Cyclists to get cheaper insurance

Old November 30th 15, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alycidon

Default Cyclists to get cheaper insurance

QUOTE:
"An insurance firm is shaking up the market by offering cyclists discounts on their car insurance because they are "better car insurance risks than the average driver".

Carinsurance4cyclists.com's homepage said: "We think cycling on the road has made you a better driver."

The firm explained the thinking behind offering cycle club members cheaper car insurance: "We have been able to demonstrate to motor underwriters that cyclists, who are part of a club, are better car insurance risks than the average driver due to their enhanced spatial awareness, road alertness and healthy lifestyle."

http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/cyc...surance/018747
Old November 30th 15, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tarcap

"Alycidon" wrote in message

QUOTE:
"An insurance firm is shaking up the market by offering cyclists discounts
on their car insurance because they are "better car insurance risks than the
average driver".

Carinsurance4cyclists.com's homepage said: "We think cycling on the road has
made you a better driver."

The firm explained the thinking behind offering cycle club members cheaper
car insurance: "We have been able to demonstrate to motor underwriters that
cyclists, who are part of a club, are better car insurance risks than the
average driver due to their enhanced spatial awareness, road alertness and
healthy lifestyle."

http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/cyc...surance/018747

Quote:
The scheme is only available through carinsurance4cyclists.com and only
available to cycling clubs.

And you (or someone else) calls that "shaking up the market"?

Old November 30th 15, 04:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

On 30/11/2015 15:25, Tarcap wrote:

"Alycidon" wrote in message

[...]

Fair enough, but what have you to say about their statement?

Carinsurance4cyclists.com's homepage said: "We think cycling on the road
has made you a better driver."

No doubt you'll say it is rubbish.
--
Bod

---

Old November 30th 15, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tarcap

"Alycidon" wrote in message

[...]

Well of course it is, isn't it?
Attempting to drum up more business by flattery is just about the oldest and
cheapest trick in any salesman's book.

What I do find surprising is that you appear to have fallen for it hook,
line and sinker.
Well on second thoughts, perhaps not.....

Old November 30th 15, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

"Alycidon" wrote in message

[...]

It would be interesting to know how much "cheaper" a policy would be
under this scheme than under any other.
Old November 30th 15, 05:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alycidon

"Alycidon" wrote in message

[...]

Not really - if their insurance rates are no cheaper than anywhere else, cyclists will go elsewhere. I have applied for a quote out of interest.

Old November 30th 15, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tarcap

"Alycidon" wrote in message

[...]

But that's exactly how the flattery works - the unsuspecting victims are
drawn in by believing it. Remember, cyclists are not very bright, are they?

Old November 30th 15, 06:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Cycle-Ops

"Alycidon" wrote in message

[...]

I just hope they haven't employed Crispin to work out the rates.

--
Dave
Dedicated to finding a cure for cycling.
Old November 30th 15, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bret Cahill

"An insurance firm is shaking up the market by offering cyclists discounts on their car insurance because they are "better car insurance risks than the average driver".

Carinsurance4cyclists.com's homepage said: "We think cycling on the road has made you a better driver."

There is no question cycling makes you more aware, certainly less likely to run over a cyclist.

The firm explained the thinking behind offering cycle club members cheaper car insurance: "We have been able to demonstrate to motor underwriters that cyclists, who are part of a club, are better car insurance risks than the average driver due to their enhanced spatial awareness, road alertness and healthy lifestyle."

There's no question exercise improves judgement.

http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/cyc...surance/018747

Geico has a deal where you can call in and tell them you won't be driving for 30 days. They credit 70% of that to the next 6 month premium so I only actually pay $5.25/month for each 30 day period I'm continuously parked. If something worth $12.25 comes up -- the rear axle is usually cob webbed to the curb --, I just call in. A couple of minutes later I'm running up my carbon footprint.

I haven't tried it but in theory it may be possible to drive 12 times a year and up to several thousand miles for $65 in insurance.

When it comes to cost/mile individual transportation, I'm second to none.

Bret Cahill

Old November 30th 15, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_5_]

"Alycidon" wrote in message

[...]

Yup, Einstein was the dimmest.

http://www.outburstfit.com/wp-conten...1-720x380.jpeg