Bright Battery Headlights

Old August 27th 10, 05:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

Default Bright Battery Headlights

In my annual quest for a new headlight, I found this duo:

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.a...+Stell a+300L

Seems reasonably priced, and $.30 below MSRP!

Is there anything on the market that is a real bang for the buck in
the super-bright LED category. I don't need really long run times,
but I do need a good mount, sturdy wiring and reliability. No
dynamos, please. -- Jay Beattie.
Old August 27th 10, 05:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Kristian M Zoerhoff

On 2010-08-27, Jay Beattie wrote:
In my annual quest for a new headlight, I found this duo:

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.a...+Stell a+300L

Seems reasonably priced, and $.30 below MSRP!

Is there anything on the market that is a real bang for the buck in
the super-bright LED category. I don't need really long run times,
but I do need a good mount, sturdy wiring and reliability. No
dynamos, please. -- Jay Beattie.

B&M Ixon IQ Speed. I bought mine directly from Peter White, and looooooove
it. Super bright, easy mount to the handlebars, and won't blind oncoming
traffic unless you specifically aim it to.

He also has a bunch of photos of various dynamo and battery beams at
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/headlights.asp if you want to compare.

--

Kristian Zoerhoff

Old August 27th 10, 05:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 8/27/2010 9:11 AM, Jay Beattie wrote:
In my annual quest for a new headlight, I found this duo:

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.a...+Stell a+300L

Seems reasonably priced, and $.30 below MSRP!

Is there anything on the market that is a real bang for the buck in
the super-bright LED category. I don't need really long run times,
but I do need a good mount, sturdy wiring and reliability. No
dynamos, please. -- Jay Beattie.

The consensus on bang-for-the-buck super-bright LED seems to be this
one: "http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.29489".
Old August 27th 10, 06:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.a...ight+&+Motion+....

Seems reasonably priced, and $.30 below MSRP!

*Is there anything on the market that is a real bang for the buck in
the super-bright LED category. *I don't need really long run times,
but I do need a good mount, sturdy wiring and reliability. *No
dynamos, please. -- Jay Beattie.

For that kind of money you can get a BUMM Big Bang and by a VW with
the change! But it's an offroad light, far too strong for road use, as
I suspect the lights above are. For a source, see Peter White.

BUMM's Ixon, available in various versions, is a rechargeable version
of the Cyo dynamo light that several of us find most satisfactory. It
has a public road spread and horizontal cutoff like a car light, is a
better lamp than even on a dynamo at moderate speed than was fitted to
VW in the Beetle days. Again, see Peter White at the reference
Kristian has already given.

The problem with BUMM lights for someone who likes excitement of
buying new lights every year is that they last well, certainly longer
than a year.

Andre Jute
We, the Illuminati
Old August 27th 10, 07:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 8/27/2010 10:12 AM, Andre Jute wrote:
On Aug 27, 5:11 pm, Jay wrote:
In my annual quest for a new headlight, I found this duo:

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.a...ight+&+Motion+...

Seems reasonably priced, and $.30 below MSRP!

Is there anything on the market that is a real bang for the buck in
the super-bright LED category. I don't need really long run times,
but I do need a good mount, sturdy wiring and reliability. No
dynamos, please. -- Jay Beattie.

For that kind of money you can get a BUMM Big Bang and by a VW with
the change! But it's an offroad light, far too strong for road use, as
I suspect the lights above are. For a source, see Peter White.

I'd love to know how many of the Big Bangs have actually been sold at
$1075 (plus $3 for the plug adapter). I was all set to buy one, but I
decided I'd wait for the adapter to be included for $1075.
Old August 27th 10, 09:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Aug 27, 9:25 am, Kristian M Zoerhoff
On 2010-08-27, Jay Beattie wrote:

In my annual quest for a new headlight, I found this duo:

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.a...ight+&+Motion+...

Seems reasonably priced, and $.30 below MSRP!

Is there anything on the market that is a real bang for the buck in
the super-bright LED category. I don't need really long run times,
but I do need a good mount, sturdy wiring and reliability. No
dynamos, please. -- Jay Beattie.

B&M Ixon IQ Speed. I bought mine directly from Peter White, and looooooove
it. Super bright, easy mount to the handlebars, and won't blind oncoming
traffic unless you specifically aim it to.

He also has a bunch of photos of various dynamo and battery beams at
http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/headlights.asp if you want to compare.

Thanks for the endorsement. I had the Inoled 10+ and battery pack on
my short list of bike things to buy with the next $200 burning a hole
in my pocket, but if Peter say's it's "undoubtedly the best road
headlight available for the money", and you are so highly satisfied
with yours... I'm going to revise my wish list.

(I only know that my current, Planet Bike 1-watt, headlight is way
better than no light at all, but not "super-bright".)
Old August 27th 10, 09:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

Default Bright Battery Headlights/Half-priced shoes

On 2010-08-27, Jay Beattie wrote:

[...]

better than no light at all, but not "super-bright".)- Hide quoted text -

Dude, if you have money burning a hole in your pocket, go down to Bike
Gallery TODAY! ALL shoes half-priced. I bought some new commuting
shoes -- just in time to avoid having to pay a cobbler to replace all
the Velcro on my old shoes. I may still have the old shoes fixed.
I'll give them to my jumbo-footed son. -- Jay Beattie.
Old August 27th 10, 10:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Aug 27, 5:11 pm, Jay *wrote:
In my annual quest for a new headlight, I found this duo:

http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.a...ight+&+Motion+...

Seems reasonably priced, and $.30 below MSRP!

* Is there anything on the market that is a real bang for the buck in
the super-bright LED category. *I don't need really long run times,
but I do need a good mount, sturdy wiring and reliability. *No
dynamos, please. -- Jay Beattie.

For that kind of money you can get a BUMM Big Bang and by a VW with
the change! But it's an offroad light, far too strong for road use, as
I suspect the lights above are. For a source, see Peter White.

I'd love to know how many of the Big Bangs have actually been sold at
$1075 (plus $3 for the plug adapter). I was all set to buy one, but I
decided I'd wait for the adapter to be included for $1075.

Yeah, you're missing a couple of exclamation marks there, Steven.

But I wasn't suggesting Jay buy from Peter White, who knows how to
price (!) but from Ebay in Germany, which is what I normally do.
http://sport.shop.ebay.de/Radsport-/...328 6.c0.m282
Just picking a supplier at random and checking the carriage to the
States tells me Jay can have a Big Bang delivered to his door for c720
US dollars, a saving of about a third on the RRP.

This is a strictly theoretical exercise, you understand. For public
roads Jay needs the Big Bang's little brother, the Ixon. But if he
goes offroading in poor light conditions or darkness, the Big Bang
would be very desirable.

Andre Jute
We the Illuminati

Old August 27th 10, 10:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On 2010-08-27, Jay Beattie wrote:

[...]

Perhaps it is time for you to look into a hub dynamo and a Cyo and
give up charging all those batteries. It's what I would do for an
extra margin of security if I commuted your distances. You don't have
to buy the spendy SON hub dynamo; the better Shimano ones are as good
(I have SON and two kinds of Shimano hub dynamos and they're all
fine). The thing is to have the best possible lamp, and that's the Cyo
Plus with a BUMM taillight, also with standlight, switched off the Cyo
(I have the D-Toplight XS Plus, which until recently was the best BUMM
sold, but the Toplight Line Plus is newer and very well spoken of).
Now, with the change out of your two hundred bucks...-- AJ
Old August 27th 10, 10:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On 2010-08-27, Jay Beattie wrote:

[...]

Unfortunately, I don't (have money in my pocket). It's just a wish
list. And there's a whole need list above that. And the headlight
isn't even on top of the wish list (Ortlieb bags). Of course, about
the time I hit something significant that I should have seen in the
dark, the headlight will move up to the "need" list.

Speaking of hitting things that I should have seen, ever since I got
my prescription riding glasses, I seem to have had fewer flat tires.
(I try not to dwell on it so as not to wake the sleeping Murphy.) I
don't think it's so much that I am dodging objects, but am probably
seeing debris zones better and maybe picking a better line.

bright colours th oz unicycle man Australia 0 September 25th 05 02:27 PM
How bright is Bright? Chris Zacho The Wheelman General 29 September 24th 05 09:41 AM
Rides out of Bright Addlac Australia 4 September 11th 05 11:15 AM
Bright ideas David Martin UK 10 January 22nd 05 05:39 PM
So how bright is an EL300? David Martin UK 47 August 28th 04 10:57 PM