I need advice for airplane travel with uni

Old November 13th 07, 04:03 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
aquaman

Default I need advice for airplane travel with uni

I will be heading off to college in January and I'm curious about the
various ways you guys have traveled by plane with your uni. Have you
guys mostly checked it in a box with it disassembled (or assembled) or
have you guys brought it on board as a carry on?

--
aquaman
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 13th 07, 04:07 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
adambrody85

I have had a few problems with this myself. I took mine apart andput it
in the bag and of course was asked what it was. I said it was a
unicycle and they said really. The opened the bag and inspected it and
eventually said it was ok but it definitaly slowed down the process. I
guess they don't see unicycles too often! Just be honest with them and
tell them its a unicycle.

--
adambrody85
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 13th 07, 04:12 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
saskatchewanian

I have looked at trying to break my trials uni down small enough that it
could be carried on but in the end it was not possible. I ended up
taking the seat and seat post off, removing the frame and pedals
deflating the tire and putting a belt around it with the tire sort of
folded sideways on both sides. The unicycle ended up taking up almost
half of my hiking bag that I was checking. I sort of wonder what they
thought when they put it through the X-ray machine.

--
saskatchewanian

The Coker isn't elegant, it's majestic
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 13th 07, 04:16 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ntappin

I have flown with my muni, my trials and my bc before. I just tell them
its circus equipment. Yes its a bit of a kick in the nuts but hey, I've
gotten enough of that already, so why not.

I have never had the pack that contained the unicycle stuff searched
before when I used that excuse. In this day and age though its probably
about a 50/50 chance of it being searched. The only thing to worry
about is getting hit with the Bicycle fees which are pretty expensive,
something like 50 bucks and signing a waiver that basically sais, if
something happens to it they aren't responsible.

So avoid using the word cycle, just call it circus equipment, or
excersize equipment or something.

Actualy call it sports equipment and put it all in a hockey bag. A
hockey bag is perfect for anything up to a 29er and if you call it
sports equip and its in a hockey bag, they probably won't even think
twice, and will avoid opening it due to smells.

--
ntappin

'how to build a strong comfy saddle from junk.'
(http://tinyurl.com/hxcb3)
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 13th 07, 04:19 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
UniDudeDX

yea. my opinion is to have your parents or somone you know send it to
you by mail. it would suck to get al the way the airport and have some
dumb a** security guard say you cant take it. you would miss you flight
and depending on how tight your scedule is delayed from getting to
college on time. thats my two cents...

--
UniDudeDX

Jerrick wrote:
I think we should get off the topic off kinky/horny girls and unicycles,
and back to creepy horny men.

thejdw wrote:
Cocain has very good commpression propities, great for side hops and
large drops.

http://www.usenet.com
Old November 13th 07, 04:28 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
SqueakyOnion

From what I hear:

If you get to the gate and they won't let you on, you can GATE CHECK
it. Depending, they'll either put it under the plane or in a
compartment up in the front of the plan near the cockpit. Either way,
you get it back as you get off the plane, rather than at the normal
baggage claim.

--
SqueakyOnion

I put the *emo* in h*emo*globin.

Unicycling is little more than an elaborate game of losing your balance
and catching it.
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 13th 07, 05:13 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
aquaman

If I were to have it mailed, what sort of packaging would I need to
insure that the wheel or spokes don't get bent or broken. I just
thought of something very interesting. I could take all but the wheel
and tire on the plane in baggage and then have my parents send the
wheel/tire.

--
aquaman
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 13th 07, 05:25 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
saskatchewanian

Once a box is a certain size there is a weight limit that box can be
until the price goes up, the rest of your uni won't make much or any
difference to the price of mailing once you have a box big enough to
fit your wheel.

Either bring the whole thing with you or have the whole thing in the
mail.

What could be more depressing than having a frame, seat, and pedals but
no wheel?

Old November 13th 07, 05:31 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ntappin

I really really don't think you will have any issues with getting it on
the plane. There are no rules against it getting on there, the only
worry is getting hit with the 50 dollar fee.

Also when you pack it up just pack it up using common sense, don't put
something that could bend your spokes sitting right ontop of your
spokes. If you think about it, think about all the fragile things
people pack in the luggage, things like wine bottles and cameras. That
stuff is usualy pretty safe. If you are packing something like a trials
uni or something, it is made to be beat up, so I think you are pretty
damn safe.

Old November 13th 07, 06:12 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
gabetheunicycleman

i got a hard suitcase, pulled everything apart, made a foam case for my
frame using some foam and ductape. (get 2 pieces of foam the right
length for each part of your frame and seatpost, then cut out a rough
semicircle down the length of each, plonk the two halves together with
the part of the frame in between them then using masking tape or
ductape strap them together. hope that made sense.) then you can wrap
your hub in bubblewrap and pack clothes around it to stop it moving.
costs around 5-10 bucks and its taken me to hawaii and back (10 hour
flight) and canberra and back(3 hour flight). basically its so
bulletproof that they can do whatever they want with it and it wont
break. in fact the only thing that did break was the suitcase.

--
gabetheunicycleman

Quotes from ACA
"two out of three of our children are directly involved with selling
drugs..."
"50% of all reproductive problems are because of the man..." and
from my mum "is titanium strong?"
http://www.usenet.com