.

Exploding tires II Frank Krygowski Techniques 287 September 7th 04 02:30 AM
Weird exploding tires Anthony Giorgianni General 29 September 7th 04 01:08 AM
Weird exploding tires Anthony Giorgianni Techniques 34 September 7th 04 01:08 AM
Exploding tires II Brian General 89 August 30th 04 06:22 PM
Exploding tube - General 8 August 21st 04 03:37 PM