What have you always wanted to achieve on a bike?

Old July 9th 04, 04:30 AM
warrwych

Default What have you always wanted to achieve on a bike?

hippy wrote:
Introspection Question #1:
What have you always wanted to achieve on a bike?

faster, stronger, longer ..

perfect balance

a wheelie (on both road and mt bikes)

a love of headwinds and rain ;-)

Old July 9th 04, 09:26 AM
Terry Collins

hippy wrote:

Ride in another country (can't believe I've not done this..)

Take the ferry south. Cheap fares atm. You could probably do it as a
weekender. (well the rest of the world thinks it is a different country
{:-).

Or a cheap flight east.

Ride in the SNOW!! :-D

Volunteer for the antartic division {;-)
Old July 11th 04, 12:21 AM
kingsley

On Fri, 09 Jul 2004 09:24:51 +1000, ? the Platypus {aka David Formosa}
wrote:

- SYD to newscatle

I've always wanted to get a map going of this ride with all sorts of
back roads etc, so you can avoid the F3 & pacific hwy.

From here (Lake Macquarie) to Newcastle is a bit difficult, but
to the south is alot more promising.

For example, I could get from Morisset to Wyong with insignificant traffic
along Yaramalong valley road (or whatever the road name is), from there
cut under the pacific hwy at Wyong Creek into farmlands down to Ourimbah.
Up Dog Trap road (not on your roadie) to Somersby... anyway that's about
a fifth of the trip handled. I think if I were more familiar with these
other areas it might just be possible. Would make a good touring route. I
don't trust the gov'mnt to come up with a decent one for the proposed
pacific bike route - these are the same people that mark the F3
breakdown lane as a bicycle path.

(For outa-towners the F3 is the major 6-laner from Sydney north, it's
probably a nice surface to ride on, but that's about it in my book.
Although you do see a few roadies on it on the weekend)

-kt

--
Kingsley Turner,
(mailto: )

Old July 11th 04, 12:27 AM
DRS

"kingsley" wrote in message
newsan.2004.07.10.23.21.51.88627@maddogsbreakfas t.com.au

[...]

(For outa-towners the F3 is the major 6-laner from Sydney north, it's
probably a nice surface to ride on, but that's about it in my book.
Although you do see a few roadies on it on the weekend)

From memory there are some monster hills when you head north out of Sydney.
Or is it a different road that goes up through Kuring-Gai to to Gosford?

--

A: Top-posters.

Old July 11th 04, 12:51 AM
Marty Wallace

wrote:

- SYD to newscatle

I've always wanted to get a map going of this ride with all sorts of
back roads etc, so you can avoid the F3 & pacific hwy.

From here (Lake Macquarie) to Newcastle is a bit difficult, but
[...]

Get yourself a good GPS and some software and publish your maps on the net.
It's not hard and it's actually fun.
GarTrip is good software. I use a Garmin GPS 72 (It's waterproof and it
floats.) You cna download your routes and superimpose them onto scanned
maps.

Marty

Old July 11th 04, 06:30 AM
hippy

I thought of another one today...

a reverse 360 on the fixie..

Practising for 30min today I could roll back 90deg and managed a few near-
180's but 360 will take some time...

hippy

Old July 11th 04, 09:51 AM
Terry Collins

wrote:

- SYD to newscatle

I've always wanted to get a map going of this ride with all sorts of
back roads etc, so you can avoid the F3 & pacific hwy.

From here (Lake Macquarie) to Newcastle is a bit difficult, but
to the south is alot more promising.

Unfortunately, only the main road north, unless you cut west and ride
the Sugarloaf range up to the west of cardiff.

For example, I could get from Morisset to Wyong with insignificant traffic
along Yaramalong valley road (or whatever the road name is), from there
cut under the pacific hwy at Wyong Creek into farmlands down to Ourimbah.

The bush route is west into the Watagans and follow that main road south
to Buckety, Kulnura, Mangrove Mtn, then south to Mooney Mooney on old
highway, then (train at Brooklyn) or climb to Cowan, Hornsby, etc. or
west at MM to Spencer, Wisemans Ferry (death alley to Dural,) or
riverside to Windsor (The Buckety to Windsor is part of the Bicycle
Australia Pacific Bicycle Trail)

I will think of that road name soon.
From Wyong, west along Yarramlong Valley Road, then up Bumble Hill to
Kulnura, then as above.

Up Dog Trap road (not on your roadie) to Somersby... anyway that's about
a fifth of the trip handled. I think if I were more familiar with these
other areas it might just be possible. Would make a good touring route. I
don't trust the gov'mnt to come up with a decent one for the proposed
pacific bike route - these are the same people that mark the F3
breakdown lane as a bicycle path.

Isn't this the Elias Ducohen coastal route that goes east of lake
macquarie?

(For outa-towners the F3 is the major 6-laner from Sydney north, it's
probably a nice surface to ride on, but that's about it in my book.
Although you do see a few roadies on it on the weekend)

I think I've mentioned my current preference of the F3 (very wide
shoulders) to the West of the lake road (no shoulders and a 6" drop off
in places)

bummer, still can not think of that road that runs South in Wyong west
of the F3. will have to look at map.

-kt

--
Kingsley Turner,
(mailto: )
http://MadDogsBreakfast.com/ABFAQ - news:aus.bicycle Frequenly Asked Questions

--
Terry Collins {:-)}}} email: terryc at woa.com.au www:
http://www.woa.com.au

Old July 11th 04, 10:00 AM
Terry Collins

DRS wrote:

"kingsley" wrote in message
newsan.2004.07.10.23.21.51.88627@maddogsbreakfas t.com.au

[...]

(For outa-towners the F3 is the major 6-laner from Sydney north, it's
probably a nice surface to ride on, but that's about it in my book.
Although you do see a few roadies on it on the weekend)

From memory there are some monster hills when you head north out of Sydney.
Or is it a different road that goes up through Kuring-Gai to to Gosford?

There is really only one hill with a few bumps.
It is downhill from Cowan to Mooney Mooney on the Hawkwsbury River,,
then uphill to Peats Ridge.

If you are going north, you can then follow a ridgeline to Bucketty and
then take forset roads through Watagans (undulating) or the more relaxed
route through Laguna and Wollombi to Cessnock then Maitland and north
coast or Broke to Singleton and New England

If you go east from Peats Ridge, you then drop to Mooney Mooney Creek
and climb back up to Somersby, where you can go north again or east to
Kariong, then down to Gosford. I like the gravel route slightly east of
the main route. You get spat out at the West Gosford lights.
Old July 11th 04, 10:01 AM
Terry Collins

Marty Wallace wrote:

Get yourself a good GPS and some software and publish your maps on the net.
It's not hard and it's actually fun.
GarTrip is good software. I use a Garmin GPS 72 (It's waterproof and it
floats.) You cna download your routes and superimpose them onto scanned
maps.

How many way points does it hold?
This has been the real limitation to date.