Bicymple simplified bicycle

Old October 26th 12, 06:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default Bicymple simplified bicycle

http://www.bicymple.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXmBrD4b4EI
http://www.digitaltrends.com/lifestyle/bicymple-strips-the-design-down-to-the-core-removes-bike-chains/
http://www.gizmag.com/bicymple-bicycle-simplified/24447/
Missing is the downtube, seat tube, bottom bracket, chain wheel,
chain, freewheel, front draileur, rear derailure, shifters, cables,
and rear brakes. With two rotating headsets, you can play hook and
ladder steering. Looks interesting but no clue how easy it is to
ride. During most of the video, the rider was coasting.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old October 26th 12, 11:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
john B.

On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 22:05:27 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

http://www.bicymple.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXmBrD4b4EI
http://www.digitaltrends.com/lifestyle/bicymple-strips-the-design-down-to-the-core-removes-bike-chains/
http://www.gizmag.com/bicymple-bicycle-simplified/24447/
Missing is the downtube, seat tube, bottom bracket, chain wheel,
chain, freewheel, front draileur, rear derailure, shifters, cables,
and rear brakes. With two rotating headsets, you can play hook and
ladder steering. Looks interesting but no clue how easy it is to
ride. During most of the video, the rider was coasting.

I spent some time trying to envisage how that thing could be ridden
with the pedals behind what looks like a conventional light weight
bicycle saddle.

Straddle the saddle and then reach back with your feet....
--
Cheers,
John B.
Old October 26th 12, 08:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

http://www.bicymple.com

A swing fixie?

A unicycle with a training wheel?

A two-wheeled snakeboard?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snakeboard

Who asked the question that prompted this answer?
Old October 26th 12, 11:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 12:41:24 -0700 (PDT), Chalo
wrote:

Jeff Liebermann wrote:

http://www.bicymple.com

A swing fixie?

I'm trying to figure out what's between the cranks and the rear wheel
hub. Probably some kind of freewheel or ratchet mechanism in the hub.

A unicycle with a training wheel?

A unicycle with a trailing wheel is a Penny Farthing. This one has a
leading wheel, which makes it a Farthing Penny.

A two-wheeled snakeboard?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snakeboard

There have been articulated bicycle frames in the past:
http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~talizmar/xntrick/wobblebike.htm
http://www.instructables.com/id/wobble-bike/
Hmmm... if I do it right, I can make the bicycle almost go sideways.
That should be useful for clearing the bike path (or sidewalk).

Who asked the question that prompted this answer?

That be me. However, I didn't ask a question. I just posted the
links for yet another bizarre and interesting bicycle-like thing.
(I do that when I'm bored).

Then, there's Cannondale's concept bicycle for 2012:
http://prioritydesigns.com/cannondale.html
http://bicycledesign.net/2012/09/cannondale-cerv-concept-bike/
Internal drive shaft and steering linkage. CERV means Continuously
Ergonomic Race Vehicle. Soon, everyone will be riding these.

Old October 27th 12, 02:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, October 26, 2012 6:59:36 PM UTC-4, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 12:41:24 -0700 (PDT), Chalo

Who asked the question that prompted this answer?

That be me. However, I didn't ask a question. I just posted the

links for yet another bizarre and interesting bicycle-like thing.

(I do that when I'm bored).

I think Chalo meant "Why is this thing even being proposed?" And he's a guy who has built some unusual machines.

I think the answer comes from the world of "design school," as opposed to engineering school. From what I've seen, guys in design school get far more points for doing "innovative" than for doing "practical." Kinda like a bike box: It doesn't have to do anything beneficial to get rave reviews from some folks.

Specifics about the design:

1) What on earth do they claim that rear steering is for?

2) They're not much worried about KOPS, are they?
http://sheldonbrown.com/kops.html

3) 35" standover height? Is this to be marketed to basketball professionals?

4) Does anyone ride around in a 29" gear all the time?

5) I'm certainly not a weight weenie, but I do wonder what it weighs.

6) Um... did I ask what the rear steering is supposed to accomplish?

- Frank Krygowski
Old October 27th 12, 03:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On 26 Oct, 20:41, Chalo wrote:
Jeff Liebermann wrote:

http://www.bicymple.com

A swing fixie?

A unicycle with a training wheel?

A two-wheeled snakeboard? *http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snakeboard

Who asked the question that prompted this answer?

Slaves answer their masters. There is another way. A man, created
in the image of God, creates. He needs no orders to constrain his
thoughts, he has free will.
Old October 27th 12, 03:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

wrote:

http://www.bicymple.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXmBrD4b4EI
http://www.digitaltrends.com/lifestyle/bicymple-strips-the-design-down-to-the-core-removes-bike-chains/
http://www.gizmag.com/bicymple-bicycle-simplified/24447/

It could be further simplified by moving the pedals to the front
wheel, which would allow them to shorten the wheelbase even more by
making the back wheel very small.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Old October 27th 12, 04:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On 27 Oct, 02:40, wrote:
On Friday, October 26, 2012 6:59:36 PM UTC-4, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Fri, 26 Oct 2012 12:41:24 -0700 (PDT), Chalo

Who asked the question that prompted this answer?

That be me. *However, I didn't ask a question. *I just posted the

links for yet another bizarre and interesting bicycle-like thing.

(I do that when I'm bored).

I think Chalo meant "Why is this thing even being proposed?" And he's a guy who has built some unusual machines.

I think the answer comes from the world of "design school," as opposed to engineering school. *From what I've seen, guys in design school get far more points for doing "innovative" than for doing "practical." *Kinda like a bike box: It doesn't have to do anything beneficial to get rave reviews from some folks.

Specifics about the design:

1) What on earth do they claim that rear steering is for?

wtf's a skateboard for?

2) They're not much worried about KOPS, are they? *http://sheldonbrown.com/kops.html

do you know what a skateboard looks like?

3) 35" standover height? *Is this to be marketed to basketball professionals?

have you never ridden a skateboard?

4) Does anyone ride around in a 29" gear all the time?

I was a 29" waist at 19, I wore those Wranglers all the time, twice as
much when skatebiarding.

5) I'm certainly not a weight weenie, but I do wonder what it weighs.

Bananas, apples, pears, cherries, goosebarries, plums, oranges,
chestnuts, carrots and other foods.

6) Um... did I ask what the rear steering is supposed to accomplish?

Same thing as a skateboard. Have you ever?
Old October 27th 12, 04:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On 27 Oct, 02:40, wrote:
[...]

sirry, I wasn't realising it was you, Frank, you just din't and wont
get it. It don't need to have practical value, it looks good. This
flexibilty makes it appear more natural, less mechanistic, it leaves
the man as the prime focus rather than a man perched on top of a
machine. I realise you probably not ever understand this pov. I feel
i must try despite the enirmous tumour that blocks your heart
communicating with your mind, a mind hampered by decades of thought
control. A mind which continues to struggle but can not break free
from those limits imposed during childhood. Sometimes, totally
practical everyday bicycles don't make sense, times when practical
everyday bicycles are innapropriate. It might actually be useful but
prejudice denies me from thinking too hard about this (for I might
think it bad) and so I maintain my feelings of the creation which
makes me happy. I'm glad it has been done and don't seek to find
fault with it, just would like to see more.
Old October 27th 12, 05:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

wrote:

http://www.bicymple.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXmBrD4b4EI
http://www.digitaltrends.com/lifestyle/bicymple-strips-the-design-down-to-the-core-removes-bike-chains/
http://www.gizmag.com/bicymple-bicycle-simplified/24447/

It could be further simplified by moving the pedals to the front
wheel, which would allow them to shorten the wheelbase even more by
making the back wheel very small.

Like this?
http://forums.mtbr.com/7598843-post12.html