Best Geared and Dynamo Hubs for Winter Riding?

Old November 24th 10, 01:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tºm Shermªn™ °_°

Default Best Geared and Dynamo Hubs for Winter Riding?

I am considering a building up a bicycle for use in snow and slop. The
frameset I am considering uses ISO 559-mm wheels, has vertical dropouts,
and disc brake tabs: http://www.ransbikes.com/Dynamik09/FrameSet09.htm.

Which internal geared hub (Shimano, SRAM, Sturmey Archer) is the best
sealed and/or easily maintained? Which allows for easiest wheel changes?

The dynamo hub should have easily maintainable or replaceable bearings.

Hubs with drum or roller brakes, or I am better off with disc brakes for
cruddy conditions?

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old November 24th 10, 02:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Kristian M Zoerhoff

On 2010-11-24, T?m Sherm?n? ?_? wrote:

The dynamo hub should have easily maintainable or replaceable bearings.

Just get a SON and forget about it. Peter J. White will hook you up if the
LBS can't/won't order it.

--

Kristian Zoerhoff

Old November 24th 10, 02:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Nov 24, 1:20*am, Tºm Shermªn™ °_°
wrote:
I am considering a building up a bicycle for use in snow and slop. *The
frameset I am considering uses ISO 559-mm wheels, has vertical dropouts,
and disc brake tabs: http://www.ransbikes.com/Dynamik09/FrameSet09.htm.

Which internal geared hub (Shimano, SRAM, Sturmey Archer) is the best
sealed and/or easily maintained? *Which allows for easiest wheel changes?

If this is a commuter, you might do well to splash out on the Rohloff,
which is a very hardy beast. If this will be an occasional or weekend
bike, the Shimano premium 8 speed has Ultegra level bearings and
seals; no idea that is good enough. It is however serviced every 5000
miles by standing it in an oil bath for a bit and putting it back in
the case. That's it.

The dynamo hub should have easily maintainable or replaceable bearings.

SON may or may not have replaceable bearing but it's a factory job.
Shimano is too cheap to justify the work; just buy a new dynamo hub.
You can easily find the Shimano service sheet and see if you want to
do the work, and how difficult it is, and which special tools you
need.

Hubs with drum or roller brakes, or I am better off with disc brakes for
cruddy conditions?

I don't know much about cruddy conditions, but fully enclosed brakes
seem a good idea. What I can tell you is that Shimano's roller brakes
work as strongly as a disc brake (I have both on very similar bike),
have all the advanteges of a disc brake -- but not its cost in
replacement parts.

Andre Jute
Visit Andre's recipes:
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/fiultra/FOOD.html
Old November 24th 10, 03:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

hink outside the

http://www.opticsplanet.net/streamlight-lanterns.html

lead acid, or 1 mile

buy a spare batt, go mil spec .5

be honest reasonably priiced bike lights are insufficient
Old November 24th 10, 03:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tºm Shermªn™ °_°

http://www.decisiondrivinguk.com/28.jpg

Old November 24th 10, 03:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Nov 23, 7:20*pm, Tºm Shermªn™ °_°
wrote:
I am considering a building up a bicycle for use in snow and slop. *The
frameset I am considering uses ISO 559-mm wheels, has vertical dropouts,
and disc brake tabs: http://www.ransbikes.com/Dynamik09/FrameSet09.htm.

Which internal geared hub (Shimano, SRAM, Sturmey Archer) is the best
sealed and/or easily maintained? *Which allows for easiest wheel changes?

The dynamo hub should have easily maintainable or replaceable bearings.

Hubs with drum or roller brakes, or I am better off with disc brakes for
cruddy conditions?

Nexus 8 with coaster brake. Put a S/A drum/dyno up front.
Old November 24th 10, 05:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

In article
,
landotter wrote:

On Nov 23, 7:20*pm, Tºm Shermªnⓢ °_°
wrote:
I am considering a building up a bicycle for use in snow and slop.
*The frameset I am considering uses ISO 559-mm wheels, has vertical
dropouts, and disc brake tabs:
http://www.ransbikes.com/Dynamik09/FrameSet09.htm.

Which internal geared hub (Shimano, SRAM, Sturmey Archer) is the
best sealed and/or easily maintained? *Which allows for easiest
wheel changes?

The dynamo hub should have easily maintainable or replaceable
bearings.

Hubs with drum or roller brakes, or I am better off with disc
brakes for cruddy conditions?

Nexus 8 with coaster brake. Put a S/A drum/dyno up front.

Be aware that the Nexus hub is not the maintenance free hub many people
think it is and that a winter's use may corrode the internals, unless
you practice reasonable maintenance. My LBS reports having to sell
people new hubs frequently because of being ridden throughout the winter
in sloppy weather. These hubs are not easily repairable due to
difficulties in getting replacement parts (at least through Shimano USA).

I just rode a bike with one of these a few weeks ago. It seems like a
nice hub and was very pleasant. The gears were well distributed,
shifting was snappy, it felt smooth and not noticeably inefficient.
This was a new hub, not yet run in.

For winter use, don't use a SON dynamo hub, if you live in a
sloppy/snowy/salty climate. Too expensive to expose to that. Get one
of the Shimano ones which cost half as much and are 96% as good.

Also consider not bringing the bike in and out of warm places during the
winter. This creates condensation and, with large bodied hubs, can pull
water in through the seals as the air inside the hub changes temperature.

--
Gotta make it somehow on the dreams you still believe.
Old November 24th 10, 05:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Nov 24, 11:45Â*am, Tim McNamara wrote:
In article
,

Â*landotter wrote:
On Nov 23, 7:20 pm, Tºm Shermªnⓢ °_°
twsherman REMOVE@THIS southslope.net wrote:
I am considering a building up a bicycle for use in snow and slop.
The frameset I am considering uses ISO 559-mm wheels, has vertical
dropouts, and disc brake tabs:
http://www.ransbikes.com/Dynamik09/FrameSet09.htm.

Which internal geared hub (Shimano, SRAM, Sturmey Archer) is the
best sealed and/or easily maintained? Which allows for easiest
wheel changes?

The dynamo hub should have easily maintainable or replaceable
bearings.

Hubs with drum or roller brakes, or I am better off with disc
brakes for cruddy conditions?

Nexus 8 with coaster brake. Put a S/A drum/dyno up front.

Be aware that the Nexus hub is not the maintenance free hub many people
think it is and that a winter's use may corrode the internals, unless
you practice reasonable maintenance. Â*My LBS reports having to sell
people new hubs frequently because of being ridden throughout the winter
in sloppy weather. Â*These hubs are not easily repairable due to
difficulties in getting replacement parts (at least through Shimano USA).

I've ice-biked thousands of miles with a Nexus. No problems. I alway
brought the bike in at night and gave it a quick towel-off. I doubt
the problem is moisture, the hub is pretty well sealed. Could be road
salt eating away the seals, though.

The only problem I've had in severe winter conditions is moisture in
the cable housings freezing them up. That's why I think a coaster
brake can be a really good choice for winter riding--plus, no cold
brake levers to make your hands numb.
Old November 24th 10, 06:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Cam

Â*landotter wrote:
[...]

I have ridden the past two winters in Toronto with a Nexus and I love
it. I commute 18 km round trip to downtown through salt, slush and
crud and haven't yet felt the urge to crack the hub open to service
it. Sheldon Brown warned on his web site that he had seen more
problems due to poor servicing rather than a lack of servicing on this
hub. This bike never gets to go indoors unless I'm working on it.
If I do ever crack it open I may retrofit the coaster brake. Keeping
my hands off the brake levers gets more attractive each day.
Old November 24th 10, 06:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

Â*landotter wrote:
[...]

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...?ModelID=49735

Crabon fibre isn't a conductor.

question on geared hubs kington99 Unicycling 0 June 30th 08 04:13 PM
question on geared hubs harper Unicycling 0 June 30th 08 04:12 PM
question on geared hubs einrad101 Unicycling 3 June 30th 08 09:33 AM
geared unicycle hubs edge Unicycling 4 May 20th 05 03:33 AM
Geared hubs are NOT available for public sale harper Unicycling 12 June 30th 04 08:05 AM