too-long spokes

Old October 30th 12, 03:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Robert Cooper

Default too-long spokes

Just built a wheel, and although it’s not fully tensioned yet, it’s a good guess that the drive-side spokes are too long by one mm.

I can feel the spokes under two layers of rim tape (Velox Fond de Jante).

Two-inch tires will be mounted and run at about forty psi.

Is it worth the effort to unlace the wheel and start over?

Any advice appreciated,

Bob
Old October 30th 12, 03:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Oct 30, 8:26*am, Robert Cooper
wrote:
Just built a wheel, and although it’s not fully tensioned yet, it’s a good guess that the drive-side spokes are too long by one mm.

I can feel the spokes under two layers of rim tape (Velox Fond de Jante).

Two-inch tires will be mounted and run at about forty psi.

Is it worth the effort to unlace the wheel and start over?

Any advice appreciated,

Bob

IMO, if they're one mm too long, I would just grind them flat to the
nipple, assuming you can get a tool to them. The deal is that you
don't know how much too long they are until the wheel is fully
tensioned. If I were building the wheel and the spokes were 1mm too
long before the wheel was fully tensioned, I would be a little nervous
and would probably swap in shorter spokes, depending on what I had
sitting around, how much I wanted to spend and whether the wheel was
that important to me.

I've gotten away with too long spokes in beater wheels -- up to 2mm
probably, but what happens to me is that the wheel gets beat up over
time, spokes settle in, things happen, and you need to re-true the
wheel, and you don't have any threads to work with.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old October 30th 12, 06:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
thirty-six

On 30 Oct, 15:26, Robert Cooper wrote:
Just built a wheel, and although it’s not fully tensioned yet, it’s a good guess that the drive-side spokes are too long by one mm.

I can feel the spokes under two layers of rim tape (Velox Fond de Jante).

Two-inch tires will be mounted and run at about forty psi.

Is it worth the effort to unlace the wheel and start over?

No.
Whizz off one nipple at a time and put a washer or two under it. Use
a power screwdriver where you can. if after tensioning, the spoke
still protrudes so that it could show through the first tape, then
file or grind it flush.

Any advice appreciated,

Bob

Old October 30th 12, 06:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Oct 30, 11:26*am, Robert Cooper
wrote:
Just built a wheel, and although it’s not fully tensioned yet, it’s a good guess that the drive-side spokes are too long by one mm.

I can feel the spokes under two layers of rim tape (Velox Fond de Jante).

Two-inch tires will be mounted and run at about forty psi.

Is it worth the effort to unlace the wheel and start over?

Any advice appreciated,

Bob

I agree with the advice to carefully grind (or file) them shorter.
One millimeter isn't much, and I've done that successfully.

- Frank Krygowski
Old October 31st 12, 05:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

CHECK YOUR RIDE HISTORY....distances.....wheel rebuilds.....spokes out of whack..STRAIGHTEN WHEEL IN A WHEEL JIG ?

if you venture into these areas with some frequency consider buying new spokes at the correct lengths...ask the LBS for an eyeball

add the GROUND DOWN spokes to the shelf.

itsa tossup. if you ride distance not around the block or commute then probalillllities for a gross nagging screwup from those too long spokes is around the corner

whereupon, bummmer you will do what ?

buy correct length spokes !!

BTW how did this happen ?

drugs ?
Old October 31st 12, 06:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Oct 31, 10:11 am, datakoll wrote:
CHECK YOUR RIDE HISTORY....distances.....wheel rebuilds.....spokes out of whack..STRAIGHTEN WHEEL IN A WHEEL JIG ?

if you venture into these areas with some frequency consider buying new spokes at the correct lengths...ask the LBS for an eyeball

My favorite LBS only charged me two bits apiece to cut down and roll
spokes that I brought in.

snip

Old October 31st 12, 06:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 10/31/2012 12:11 PM, datakoll wrote:
CHECK YOUR RIDE HISTORY....distances.....wheel rebuilds.....spokes out of whack..STRAIGHTEN WHEEL IN A WHEEL JIG ?

if you venture into these areas with some frequency consider buying new spokes at the correct lengths...ask the LBS for an eyeball

add the GROUND DOWN spokes to the shelf.

itsa tossup. if you ride distance not around the block or commute then probalillllities for a gross nagging screwup from those too long spokes is around the corner

whereupon, bummmer you will do what ?

buy correct length spokes !!

BTW how did this happen ?

drugs ?

A small investment in tattoo ink can help:

http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfr...t/SPOKFORM.JPG

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old October 31st 12, 06:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Dan O wrote:
My favorite LBS only charged me two bits apiece to cut down and roll
spokes that I brought in.
snip

That's nice, but most competent LBS will calc them for you
if you are buying a set of spokes. And then stand behind the
result, saving you from calculations, anguish and grinding a
wrong length spoke once built.

Old October 31st 12, 06:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

Dan O wrote:

My favorite LBS only charged me two bits apiece to cut down and roll
spokes that I brought in.
snip

That's nice, but most competent LBS will calc them for you
if you are buying a set of spokes. And then stand behind the
result, saving you from calculations, anguish and grinding a
wrong length spoke once built.

Yes - appreciated. (In this case, I was rebuilding an ebay wheel, and
had a box of new spokes onhand that were a little long. I felt like
they were going above and beyond for me there.)

Old October 31st 12, 07:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Robert Cooper

On Wednesday, October 31, 2012 2:18:35 PM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:

That's nice, but most competent LBS will calc them for you

The LBS calculated the lengths and then inspected the first iteration of the wheel.

Said is was no problem.

I still think it IS a problem, so I’m going on to Plan B.

I will post again, if Plan B works or if it does not work.

(The calculation was a little non-standard, because I was using an Ultegra hub spaced to 135 -- with a replacement axle of correct length -- to fit my frame.)

Bob