Mini Pump

Old May 16th 21, 01:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Mini Pump

On Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 10:34:24 PM UTC-5, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 13 May 2021 21:39:30 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 5/13/2021 9:28 PM, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 13 May 2021 08:16:09 -0700, sms
wrote:

On 5/12/2021 7:48 PM, John B. wrote:

snip

I was, probably rather obscurely, commenting on the comments about
inflation. Dumping money into an economy normally results in an
increase in costs (inflation) :-)

True. But there are worse things than inflation. The U.S. has had many
years of extremely low or zero inflation. One side effect of this has
been similarly extremely low interest rates on savings. When I was young
you could but your money in a Certificate of Deposit and get 10%
interest plus a free toaster or blender. These days you're lucky to get
a 2% return. Many big-ticket items have increased in price at a rate
much lower than the inflation rate.

Well yes, the U.S. has years with minimal or very negative inflation..
in 1930, for example the inflation rate was -6.4% and the GMD growth
was -8.5% :-)

But basically the inflation rate tends to follow the growth in the
economy. Not perfectly , but generally any growth in GDP is balanced
by an increase in the inflation.

Re interest rates, I am not really on to of this as basically our bank
accounts are in the nature of "ready cash" and "investment money" is
invested in (hopefully) inflation resistant places such as real estate
- The Bangkok house cost 200,000 baht for the land and 400,000 to
build the house and today my wife reckons we would ask 8 million if we
wanted to sell. Of course we've had the house for 40 years :-) but
never the less, better then cash. And if you calculate the rental,
which we didn't pay for all those years, then it is an even better.

In many places, notably Chicago, that's a losing proposition
after taxes. What's your land tax like in Thailand?

We own two houses, the "Bangkok house" where we lived for about 40
years and the "Country house" where we have lived for the last 2
years. The Bangkok house we pay no tax on the land and the Country
house we were billed 2,000 baht (~$66) land tax but due to the Covid
they only charged us 200 baht ($6.).

Hmmmmm. I believe there might be a very different economic, monetary system in effect in Thailand compared to the US of A. At least on property taxes.

I'm not sure of this but I believe that if a house is your domicile
then you don't pay any tax on it. At least we never paid any tax on
the Bangkok house but when we bought the Country house my wife had to
show her "record of domicile" which was, of course, the Bangkok house
and thus the newly purchased house couldn't be a domicile so we get
billed for taxes.

I refer to "us and our" but in fact it is nearly impossible for a
foreigner to own property (land) in Thailand so all property is
actually in my wife's name. Funny though, As my wife is a married
woman she has to have her husband certify that he is aware that she is
buying property and although they will not register property in my
name they are quite happy for me to certify that I am aware that my
wife is buying the place :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old May 16th 21, 02:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 5/13/2021 7:28 PM, John B. wrote:

snip

Re interest rates, I am not really on to of this as basically our bank
accounts are in the nature of "ready cash" and "investment money" is
invested in (hopefully) inflation resistant places such as real estate
- The Bangkok house cost 200,000 baht for the land and 400,000 to
build the house and today my wife reckons we would ask 8 million if we
wanted to sell. Of course we've had the house for 40 years :-) but
never the less, better then cash. And if you calculate the rental,
which we didn't pay for all those years, then it is an even better.

Usually real estate is a much better option though there are no
guarantees. As we saw during the 2008 recession and mortgage crisis, you
can lose money in real estate too. In the U.S. rust belt states houses
have not necessarily been a good investment.

The pandemic has driven up housing prices in Silicon Valley to very high
levels, while rents for apartments have plunged. A house on my street
just sold this week for around $3 million. These are not luxury
mansions, they are 1960's wood-frame tract houses, around 1900-2500
square feet, on about 0.17 acre lots, that sold for less than $20,000
when they were new in 1963. The cumulative rate of inflation was about
175% since 1963. The $3 million house increased in price by 14,900%
since 1963.

Remote working, which many companies are going to continue to allow
post-pandemic, has allowed people to buy houses in more affordable areas
instead of renting small apartments at very high rents. There are
ridiculous offers by apartment owners desperate to get new tenants.
Old May 17th 21, 03:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_4_]

On Monday, May 10, 2021 at 8:53:05 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, May 10, 2021 at 7:56:26 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Op maandag 10 mei 2021 om 16:22:09 UTC+2 schreef Wolfgang Strobl:
Am Mon, 10 May 2021 04:26:45 -0700 (PDT) schrieb Lou Holtman
:

Op maandag 10 mei 2021 om 12:57:03 UTC+2 schreef Wolfgang Strobl:
Am Mon, 10 May 2021 01:45:06 -0700 (PDT) schrieb Lou Holtman
:
Op maandag 10 mei 2021 om 07:45:24 UTC+2 schreef James:
On 10/5/21 11:50 am, Frank Krygowski wrote:

It might be handy to see a chart of "pump strokes to 100 psi" for
various brands and models, starting from an empty tube.

Don't forget effort (force) to achieve said pressure.

Diameter and length affects volume / stroke.

Diameter also affects force @ pressure.

To minimize force and strokes, opt for smaller diameter and longer barrel.

However - is it still a "mini pump" with a long barrel?

I've got a Lezyne road drive pump for my road bike with up to 25mm tyres
@ 100psi, and a higher volume Lezyne pump for my gravel bike that has
42mm tyres @ 50psi.

100psi is easily achievable for the road bike, but I wouldn't want to
use the larger diameter & volume gravel bike pump to reach 100psi,
though it might take fewer strokes.

--
JS

100 psi easily achieved with a minipump? I don't believe that. Did you ever checked that?
I don't either. My minipump does about 5.5 bar ~ 80 psi. This takes
quite some time and leaves me somewhat exhausted. Tried this recently,
after a similar discussion in the German language bicycling newsgroup.

https://www.mystrobl.de/Plone/radfahren/technik/komponenten/taschen/DSC_3462.jpeg
5.5 bar is enough for me on that bike, for getting home.
I won more than one bet from people stating that they can
achieve 7 bars with a minipump. They were allowed as much
time they wanted after which I measured the pressure. Most
of the times it was 5 bar. Still enough to make it home. I
switched to CO2 catridges (carry two cartridges and two
tubes) and so far they worked well for me. 7 bar in a few
seconds.
Many years ago I got talked into CO2 cartridges, bought three of these
and stowed them in the desk in my office, as a backup. Months later,
working overtime, it had gotten late. So I packed my things and went to
the basement of our office building where I had parked my bicycle.

https://www.mystrobl.de/Plone/radfahren/IMG-2461.JPG/view.html

There I noticed a flat tire. :-( Patching was no problem, I always
carry both a spare tube and a patching set, using the spare tube only in
cases where patching would fail. But where is the pump? At home, of
course. Back at my desk, I found the cartriges, mounted the adapter
necessary für Presta/Sclaverand valves, walked back to my bicycle and
tried to fill the patched tire. The first became empty before I was
able to fasten the adapter strong enough to get some CO2 into the tire
at all. The second cartridge worked, but only to let me notice that
there was a second hole in the tube. So I inspected the mantle of the
rear wheel, again, noticing and removing another piece of glass.

Only with the third cartridge did I get barely enough CO2 into the rear
wheel to be able to ride home, carefully.

Lesson learned: CO2 cartridges are no replacement for a working pump.

In my case they are. You have to use the correct inflater and spend one catridge at home to practice. Choose wisely between 12, 16 and 32 gr cartridges. YMMV.

There is technique involved, and if you're careless, you can blow through cartridges. I still carry a back-up clown pump, at least when riding alone..

That seemed a good idea to me until most of the expensive road tires got non-puncture belts. I've still gotten a couple of unfixable flats but learned my lesson not to ride directly through broken whiskey bottles which sadly enough seem to be along the roads in the more expensive areas.
Old May 18th 21, 01:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Mon, 17 May 2021 12:29:43 +0200, Rolf Mantel
wrote:

Am 16.05.2021 um 02:50 schrieb :
Hmmmmm. I believe there might be a very different economic, monetary
system in effect in Thailand compared to the US of A. At least on
property taxes.

Yes, the USA is the only country I know of that uses property taxes as
the prime source of income for the community.

In Germany e.g. property taxes are based on a "fictitious property value
as of year x", so that short-term valuation changes don't impact the
property tax. Additionally, property taxes are typically €500 per
year for a single family house and typically is only 10% of the a city's
income, the bulk being local income taxes and business taxes (schooling
is paid for by state taxes in order to ensure equal opportunities
between rich and poor cities).

In UK, property taxes were completely replaced by the 'poll tax' in 1990
on the order of UKP 200 per adult person per year (with the opposition
claiming that the Thatcher government had been able to complete the
seemingly impossible task of replacing the unjust property tax system by
a system that was even more unjust).

Rolf

Didn't they change the Poll tax? I remember an English chap worked for
us in Indonesia ranting and raving about the new Poll Tax. Unfair!
Unfair! It seems that he had been paying no tax at all - living and
working outside the U.K - and now he was going to have to pay the poll
tax :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

mini mini pump recommendation needed Simon Lewis Techniques 31 March 27th 10 07:19 AM
Mini pump Paul UK 15 April 3rd 06 11:38 PM
mini tire pump terrybigwheel Unicycling 4 February 3rd 06 01:28 AM
Mini-pump to go Paul D UK 17 January 23rd 05 01:07 PM
Mini Pump Jiyang Chen General 12 August 16th 03 12:12 AM