How to mount extremely difficult tires?

Old November 14th 03, 06:06 PM
David

Default How to mount extremely difficult tires?

Last night I was trying to mound Kenda Kwick 1.7" x 26" folding tires onto old Bontrager/Weinmann
rims. Other tires mount easily on these rims, and the other Kenda tires I've used seem to go and
off easily. I was using tire liners (the correct size for these tires), but in the past those haven't
made it impossible for me to get the bead over the rim. I also had the correct tube size.
Additionally I'm using the thinnest rim tape I've seen, and it is in the center, leaving the bead
area bare.

First I couldn't even come close to getting these on by hand: I had to without pry them over
the rim. When I ran out of what I could mount with my hands there was more bead
unmounted then I've ever seen on any tire before. When I tried to pry them over the rim
with a skinny plastic tire lever, it snapped. When I used a thicker tire lever, the rim deformed
slightly, although the tire did go on.

What gives? I've installed tires for ages, and never encountered a problem like this.
How do you mount extremely difficult tires without destroying the rim?

David

Old November 14th 03, 06:50 PM
Mike S.

"David" wrote in message
[...]

Once upon a time, there was a thing called a tire jacker. I don't know if
they still make them or not. What it was, was a forked piece that sat on
the edge of the rim and a hooked piece that pulled the bead up and over.
Worked like a charm, so I bought one. In the almost 10 years I've owned it,
I've maybe used it twice...

Lots of times, all it takes is a strong grip. Use the joint between your
fingers and palms and roll. My thumbs aren't usually strong enough to get
that last little bit.

If you haven't screwed the tire up, maybe you should think about exchanging
it. What happens if/when you get a flat out on the road??

Mike

Old November 14th 03, 07:11 PM
David

"Mike S." mikeshaw2@coxDOTnet wrote in message news:2u9tb.1484$6G3.505@fed1read06...
Lots of times, all it takes is a strong grip. Use the joint between your

fingers and palms and roll. My thumbs aren't usually strong enough to get
that last little bit.

That's the thing: Usually there's a last little bit, but this time there was a last lot of bead
that I couldn't mount by hand..

If you haven't screwed the tire up, maybe you should think about exchanging
it. What happens if/when you get a flat out on the road??

I'm aware of that, but it's only partially a concern. I'd given this bike to my wife to
replace her stolen bike, and I've been setting it up the way she likes it (grocery-getter/
commuter style). She has never changed a flat in her life, and wouldn't do it even
if the tires were easy to mount. On her old bike I used slime tubes. Since I haven't
seen pre-slimed ones in presta, I've tried tire-liners with this bike.

David

Old November 14th 03, 08:04 PM
Matt O'Toole

"David" wrote in message

[...]

Sometimes you get a tight fit, when there's a tire on the tight side of average,
and a rim on the big side of average.

How do you mount extremely difficult tires without destroying the rim?

Squeeze the beads together, and jam them down in the rim bed as far as possible,
to get as much clearance for the tire to slip over the rim on the other side.
Sometimes thinner rim tape makes this possible, where Velox is too bulky.

If you haven't screwed the tire up, maybe you should think about exchanging
it. What happens if/when you get a flat out on the road??

I agree. I used to have a set of Continental Avenues, which were wonderfully
fast, but way too difficult to get on and off. I couldn't do it without drawing
blood, even with sturdy tire levers. So I got rid of them.

Being stranded by a flat is worth considering. With so many different tires
available, there's no reason to put up with this.

Perhaps someone could recommend a similar tire, which they have no trouble with
on their own Bontrager/Weinman rims.

Matt O.

Old November 14th 03, 08:43 PM
daveornee

$ 6G3.505@fed1read06...
[...]

Keep most of the bead from both sides of the tire centered on the rim.
Use tire talc to make things slide more easily. Some tires are very
tough to mount. When I get one of the tougher ones I put the entire
wheel in my "lap" with the mounted portion at my waist and the
"to-be'-mounted" section at arms reach. I use the heals of my hands the
finish the process, while hooking my fingers over the tire. I hope you
can picture the process. Remember to check that the bead hasn't trapped
the tube between the rim and tire. Also clean any remaining talc of the
rim with a damp rag before you try applying rim brakes. Clean the floor
too, as it get slippery.

--
David Ornee, Western Springs, IL USA

Old November 14th 03, 09:33 PM
Per Elmsäter

David wrote:
[...]

Apart from the advice yo've already gotten. Don't forget to start as far
away from the valve as possible. Closing in from both sides towards the
valve. The reason is obvious of course since the valve is the only place you
cannot get the beads down in the center of the rim as is the last place you
are closing.

--
Perre

Old November 14th 03, 10:13 PM
Mark Hickey

"David" wrote:

How do you mount extremely difficult tires without destroying the rim?

Curse.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame
Old November 14th 03, 10:16 PM
bfd

"David" wrote in message
[...]

What you can get thats very similar to what you describe is a VAR tire
lever. This lever pulls the tire over the rim and doesn't damage the
tire, tube or rim as its made of plastic (note - don't use in really
cold weather as supposedly it could crack). I've NEVER had a problems
mounting any clincher tire on a rim with this tool. For more info see
he

http://www.terrybicycles.com/BPA/7400000.lasso

or he

http://www.rivendellbicycles.com/web...ols/19045.html
Old November 14th 03, 11:20 PM
Alex Rodriguez

In article 2u9tb.1484$6G3.505@fed1read06, mikeshaw2@coxDOTnet says...

Once upon a time, there was a thing called a tire jacker. I don't know if
they still make them or not. What it was, was a forked piece that sat on
the edge of the rim and a hooked piece that pulled the bead up and over.
Worked like a charm, so I bought one. In the almost 10 years I've owned it,
I've maybe used it twice...

VAR makes/made tire levers that do exactly what you describe. That's what
I carry in my under seat pack.

---------------
Alex

Old November 15th 03, 12:02 AM
David

"bfd" wrote in message m...
What you can get thats very similar to what you describe is a VAR tire
lever. This lever pulls the tire over the rim and doesn't damage the
tire, tube or rim as its made of plastic (note - don't use in really
cold weather as supposedly it could crack). I've NEVER had a problems
mounting any clincher tire on a rim with this tool. For more info see
he

Thanks, I'll order those.

I've seen a few "easy tire installation" gadgets in the past, at bike shows,
but never in the "real world". I recall one or two that had a long lever that
pivoted around the axle -- not ideal for your jersey pocket, but probably
good in the garage.

Oh, and thanks everyone else for the suggestions too.

David

Road Tires - Reviews ?? Churchill General 14 July 10th 04 04:49 PM
Road Tires - Reviews ?? Churchill Racing 14 July 10th 04 04:49 PM
New wheels, new tires (difference between 700x25, 26, & 28?) Roger Zoul General 19 June 16th 04 09:00 PM
Studded tires R Christensen General 2 January 27th 04 04:40 PM
Couple questions about bike tires Dan Musicant Techniques 19 July 24th 03 09:56 PM