Is Contador's Giro performance credible?

Old May 28th 11, 01:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Mike Jacoubowsky

Default Is Contador's Giro performance credible?

I saw this quote from Lance-

"Seeing these comments from AC [Alberto Contador]. If I were him I'd drop
this drivel and start thanking his team. w/o them, he doesn't win." Twitter
post 27 July 2009

- and have to say that it just doesn't seem true. At this year's Giro, I
think he'd win entirely on his own. With ease.

Is AC really that much better than everyone else? Is AC doping and everyone
else clean? Does it seem likely that AC would be doping with everybody
watching him so closely? Does it seem intelligent for AC to just blow
everyone away and draw so much attention to himself?

The guy doesn't even look like he's trying that hard. If he takes that level
of riding to France, what happens then? Could this be the first year of the
Giro/TdF/Vuelta triad?

Am I the only one watching the Giro?

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Old May 28th 11, 02:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
ilan[_2_]

On May 28, 2:46*am, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
wrote:
[...]

Yes, I think it's credible, the point is that his Giro opponents are
well below the level of Andy Schleck who would have put 4 minutes into
them instead of 5. Some years, there just aren't that many
exceptionally good riders, e.g., the Tours of 2006 and 2008 when there
weren't any.

Apart from his physical superiority, Contador has shown that he is one
of the toughest competitors of all time mentally: he won the 2008 Giro
without any preparation, the 2009 Tour with a team riding against him,
and the 2010 Tour below his top form, and the Giro 2011 with a
suspension hanging over him. Other people have done some of that,
e.g., Lemond 1986, Roche 1987 and Armstrong 2003, but he is the only
one to have done it consistently.

-ilan
Old May 28th 11, 02:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Scott

[...]

Yeah, Schleck was looking particularly strong in CA.
Old May 28th 11, 03:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
NoDannyNo

On May 27, 8:46*pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
wrote:
[...]

How can anything Alberto Clenbuterol does be considered credible?
Old May 28th 11, 04:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
DirtRoadie

On May 27, 6:46*pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
wrote:

The guy doesn't even look like he's trying that hard. If he takes that level
of riding to France, what happens then? Could this be the first year of the
Giro/TdF/Vuelta triad?

Am I the only one watching the Giro?

It's a little reminiscent of the Giro a few years back when Basso
looked as if he could just do what he damn well pleased. But we know
from what he said subsequently that he never got as far as actually
doping, even though he had intended to dope.

DR

Old May 28th 11, 09:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Michael Press

In article ,
"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:

I saw this quote from Lance-

"Seeing these comments from AC [Alberto Contador]. If I were him I'd drop
this drivel and start thanking his team. w/o them, he doesn't win." Twitter
post 27 July 2009

- and have to say that it just doesn't seem true. At this year's Giro, I
think he'd win entirely on his own. With ease.

Win, maybe---not with ease.
Bjarne Riis ran a brilliant race.

--
Michael Press
Old May 28th 11, 09:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Michael Press

In article ,
"Mike Jacoubowsky" wrote:

Am I the only one watching the Giro?

See my other comment.

--
Michael Press
Old May 28th 11, 10:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Simply Fred

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
- and have to say that it just doesn't seem true. At this year's Giro, I
think he'd win entirely on his own. With ease.

Is AC really that much better than everyone else? Is AC doping and
everyone else clean? Does it seem likely that AC would be doping with
everybody watching him so closely? Does it seem intelligent for AC to
just blow everyone away and draw so much attention to himself?

The guy doesn't even look like he's trying that hard. If he takes that
level of riding to France, what happens then? Could this be the first
year of the Giro/TdF/Vuelta triad?

Am I the only one watching the Giro?

Luckily for Tiralongo he didn't do a Simeoni on Contador before the giro.
Old May 28th 11, 04:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
BL[_2_]

On 5/27/2011 8:46 PM, Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
[...]

There are two Giros. Contador is in one; the less efficient dopers and
clean riders in the other.
Old May 30th 11, 01:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Anton Berlin

On May 27, 7:46*pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
wrote:
[...]

I have been bitching for weeks about this exact same problem