Fixies are illegal in Portland, Oregon

Old August 3rd 06, 10:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Paul J. Berg

Default Fixies are illegal in Portland, Oregon

http://www.oregonlive.com/printer/printer.ssf?/base/news/1154141722159250.xml&coll=7

Old August 3rd 06, 10:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Paul J. Berg wrote:
http://www.oregonlive.com/printer/printer.ssf?/base/news/1154141722159250.xml&coll=7

Not 100% correct: fixies without a front brake are illegal in
Portland. If you install a front brake (no one says you have to
***use*** it), the bike is legal.

I doubt too many cops are going to try pulling over bikes without
brakes.

Since the relevant legislation apparently does not specify that a hand
brake is required (i.e. a coaster brake would do), it would be
interesting to see what would happen if a cop pulled over a coaster
bike.

Jeff

Old August 3rd 06, 11:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
sally

In article .com,
wrote:
I doubt too many cops are going to try pulling over bikes without
brakes.

True, but if you get into an accident with an illegal bike, I suspect
that lawyers and courts will not look to favorably on you.
Old August 4th 06, 02:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
landotter

Paul J. Berg wrote:
http://www.oregonlive.com/printer/printer.ssf?/base/news/1154141722159250.xml&coll=7

No, bikes w/o brakes are illegal. A pretty good basic law if you ask
me. Even the best fixist won't be able to stop as well as somebody with
a good front brake. It's basic physics.

I know two guys that are very serious fixie riders, one races cxcross,
the other commutes 100 miles per week on a fix. Both have brakes on
front and rear. Since a sensible rider will want the levers for the
comfy hood position, what kind of measly "penalty" is an extra caliper?

Newsflash: whiney poseurs.

Old August 4th 06, 03:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Look, guys, I don't want to be a prick, but this stuff about "fixies"
is really affected! I mean, if you want hard-core, long-time cyclists
to think you're a real dilettante, keep calling fixed-gear bikes
"fixies". But if you want to sound like you know what you're tallking
about, call it a "fixed-gear" bike. Nobody called them "fixies" until
the '90's when some yuppie poseur started calling them that, about the
same time the airhead yuppies started calling BMWs "beemers" rather
than "bimmers". Just a word to the wise. I thought you would want to
know. It drives me up the wall!

Old August 4th 06, 01:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Yeah, I KNOW that you and all your friends call them "fixies", but
that's because you're gay!

Look, everybody I know, age 16-60 that's a cyclist calles them a
"fixie". My 50+ y/o LBS wheel wizard calls them that, the guys I
messengered with years ago called them that. Word to the wise: chill.
Language changes, and with the modern internets, we can just LOL or
even STFU. :-D