no helmet

Old August 31st 10, 10:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default no helmet

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2...ress-lane.html

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old August 31st 10, 11:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman °_°[_2_]

On 8/31/2010 4:44 PM, A. Muzi wrote:
http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2...ress-lane.html

Lesson, if you are going to ride in a lane against traffic moving in
excess of 110 kph on a controlled access urban motorway, better wear a
couple of hundred grams of expanded polystyrene on your head.

/sarcasm [1]

[1] For Michael Press and André Jute, this is NOT a quote of Andy Muzi.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old August 31st 10, 11:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Aug 31, 4:44*pm, AMuzi wrote:
http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2...lled-in-dan-ry...

Sensationalist. It doesn't mention a helmet. Good call on the editors,
as it would have been ridiculous.

Kid was probably high as hell.
Old August 31st 10, 11:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Aug 31, 3:30 pm, Tom Sherman °_°
wrote:
On 8/31/2010 4:44 PM, A. Muzi wrote:http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2...lled-in-dan-ry...

Lesson, if you are going to ride in a lane against traffic moving in
excess of 110 kph on a controlled access urban motorway, better wear a
couple of hundred grams of expanded polystyrene on your head.

/sarcasm [1]

snip

Well, I saw no mention of helmets, but did note "... bicycle riding is
prohibited... ".

I don't know about you, but if I got smacked by an SUV on the
expressway, I'd much rather be wearing a helmet, which isn't at all
the same as saying I would rely on it to save me.

Old September 1st 10, 12:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Aug 31, 11:30*pm, Tom Sherman °_°
wrote:
On 8/31/2010 4:44 PM, A. Muzi wrote:http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2...lled-in-dan-ry...

Lesson, if you are going to ride in a lane against traffic moving in
excess of 110 kph on a controlled access urban motorway, better wear a
couple of hundred grams of expanded polystyrene on your head.

/sarcasm [1]

In a thread about a dead cyclist it is difficult to imagine any
remarks in poorer taste than Sherman's.

[1] For Michael Press and André Jute, this is NOT a quote of Andy Muzi.

A thread about a dead cyclist isn't the place to carry on your petty
flame wars, Sherman. Your behaviour is in the worst taste possible.

Andre Jute

Old September 1st 10, 02:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 16:44:02 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2...ress-lane.html

Same incident:
http://wbbm.cbslocal.com/2010/08/30/bicyclist-struck-on-dan-ryan-dies/
Hippchen was not wearing a helmet at the time of the crash,
sources said. He was struck by a black Jeep sport-utility
vehicle, which had to be towed from the scene.

No helmet. In order to make a Jeep SUV inoperable, there must have
been quite an impact with the bicycle, or maybe the wall. Nothing
useful in the photos.

The first URL says it's a black Lexus LX470. The others say a black
Jeep SUV. Well, they probably got the black part right.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old September 1st 10, 03:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Kristian M Zoerhoff

On 2010-09-01, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 16:44:02 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2...ress-lane.html

Same incident:
http://wbbm.cbslocal.com/2010/08/30/bicyclist-struck-on-dan-ryan-dies/
Hippchen was not wearing a helmet at the time of the crash,
sources said. He was struck by a black Jeep sport-utility
vehicle, which had to be towed from the scene.

No helmet. In order to make a Jeep SUV inoperable, there must have
been quite an impact with the bicycle, or maybe the wall. Nothing
useful in the photos.

The impact would have taken place at close to 70 mph that time of night, in
that direction (inbound to the Loop). Momentum is a bitch.

--

Kristian Zoerhoff

Old September 1st 10, 04:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nexus7[_3_]

On Aug 31, 4:44*pm, AMuzi wrote:
http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2...lled-in-dan-ry...

Please post for me a link where I can buy a helmet that will save my
life if I were to,
- ride the wrong way, and collide with a car,
- at a closing speed of over 60 mph.

Price no bar.

Old September 1st 10, 06:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Sep 1, 4:25*pm, Nexus7 wrote:
On Aug 31, 4:44*pm, AMuzi wrote:

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2...lled-in-dan-ry...

Please post for me a link where I can buy a helmet that will save my
life if I were to,
- ride the wrong way, and collide with a car,
- at a closing speed of over 60 mph.

Price no bar.

You're going to be disappointed, pal, but then I guess you know that
already!

All the money in the world can't buy security against stupidity
(whether drug-induced, as Max speculated, or not). I don't reckon even
full body armour, or being strapped into a roll cage, woulda saved
that guy. Several of the reports mentioned that he was riding against
the traffic... At expressway closing speed the instantaneous
deceleration of the impact -- which Mike will calculate for us (pretty
please?) since I'm off on a ride -- will mush his innards; game over,
no penetration or skull-cracking required. We are also told he hit
that Lexus SUV (maybe a Jeep) hard enough to immobilize it. -- Andre
Jute
Old September 1st 10, 07:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Wed, 1 Sep 2010 10:15:53 -0700 (PDT), Andre Jute
wrote:

On Sep 1, 4:25*pm, Nexus7 wrote:
On Aug 31, 4:44*pm, AMuzi wrote:

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2...lled-in-dan-ry...

Please post for me a link where I can buy a helmet that will save my
life if I were to,
- ride the wrong way, and collide with a car,
- at a closing speed of over 60 mph.

Price no bar.

You're going to be disappointed, pal, but then I guess you know that
already!

Maybe not. If you look at the leathers and plastic armor favored by
the motorcycle riders, it might be possible to adapt some of the
technology to bicycles. In automobiles, the trend is toward a cocoon
like enclosure surrounding the occupants. It may take some time to
get up to a 60mph rating, but it's a start. Maybe just gluing blocks
of stryrofoam, as in the helmets, to some manner of protective suit,
might be a start. Personally, I would favor a pressure suit, that
inflates when excessive G forces are detected. It would be much like
wearing and air bag. You would then bounce down the road, as in the
Mars landers. Anyway, don't give up quite so soon.

All the money in the world can't buy security against stupidity
(whether drug-induced, as Max speculated, or not).

Well, they're trying. Using public money for public transit is
occasionally partially justified in the reduction in traffic
accidents.

I don't reckon even
full body armour, or being strapped into a roll cage, woulda saved
that guy.

Difficult to tell from the photos. The bicycle in the photo doesn't
look all that mangled. I've seen what's left of a bicycle that's been
in a much slower moving accident. The bicycle usually ends up looking
like a pretzel. At 70 mph, my guess is that there would be components
strewn all over the road. Yet, the bicycle in the photo looks largely
intact.

Several of the reports mentioned that he was riding against
the traffic... At expressway closing speed the instantaneous
deceleration of the impact -- which Mike will calculate for us (pretty
please?) since I'm off on a ride -- will mush his innards; game over,
no penetration or skull-cracking required. We are also told he hit
that Lexus SUV (maybe a Jeep) hard enough to immobilize it. -- Andre
Jute

Yep. It's the sudden change in speed, both on impact and during the
process of landing, that kills.