On Topic = Sachs 8 spd Freewheel cog assembly?

Old November 22nd 12, 02:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

Default On Topic = Sachs 8 spd Freewheel cog assembly?

As a break from the other off topic posts.

I have an old Sachs 8 speed corncob freewheel I put on a wheel for one of my vintage Columbus SL bicycles. A friend of mine thinks that a few (4?) of the smaller cogs are machined as a single piece. I think they are all individual cogs. Any of you bicycling gurus know which of us is right? Andrew?

Thanks and cheers
Old November 22nd 12, 03:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DirtRoadie

On Nov 21, 7:37*pm, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
As a break from the other off topic posts.

I have an old Sachs 8 speed corncob freewheel I put on a wheel for one of my vintage Columbus SL bicycles. A friend of mine thinks that a few (4?) of the smaller cogs are machined as a single piece. I think they are all individual cogs. Any of you bicycling gurus know which of us is right? Andrew?

Thanks and cheers

Like this?
http://www.euroasiaimports.com/produ...668_detail.jpg

I can't claim sufficient personal experience to know with 100%
certainty but I'd bet dollars to donuts that the cogs are individual.
And in the photo above there are visible breaks.

Oh - here you go:
http://www.bikepro.com/products/freewheels/sachs.shtml

That seems to describe how they are assembled.

Side note - Anyone know why the Bike Pro site is still in existence.
Was there a time warp I didn't hear about?

DR
Old November 22nd 12, 04:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Wednesday, November 21, 2012 10:59:26 PM UTC-5, DirtRoadie wrote:
[...]

Thanks for those links.

Cheers
Old November 22nd 12, 02:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

ahhh shheet DR I'm already stacked up over Cleveland

http://www.bikepro.com/products/metals/metals.shtml

yawl cahn call these peoples n they'll tell you a 700c tire DOES fit on a 700c rim ??

Old November 22nd 12, 06:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 11/21/2012 8:37 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
As a break from the other off topic posts.

I have an old Sachs 8 speed corncob freewheel I put on a wheel for one of my vintage Columbus SL bicycles. A friend of mine thinks that a few (4?) of the smaller cogs are machined as a single piece. I think they are all individual cogs. Any of you bicycling gurus know which of us is right? Andrew?

Thanks and cheers

Your pal's mistaken.

The Sachs 8 freewheel has individual sprockets. Many
interchange with Regina of that era.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old November 22nd 12, 06:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 11/21/2012 9:59 PM, DirtRoadie wrote:
[...]

No idea why but it's very useful.

We keep some archival materials on our site as well, but
certainly not to his extent!