Car daytime running lights

Old March 23rd 08, 10:41 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Adrian Godwin

Default Car daytime running lights

David Hansen wrote:
A while ago I mentioned that the EU were trying to make things even
more dangerous for cyclists by introducing these things. I contacted
my MEP, who has discovered that this idea is being pushed by parts
of the UN, no doubt the same sort of people who are pushing bike
helmets.

You might find this group of interest :

http://www.dadrl.org.uk/

Also see :

http://www.number-10.gov.uk/output/Page11400.asp

-adrian
Old March 24th 08, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Martin Dann

Nigel Cliffe wrote:
Martin Dann wrote:
David Hansen wrote:
A while ago I mentioned that the EU were trying to make things even
more dangerous for cyclists by introducing these things. I contacted
my MEP, who has discovered that this idea is being pushed by parts
of the UN, no doubt the same sort of people who are pushing bike
helmets.

This (DLRs) has been discussed in Parliament a few times, and
according to the minister for something or other, this has already
been passed into car manufacturing regulations, such that all new
cars from 2012 will have to be built with DLRs.

That was what I thought as well, though couldn't point to a definitive
reference on the topic.

C&U changes are not usually retrospective on existing vehicles.

July 2007, the government claimed that they had never discussed
mandatory EU wide fitting of DRLs

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/wrans/...%22#g151703.q0

Then February this year they claimed that the EU has mandated them,

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/wrans/...%22#g188253.q0

Then more recently they claim it is a UN regulation,

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/wrans/...nning%22#g39.0

(Since when has the UN been able to make national laws)

Old March 24th 08, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Martin Dann

Adrian Godwin wrote:
David Hansen wrote:
A while ago I mentioned that the EU were trying to make things even
more dangerous for cyclists by introducing these things. I contacted
my MEP, who has discovered that this idea is being pushed by parts
of the UN, no doubt the same sort of people who are pushing bike
helmets.

You might find this group of interest :

http://www.dadrl.org.uk/

http://www.dadrl.org.uk/whatsnew.html

The end of a RoSPA quote:

“Although the counter argument would be that DRL may make it easier for
cyclists to spot cars, enabling them to plan an ‘escape route’ to
prevent an accident if the car were to pull out, it does not address the
issue of drivers making poor or incomplete observations and failing to
spot a cyclist."

So one of the arguments in favour of DRLs, is to place more
responsibility on the more vulnerable roads users.
As well as increasing the amount of SMIDSYs there is also the posibility
of increased "Didn't you see me" from cars that cut you up. And I have
had drivers ask "Didn't you see me" after trying to run me off the road.

Martin.
Old March 24th 08, 07:41 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_4_]

Martin Dann wrote:
Nigel Cliffe wrote:
Martin Dann wrote:
David Hansen wrote:
[...]

I assume that last bit was a question, and the answer, of course, is
"never".

But AIUI, the international co-operation which allows motor vehicles to
be driven in countries other than the one of their registration (this
including all the conventions on "green cards", "international driving
licences", the ID stickers system, etc) is overseen by the UN.
Old March 24th 08, 09:11 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
naked_draughtsman

On Mar 24, 4:58 pm, Martin Dann wrote:
Then more recently they claim it is a UN regulation,

http://www.theyworkforyou.com/wrans/...6&s=%22dayligh...

(Since when has the UN been able to make national laws)

The OP mentions that his MEP discovered that people from the UN are
'pushing' for this to be implemented.

I couldn't find anything about it on the UN website so I fired off an
email to their general email address asking how can I go about finding
out about this particular topic and what it the protocol for sending
in comments on such issues. I received this very helpful reply this
evening:

Greetings from the Public Inquiries Team.

We regret to inform you that we do not have information on your topic.

Thank you for taking the initiative to write to us.

Best regards,

Public Inquiries Unit
Public Relations Section
Department of Public Information
United Nations

Old March 25th 08, 11:55 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke

Jeff wrote:

2. Distracting attention from other road users: motorcycles and
bicycles can have DRLs too.

And by what do you propose these should be powered?

3. Cyprus v Sweden: This may have some merit (I suspect that Cyprus is
probably brighter during the day, on average, than is Sweden. However,
while Cypriots might not benefit as much as would Swedes, having a
common set of rules EU-wide simplifies life for everyone (no more "Oh
dear, what are the local rules?").

So people killed in Cyprus (or Britain) should be gladdened in their dying
moments that they have died to save a Swede?

The trouble with Simon is that he only opens his mouth to change feet.
;; of me, by a 'friend'