How do we change driver attitudes?

Old September 19th 03, 07:37 AM
Bug Smasher

Default How do we change driver attitudes?

I think the best way to get drivers to respect cyclists is for cyclists
to respect the rules of te road. One thing that burns me as a cyclist is
seeing other cyclists running red lights. How do we expect drivers to
treat us as equals on the road when there are those (cyclists) who think
they're above the law? Now I know those who are serious and dedicated
cyclists, do their best to follow the rules, and the guilty ones tend to
be the occasional rider, but generally I think we need to set the
example and not give drivers excuses to criticize us.

That being said there are still idiot drivers who think they own the
road (I'm sure we've all experienced that yahoo in the pick-up truck
trying to force us off the road, or have had beer cans thrown at us from
a passing car, or maybe it's just me ) It's funny when, say, a car
does something stupid and shout obscenities at you, then tries to speed
away in downtown traffic (especially at rush hour) and to their
surprise, you catch up to them at the next light and politely ask for
"clarification" on what they said and an explanation on why they did
what they did, and perhaps provide a little "education" on sharing the
road. Suddenly they don't seem so high-and-mighty and invincible behind
the wheel.

So I say, don't give drivers an excuse to hate us and respect the rules
and then we can all get along!

--
it's all a creeping beige conspiracy

Old September 20th 03, 11:26 PM
PC

On 19 Sep 2003 16:27:30 +0950, Bug Smasher
wrote:

I think the best way to get drivers to respect cyclists is for cyclists
to respect the rules of te road. One thing that burns me as a cyclist is
seeing other cyclists running red lights. How do we expect drivers to
treat us as equals on the road when there are those (cyclists) who think
they're above the law?

There are plenty of car drivers that also have no respect for the
law.. Running red lights, stop signs, not stopping for trams,
blocking tram tracks, violation of speed limits, ignorance of speed
advisory signs on curves, straying across multiple lanes etc are
illegal actions that I see committed by car drivers on an almost daily
basis.. Cyclists are pretty good by comparison..

PC

Old September 21st 03, 02:42 AM
John Doe

: There are plenty of car drivers that also have no respect for the
: law.. Running red lights, stop signs, not stopping for trams,
: blocking tram tracks, violation of speed limits, ignorance of speed

I totally agree but unfortunately in this non-utopian world so many car
drivers do it that its considered the norm. I think people notice cyclists
breaking the law a lot easier than motor vehicles because they are always
looking for an excuse.

Pete

Old September 22nd 03, 05:03 AM
Bug Smasher

cfsmtb wrote:
Agree with your comment Mr Smasher, but I'm gonna go off topic with
this thread.
Actually, I'm mildly concerned with your handle. Do you or don't you
like Bicycle User Groups (BUG's)? cheers, Member of Several BUG's in
Melbourne

I didn't realize that BUG was an acronym. My apologies to all the BUGs
out there. It was a nick name my dad gave me for always riding out front
of the pack.

Cheers to all those Down Under!