Reflectors do not make you legal

Old October 6th 10, 03:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

Default Reflectors do not make you legal

http://www.tampabay.com%2Fnews%2Fobi...124721&h=5c893

I appreciate the nice obit for this poor guy, but the paper does no
service by not mentioning that he was breaking the law, by riding
without required front and rear powered lights.

He'd been riding this route for ten years, you'd think a cop would
have pulled him over for no lights, maybe once during the decade? Not
in America.

Lights aren't mentioned once in the article or the comments, helmets--
of course, because they're magic.

Old October 6th 10, 03:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hebert[_2_]

"landotter" wrote in message ...
http://www.tampabay.com%2Fnews%2Fobi...124721&h=5c893

I appreciate the nice obit for this poor guy, but the paper does no
service by not mentioning that he was breaking the law, by riding
without required front and rear powered lights.

He'd been riding this route for ten years, you'd think a cop would
have pulled him over for no lights, maybe once during the decade? Not
in America.

Lights aren't mentioned once in the article or the comments, helmets--
of course, because they're magic.

Are lights required by law in all states? I think that in Montreal only
reflectors are required. It think that it was the same in Boston, Albany and
New Orleans when I lived in those place but that's been a while.

Old October 6th 10, 03:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Oct 6, 9:43*am, "Duane Hebert" wrote:
"landotter" wrote in ...
http://www.tampabay.com%2Fnews%2Fobi...im-was-quiet-a...

I appreciate the nice obit for this poor guy, but the paper does no
service by not mentioning that he was breaking the law, by riding
without required front and rear powered lights.

He'd been riding this route for ten years, you'd think a cop would
have pulled him over for no lights, maybe once during the decade? Not
in America.

Lights aren't mentioned once in the article or the comments, helmets--
of course, because they're magic.

Are lights required by law in all states? *I think that in Montreal only
reflectors are required. *It think that it was the same in Boston, Albany and
New Orleans when I lived in those place but that's been a while.

Florida requires front and rear illumination visible for 500 and 600
feet, with a red rear reflector.
Old October 6th 10, 03:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hebert[_2_]

"landotter" wrote in message ...
[...]

Good. I have lights on the front and back for when I ride in the dark (days are getting
shorter) but they're not required by law.
Old October 6th 10, 04:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Oct 6, 9:57*am, "Duane Hebert" wrote:
"landotter" wrote in ...
[...]

Tennessee requires only a front lamp and a rear reflector. Dumb. Thing
is, just like Florida, you'll never get pulled over for not complying.
Old October 6th 10, 04:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
N8N

On Oct 6, 10:47*am, landotter wrote:
[...]

In Virginia:

Equipment

Every bicycle ridden between sunset and sunrise must have at least one
white headlamp with the light being visible at least 500 feet to the
front. The bicycle must have a red reflector on the rear visible at
least 600 feet to the rear. On roads posted with speed limit of 35 mph
or greater, the bicyclist must additionally be equipped with at least
one red taillight visible from 500 feet to the rear. Taillights may be
steady or blinking, are allowed under all conditions, and may be
attached to the cycle or rider.

Bicycles ridden on highways must have brakes which will skid the
wheels on dry, level, clean pavement.

Reference: §§46.2-1015,46.2-1066

I'm not sure I agree with the "steady or blinking" but the rest seems
like common sense. I also don't take my taillight off when I know I'm
only going to be riding on residential streets

nate
Old October 6th 10, 04:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Kristian M Zoerhoff

On 2010-10-06, landotter wrote:
[...]

Illinois is the same requirement, but Chicago PD have actually been
conducting stings along busier bike corridors (Milwaukee Ave, in
particular), and ticketing riders without headlights.

--

Kristian Zoerhoff

Old October 6th 10, 04:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Barry[_3_]

[...]

In New Jersey:

When in use at nighttime every bicycle shall be equipped with:
1) A front headlamp emitting a white light visible from a distance of at least
500 feet to the front;
2) A rear lamp emitting a red light visible from a distance of at least 500
feet to the rear;
3) In addition to the red lamp a red reflector may be mounted on the rear.

http://www.state.nj.us/transportatio...gulations.shtm

Old October 6th 10, 04:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane Hebert[_2_]

"landotter" wrote in message ...

Good. I have lights on the front and back for when I ride in the dark (days are getting
shorter) but they're not required by law.

Tennessee requires only a front lamp and a rear reflector. Dumb. Thing
is, just like Florida, you'll never get pulled over for not complying.

My last bike was purchased here and it had no reflectors at all. I have
some on my pedals and my seat bag but none on the wheels as required
by Quebec law. I've never been stopped.

Strangely enough, my touring bike, purchased in Albany complies
perfectly with the law here but there was no requirement for reflectors
where I bought it. Go figure.
Old October 6th 10, 04:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Peter Cole[_2_]

On 10/6/2010 10:35 AM, landotter wrote:
http://www.tampabay.com%2Fnews%2Fobi...124721&h=5c893

I appreciate the nice obit for this poor guy, but the paper does no
service by not mentioning that he was breaking the law, by riding
without required front and rear powered lights.

He'd been riding this route for ten years, you'd think a cop would
have pulled him over for no lights, maybe once during the decade? Not
in America.

Lights aren't mentioned once in the article or the comments, helmets--
of course, because they're magic.

Poor people often ride bikes because they're too poor to afford anything
else. In the US anyway, most lights are reasonably expensive (and/or the
batteries are). Such riders often use sidewalks where they exist, which
is probably not a bad thing given no lights and low speeds. Such riders
often also use bike lanes, although often the wrong way.