garage storage solution ideas?

Old September 19th 10, 07:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Default garage storage solution ideas?

Hi all

got some friends that have three kids living with them, looking for a
storage solution for many bicycles in garage, I suggested buying some of
those wheel hook type things and lining them up against a wall, that
idea didn't fly, apparently he had a bike in the past with crappy single
wall rims and claims that using those hooks put a bend in a rim. (not
sure how that's possible without kids hanging from bike, but
whaddayagonnado?)

any other ideas, save for scratch building something that will hold
bikes two deep and two high (or more) against a wall by the top tube?

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old September 19th 10, 07:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Kristian M Zoerhoff

On 2010-09-19, Nate Nagel wrote:
Hi all

got some friends that have three kids living with them, looking for a
storage solution for many bicycles in garage, I suggested buying some of
those wheel hook type things and lining them up against a wall, that
idea didn't fly, apparently he had a bike in the past with crappy single
wall rims and claims that using those hooks put a bend in a rim. (not
sure how that's possible without kids hanging from bike, but
whaddayagonnado?)

any other ideas, save for scratch building something that will hold
bikes two deep and two high (or more) against a wall by the top tube?

I have ceiling-mounted hangers with pulleys (I think I bought them at
Target). Bolt into the ceiling joists, bolt a cleat for the cord to the
wall, and raise and lower the bikes as needed. It's a bit of a pain, but my
2-car garage barely holds 2 cars, so I need all the space I can get.

--

Kristian Zoerhoff

Old September 19th 10, 08:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Sep 19, 7:38*pm, Nate Nagel wrote:
Hi all

got some friends that have three kids living with them, looking for a
storage solution for many bicycles in garage, I suggested buying some of
those wheel hook type things and lining them up against a wall, that
idea didn't fly, apparently he had a bike in the past with crappy single
wall rims and claims that using those hooks put a bend in a rim. *(not
sure how that's possible without kids hanging from bike, but
whaddayagonnado?)

any other ideas, save for scratch building something that will hold
bikes two deep and two high (or more) against a wall by the top tube?

Those hooks that hang up a bike by its rims, wheels "standing" on the
wall can also be paired and attached in horizontal line along he wall,
to hang up a bike by supporting its top tube. Very wasteful of wall
space though, and a pain in the back to lift the heavier adult bikes
onto the top row.

Another idea is spring loaded tool clips, garden tool size, fixed to
the wall (more likely the edge of a sturdy shelf wide enough to allow
for overhang of saddle and handlebar) and the top tube clips in at two
places.

Andre Jute
Love kids, especially other people's
Old September 19th 10, 08:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_3_]

Op 19-9-2010 20:38, Nate Nagel schreef:
Hi all

got some friends that have three kids living with them, looking for a
storage solution for many bicycles in garage, I suggested buying some of
those wheel hook type things and lining them up against a wall, that
idea didn't fly, apparently he had a bike in the past with crappy single
wall rims and claims that using those hooks put a bend in a rim. (not
sure how that's possible without kids hanging from bike, but
whaddayagonnado?)

Rubbish. How much do his bike weigh and how much does he weigh himself?
One spoke pulls with 100 kg on the rim.
I trust my bikes to those hooks:

http://picasaweb.google.nl/LoetjeH/M...07323684450194

Lou
Old September 19th 10, 08:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Nate Nagel wrote:
Hi all

got some friends that have three kids living with them, looking for a
storage solution for many bicycles in garage, I suggested buying some of
those wheel hook type things and lining them up against a wall, that
idea didn't fly, apparently he had a bike in the past with crappy single
wall rims and claims that using those hooks put a bend in a rim. (not
sure how that's possible without kids hanging from bike, but
whaddayagonnado?)

any other ideas, save for scratch building something that will hold
bikes two deep and two high (or more) against a wall by the top tube?

You won't get any farther than we do here on r.b.t.
perennially explaining that a wheel, which easily survives
impacts with 100 lb per wheel loads at speed, is not
affected by statically hanging a bike's weight by a hook. A
child's weight is a red herring, not significant here.

People believe what they will. There are dozens of bicycle
storage rack designs and models.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old September 19th 10, 09:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Henk Fictorie

Nate Nagel wrote:
Hi all

got some friends that have three kids living with them, looking for a
storage solution for many bicycles in garage, I suggested buying some of
those wheel hook type things and lining them up against a wall, that
idea didn't fly, apparently he had a bike in the past with crappy single
wall rims and claims that using those hooks put a bend in a rim. (not
sure how that's possible without kids hanging from bike, but
whaddayagonnado?)

any other ideas, save for scratch building something that will hold
bikes two deep and two high (or more) against a wall by the top tube?

nate

I have something like this:

http://www.roseversand.de/output/imp...3/493179_1.jpg

works perfect. One bike stands just on the floor, while another bike
hangs above it.

Henk
Old September 19th 10, 10:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sun, 19 Sep 2010 14:38:32 -0400, Nate Nagel
wrote:

got some friends that have three kids living with them, looking for a
storage solution for many bicycles in garage, I suggested buying some of
those wheel hook type things and lining them up against a wall, that
idea didn't fly, apparently he had a bike in the past with crappy single
wall rims and claims that using those hooks put a bend in a rim. (not
sure how that's possible without kids hanging from bike, but
whaddayagonnado?)

I don't think that's possible. The spokes distribute the load and can
easily handle the weight of the bicycle plus the rider. You might be
able to bend the rim if the spokes are loose, but not with a properly
tensioned wheel.

any other ideas, save for scratch building something that will hold
bikes two deep and two high (or more) against a wall by the top tube?

You might use a typical automobile rooftop bicycle rack, with the "V"
rail for supporting the wheels, and mount it vertically on the wall.
Bungi cord or rope should be sufficient to secure the bicycle without
putting the entire load on the wheels. If you don't have a spare
rooftop rack, then a similar "V" channel, such as a small rain gutter,
should work. You could also design something suitable out of vertical
wood strips screwed to the wall. Anything that keeps the wheels in
line against the wall, and some means of supporting the bicycles, will
work.

There are lots of commerical wall mount solutions available. However,
they all have a potential problem. Make sure you secure it to the
wall studs and not to the drywall. Expanding drywall screws and
toggle bolts are fine for pictures and maybe bookshelves, but will not
do well with mostly a shear load of perhaps 50 lbs. If you have metal
studs in the wall, use the proper screws. This is what happened when
I overloaded some bookshelves, which were secured by an insufficient
number of plastic plug drywall anchors:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/drivel/slides/mess02.html

Long ago, in my parents garage, I had a similar problem. However, a
wall was not available for hanging my bicycles. The garage had a high
ceiling, so I hung two pulleys from the roof rafters and hoisted my
bicycles to the ceiling. It wasn't very elegant as I just tied all
the bicycles together with a rope, and hoisted all of them together.
The trick was to remember to properly secure everything, thus not
needing to explain to the insurance company the origin of the dent in
the roof of my mothers car.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old September 20th 10, 10:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Korenchuk

Try one of these:

http://storage.organizeit.com/search...izesit&cnt=300

Old September 22nd 10, 03:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

a trip to Walmart ?
Old September 22nd 10, 05:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Sep 19, 3:55*pm, AMuzi wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
[...]

Right. I have several bikes hung from ceiling hooks. Once when my
brother's family was visiting, I went downstairs to find one of my
nephews swinging from a hanging bike.

No damage was done to the bikes, so the subsequent damage to the
nephews was pretty mild.

- Frank Krygowski