Careless cycling

Old October 17th 11, 08:17 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

Default Careless cycling

Lets have more of these cases.
"The unusual charge was brought against the Clare College student after he
caused a crash on Queen's Road while cycling wearing headphones"
"Details of the charge said: "Without warning and without looking the
cyclist then turned right into the path of the motorcyclist, colliding and
causing them to lose control and be unseated from his machine. The witness
suffered a broken collar bone which was broken in two places."
"
'Jim Chisholm, liaison officer for Cambridge Cycling Campaign, said
"cyclists have a responsibility to ride in a safe and considerate manner.
People who cycle should ensure they have the skills to ride on the road and
students are old enough for that to be their own responsibility."

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Home...n-17102011.htm

Old October 17th 11, 10:21 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul - xxx[_2_]

Mrcheerful wrote:

Lets have more of these cases.

Why would you want more people to be injured?

Personally, I say the cyclist was behaving like a ****.

I wear earphones occasionally, but I take care on roads to be even more
aware, visually, of what's happening around me. If a cyclist doesn't
then he IS a **** and cycling wrongly and should be, quite properly,
prosecuted when he causes an accident, especially where that accident
causes injury.

Sounds like he's just lucky it wasn't a lorry or car ..

--
Paul - xxx
"You know, all I wanna do is race .. and all I wanna do is win"
Old October 17th 11, 10:30 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

Paul - xxx wrote:
Mrcheerful wrote:

Lets have more of these cases.

Why would you want more people to be injured?

Personally, I say the cyclist was behaving like a ****.

I wear earphones occasionally, but I take care on roads to be even
more aware, visually, of what's happening around me. If a cyclist
doesn't then he IS a **** and cycling wrongly and should be, quite
properly, prosecuted when he causes an accident, especially where
that accident causes injury.

Sounds like he's just lucky it wasn't a lorry or car ..

I would like no-one at all to be injured, anywhere, but I would like to see
more cyclists prosecuted for their offences, too many just slope off and
disappear after a collision.

Old October 17th 11, 10:38 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul - xxx[_2_]

Mrcheerful wrote:

Paul - xxx wrote:
Mrcheerful wrote:

Lets have more of these cases.

Why would you want more people to be injured?

Personally, I say the cyclist was behaving like a ****.

I wear earphones occasionally, but I take care on roads to be even
more aware, visually, of what's happening around me. If a cyclist
doesn't then he IS a **** and cycling wrongly and should be, quite
properly, prosecuted when he causes an accident, especially where
that accident causes injury.

Sounds like he's just lucky it wasn't a lorry or car ..

I would like no-one at all to be injured, anywhere, but I would like
to see more cyclists prosecuted for their offences, too many just
slope off and disappear after a collision.

So why say you want 'more of these cases', then in almost the next
sentence specifically mention the injuries caused?

Old October 17th 11, 10:51 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Oct 17, 10:21*am, "Paul - xxx" wrote:

I wear earphones occasionally, but I take care on roads to be even more
aware, visually, of what's happening around me. *

Same here. I walked 12 miles today with music playing on the Walkman
and found out that I checked the roads for traffic much more than if I
was relying on my ears as well.

--
Simon Mason
Old October 17th 11, 12:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

Paul - xxx wrote:
Mrcheerful wrote:

Paul - xxx wrote:
Mrcheerful wrote:

Lets have more of these cases.

Why would you want more people to be injured?

Personally, I say the cyclist was behaving like a ****.

I wear earphones occasionally, but I take care on roads to be even
more aware, visually, of what's happening around me. If a cyclist
doesn't then he IS a **** and cycling wrongly and should be, quite
properly, prosecuted when he causes an accident, especially where
that accident causes injury.

Sounds like he's just lucky it wasn't a lorry or car ..

I would like no-one at all to be injured, anywhere, but I would like
to see more cyclists prosecuted for their offences, too many just
slope off and disappear after a collision.

So why say you want 'more of these cases', then in almost the next
sentence specifically mention the injuries caused?

More of these 'court cases', so that cycling quality will improve. Cyclists
will not voluntarily improve their use of the roads, so it is up to the
legal system to force them to.

Old October 17th 11, 01:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith[_4_]

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 02:51:27 -0700 (PDT), Simon Mason
wrote:

On Oct 17, 10:21*am, "Paul - xxx" wrote:

I wear earphones occasionally, but I take care on roads to be even more
aware, visually, of what's happening around me. *

Same here. I walked 12 miles today with music playing on the Walkman
and found out that I checked the roads for traffic much more than if I
was relying on my ears as well.

It's amazing how people cannot just go out for a walk and enjoy their
surroundings - but have to listen to music as well.

I bet you closed your eyes and imagined you were back in Sarajevo looking
forward to your curry for tea,

Simple really.

--
Simple Simon Mason - who cycles at 25mph in 20mph limits just because the limits do not apply to cyclists.
This includes exceeding the speed limit past three schools. A total disregard for the well-being of vulnerable road users.

Old October 17th 11, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder

"Mrcheerful" wrote in message
Lets have more of these cases.
"The unusual charge was brought against the Clare College student after he
caused a crash on Queen's Road while cycling wearing headphones"
"Details of the charge said: "Without warning and without looking the
cyclist then turned right into the path of the motorcyclist, colliding and
causing them to lose control and be unseated from his machine. The witness
suffered a broken collar bone which was broken in two places."
"
'Jim Chisholm, liaison officer for Cambridge Cycling Campaign, said
"cyclists have a responsibility to ride in a safe and considerate manner.
People who cycle should ensure they have the skills to ride on the road
and students are old enough for that to be their own responsibility."

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Home...n-17102011.htm

My postman does this sort of stuff.
He rode off the *footpath* and into the road on Saturday without looking. He
had his usual headphones on.

Old October 17th 11, 05:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Oct 17, 5:31*pm, "Mr Pounder"
wrote:

My postman does this sort of stuff.
He rode off the *footpath* and into the road on Saturday without looking. He
had his usual headphones on.

Glad to hear that Royal Mail is still letting its posties use bikes, I
had heard they were being phased out.

--
Simon Mason
Old October 17th 11, 06:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
On Oct 17, 5:31 pm, "Mr Pounder"
wrote:

My postman does this sort of stuff.
He rode off the *footpath* and into the road on Saturday without looking.
He
had his usual headphones on.

Glad to hear that Royal Mail is still letting its posties use bikes, I
had heard they were being phased out.

--
Simon Mason

It's a pity that he does not seem to be able to ride it correctly.
A few months ago he shoved a letter through my letter box that was addressed
to somebody else in a street I did not know. He was walking up the street
deaf as a post to my shouts.
Nice guy though.