An Apology

Old June 8th 04, 03:22 PM
Andrew Morris

Default An Apology

I'd like to retract my flippant opinion, that I believed the Nudie Ride was
"just wrong"...

Unfortunately, I was attempting to be humorous, obviously something I am not
very good at, as my comment appears to have generated several hundred posts
as a result of an individual who believes my Newsgroup Etiquette is
substandard.

Apparently top posting breaches an unwritten law of the Newsgroup, which is
incidentally unmoderated.

Spam, too, is clearly a breach of Newsgroup Etiquette, and the individual in
question, appears to delight in occupying people's precious bandwidth with
repetitive, meaningless waffle.

Having been abused, wished to be dead, and generally berated, I will become
a silent viewer of this newsgroup, and decline to offer any contribution in
the future. Should further abuse be directed towards myself, I will direct
it to the ISP of the individual in question, or take matters further.

THanks to those who thought it was a bit of sport, which it wasn't, and
thanks to those who stood up for a weak belief that the Usenet is an
unmoderated medium, not to be ruled through bombastic opinion.

Cheers,

Andrew

Old June 8th 04, 03:35 PM
DRS

"Andrew Morris" wrote in message

I'd like to retract my flippant opinion, that I believed the Nudie
Ride was "just wrong"...

Unfortunately, I was attempting to be humorous, obviously something I
am not very good at, as my comment appears to have generated several
hundred posts as a result of an individual who believes my Newsgroup
Etiquette is substandard.

Apparently top posting breaches an unwritten law of the Newsgroup,
which is incidentally unmoderated.

It breaches Usenet etiquette, full stop. It's not specific to this group.
And that this group is unmoderated is not any sort of excuse for selfishness
and stupidity, which is exactly what top posting is and why Usenet etiquette
guides advocate bottom or inline posting.

http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/brox.html

http://www.caliburn.nl/topposting.html

http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/gey_stv0.htm

http://www.fscked.co.uk/writing/top-posting-cuss.html

Spam, too, is clearly a breach of Newsgroup Etiquette, and the
individual in question, appears to delight in occupying people's
precious bandwidth with repetitive, meaningless waffle.

Er, no. As usual you don't have a clue so just leave it alone.

Having been abused, wished to be dead, and generally berated, I will
become a silent viewer of this newsgroup, and decline to offer any
contribution in the future. Should further abuse be directed towards
myself, I will direct it to the ISP of the individual in question, or
take matters further.

Now *that's* whining. ISPs don't give a flying **** if someone's been rude
to you in a news group. Given that you are the one breaching well known and
understand netiquette in this instance the good ones won't give you so much
as the time of day. And that doesn't even begin to cover the implied
off-line threat you made towards me because you didn't like my rhetoric.
The only person who's done anything the least bit actionable is you,
sunshine.

THanks to those who thought it was a bit of sport, which it wasn't,
and thanks to those who stood up for a weak belief that the Usenet is
an unmoderated medium, not to be ruled through bombastic opinion.

It's the top-posters who are trying to "rule through bombastic opinion".
They have to because they don't have a rational leg to stand on.

--

A: Top-posters.

Old June 8th 04, 03:49 PM
Andrew Morris

[snip]

Now *that's* whining. ISPs don't give a flying **** if someone's been

rude
to you in a news group. Given that you are the one breaching well known

and
understand netiquette in this instance the good ones won't give you so

much
as the time of day. And that doesn't even begin to cover the implied
off-line threat you made towards me because you didn't like my rhetoric.
The only person who's done anything the least bit actionable is you,
sunshine.

Off-line threat? I wouldnt waste the effort, on someone who has nothing
better to do with themselves.

THanks to those who thought it was a bit of sport, which it wasn't,
and thanks to those who stood up for a weak belief that the Usenet is
an unmoderated medium, not to be ruled through bombastic opinion.

It's the top-posters who are trying to "rule through bombastic opinion".
They have to because they don't have a rational leg to stand on.

Unlike those who don't have a rational bone in their body.

I've had enough of this. No more aus.bicycle for me until it's moderated.

Old June 8th 04, 03:54 PM
DRS

"Andrew Morris" wrote in message

[snip]

Now *that's* whining. ISPs don't give a flying **** if someone's
been rude to you in a news group. Given that you are the one
breaching well known and understand netiquette in this instance the
good ones won't give you so much as the time of day. And that
doesn't even begin to cover the implied off-line threat you made
towards me because you didn't like my rhetoric. The only person
who's done anything the least bit actionable is you, sunshine.

Off-line threat? I wouldnt waste the effort, on someone who has
nothing better to do with themselves.

Yes, implied threat: "Now you'd really better hope and pray we never
meet..." (Message id ).

THanks to those who thought it was a bit of sport, which it wasn't,
and thanks to those who stood up for a weak belief that the Usenet
is an unmoderated medium, not to be ruled through bombastic opinion.

It's the top-posters who are trying to "rule through bombastic
opinion". They have to because they don't have a rational leg to
stand on.

Unlike those who don't have a rational bone in their body.

I've had enough of this. No more aus.bicycle for me until it's
moderated.

In your dreams. All you've ever had to do to get on is inline or bottom
post but no, you had to cause trouble and now you've got the bloody gall to
try to blame me. Get over yourself.

--

A: Top-posters.

Old June 8th 04, 11:28 PM
Anus

[...]

Who cares? *yawns* It's the 'net!

Old June 9th 04, 12:30 AM
Theo Bekkers

"Andrew Morris" wrote
I'd like to retract my flippant opinion, that I believed the Nudie Ride

was
"just wrong"...

Unfortunately, I was attempting to be humorous, obviously something I am

not
very good at, as my comment appears to have generated several hundred

posts
as a result of an individual who believes my Newsgroup Etiquette is
substandard.

Apparently top posting breaches an unwritten law of the Newsgroup, which

is
incidentally unmoderated.

THanks to those who thought it was a bit of sport, which it wasn't, and
thanks to those who stood up for a weak belief that the Usenet is an
unmoderated medium, not to be ruled through bombastic opinion.

Keep posting Andrew and ignore or block DRS. Usenet is an unmoderated forum
and anyone is entitled to post what and how they like. Some things you do
will annoy some people. (I prefer bottom posting but it doesn't upset me if
others top-post). What annoys me is people who don't snip anything, but hey,
that's my problem.

Some people (like DRS) are anal about it. But then, he's probably anal about
a lot of things. Not worth wasting 100 posts on.

Cheers

Theo

Old June 9th 04, 12:33 AM
Theo Bekkers

"DRS" wrote
It breaches Usenet etiquette, full stop. It's not specific to this group.
And that this group is unmoderated is not any sort of excuse for

selfishness
and stupidity, which is exactly what top posting is and why Usenet

etiquette
guides advocate bottom or inline posting.

Don't be so bloody anal DRS. Top-posting will not be the end of the world,
or even the end of usenet. Leading by example is better than preaching.

Theo

Old June 9th 04, 12:59 AM
Marty Wallace

"Theo Bekkers" wrote in message
"DRS" wrote
It breaches Usenet etiquette, full stop. It's not specific to this

group.
And that this group is unmoderated is not any sort of excuse for

selfishness
and stupidity, which is exactly what top posting is and why Usenet

etiquette
guides advocate bottom or inline posting.

Don't be so bloody anal DRS. Top-posting will not be the end of the world,
or even the end of usenet. Leading by example is better than preaching.

Theo

Just drop the whole thing and allow everyone to calm down.
Don't argue, don't reply. Move on.
Let's talk about the thing we all love and have in common... BIKES..Yaaayyy!

Marty

Old June 9th 04, 01:00 AM
cfsmtb

Keep posting Andrew. Your contributions are worthwhile

-

Old June 9th 04, 01:36 AM
HUMBUG

Ahhh **** another thread for the kill file...:-(

An Apology Just zis Guy, you know? UK 4 May 20th 04 02:32 AM
Apology if Mad Bill Pal m er has been annoying members of alt.motorcycles.harley? Twinkles Mountain Biking 9 October 30th 03 02:56 PM