What have you always wanted to achieve on a bike?

Old July 11th 04, 10:22 AM
Marty Wallace

Default What have you always wanted to achieve on a bike?

"Terry Collins" wrote in message
Marty Wallace wrote:

Get yourself a good GPS and some software and publish your maps on the

net.
It's not hard and it's actually fun.
GarTrip is good software. I use a Garmin GPS 72 (It's waterproof and it
floats.) You cna download your routes and superimpose them onto scanned
maps.

How many way points does it hold?
This has been the real limitation to date.

Mine has 500 points, but there are a lot of other models that might suit you
better.
I chose the GPS72 because it floats and is water-proof, which is handy for
canoeing.

http://www.garmin.com/products/gps72/index.jsp

Marty

Old July 13th 04, 11:21 PM
? the Platypus {aka David Formosa}

"Marty Wallace" writes:

[...]

Get yourself a good GPS and some software and publish your maps on
the net.

Does anyone have a good idea how to mount these on a bike, esp ones
that don't have a dedecated GPS mount kit for them?

http://dformosa.zeta.org.au/~dformosa/Spelling.html to find out more.
Free the Memes.
Old July 13th 04, 11:23 PM
? the Platypus {aka David Formosa}

Terry Collins writes:

[...]

west at MM to Spencer, Wisemans Ferry (death alley to Dural,)

If I recall correctly Wisemans's Ferry was deep in a vally with a very steap
twisty road down to it. I expect it would be hell to ride on a bike.

Old July 13th 04, 11:58 PM
DRS

"? the Platypus {aka David Formosa}" wrote in
message
Terry Collins writes:

[...]

west at MM to Spencer, Wisemans Ferry (death alley to Dural,)

If I recall correctly Wisemans's Ferry was deep in a vally with a
very steap twisty road down to it. I expect it would be hell to ride
on a bike.

I went through there once on a motorbike on my way up to Singleton. The
road north is 99% gravel all the way and it had been recently graded so I
crawled the entire journey at about 20kph. Hell is a barely adequate
description.

--

A: Top-posters.

Old July 14th 04, 03:20 AM
Dominic Sansom

flyingdutch Wrote:
Speaking of Fiji, what bike did you/your mate end up getting recently
(it was you, yeah? querying what/where to buy a roadbike...)

'twas me...

I found him a Avanti Corsa Carbonio at JT Cycles (they have some of the
best prices I could find) in Adelade... great price AU$2400. It wasn't
that easy getting it to Fiji but he recons it was worth it.

We both ride every (sometimes twice) day and the roads here aren't
great so the carbon forks and seat stay make a HUGH difference.

The one BIG problem is NO BIKE SHOPS in Fiji! We were in Brisbane last
week and spent ALL our spare time (and some serious Ks in the rental
car) tracking down what seemed like every bike shop in town...

--
Dominic Sansom

Old July 14th 04, 03:44 AM
byron27

how about:

-completing the amateur paris-roubaix and getting my own little peice
of cobble on a stand.

-Win a sprint

- Do the raid pyrennes

- cycle around Japan

- Tour e'tape

- Alpe d'huez again!

- training camp in the south of spain

and thats about it for now.....

--
byron27

Old July 14th 04, 07:38 AM
Tom Nicholson

? the Platypus {aka David Formosa} wrote in message ...

Does anyone have a good idea how to mount these on a bike, esp ones
that don't have a dedecated GPS mount kit for them?

Gaffa tape to the rear rack works nicely. Put it in a platic bag
first if your worried about the rain. You can also gaffa to the
handlebars.

Not so sexy but certainly does the trick!

Tom
Old July 14th 04, 02:06 PM
Terry Collins

? the Platypus {aka David Formosa} wrote:

Terry Collins writes:

[...]

west at MM to Spencer, Wisemans Ferry (death alley to Dural,)

If I recall correctly Wisemans's Ferry was deep in a vally with a very steap
twisty road down to it. I expect it would be hell to ride on a bike.

Well yes.

I've bicycled there a few times from Hornsby, down the gorge (steep
down, nice grade out) to wards Dural, then north to Wiseman's Ferry. The
drop into Wiseman's Ferry is steep. I don't think I would want to come
up it.

Going north, you can take the Webb's Creek Ferry (north side -) to go up
the west side of the McDonald River (?) to St Albans )(sneaky feeling
all names are wrong), or the main ferry (east side), to go up the east
side to St ALbans, or up the Convict Road to Ten Mile Hollow, then
Buckety, or followed the sealed road to Spencer, etc.
Old July 15th 04, 12:59 PM
Marty Wallace

"? the Platypus {aka David Formosa}" wrote in message
"Marty Wallace" writes:

[...]

Get yourself a good GPS and some software and publish your maps on
the net.

Does anyone have a good idea how to mount these on a bike, esp ones
that don't have a dedecated GPS mount kit for them?

http://dformosa.zeta.org.au/~dformosa/Spelling.html to find out more.
Free the Memes.

I carry mine in the rear pocket of my cycling jersey. Even when mountain
bike riding you only have to get it out occasionally when you come to a
corner or think you are lost.

Marty

Old July 15th 04, 11:08 PM
kingsley

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 08:21:23 +1000, ? the Platypus {aka David Formosa}
wrote:

Get yourself a good GPS and some software and publish your maps on the
net.

Does anyone have a good idea how to mount these on a bike, esp ones that
don't have a dedecated GPS mount kit for them?

Garmin sell bicycle mounts for their GPSes, but we just put ours in the
map pouch with the handlebar bag. As you know, they need a clear view
of the sky, so hanging it around your neck etc. doesn't work.

-kt

--
Kingsley Turner,
(mailto: )