FIR Rims?

Old July 9th 04, 07:41 PM
S o r n i

Default FIR Rims?

Mark Vieselmeyer wrote:
In rec.bicycles.tech S o r n i wrote:

Bill "FIR rims: soft ride, but the protesters throwing buckets of
blood on you gets rather old" S.

That bike needs one of these:
http://www.velimpex.com/san_marco_pr...nts=sm_emotion

I /knew/ it was gonna be that pic! (Made the rounds in AM-B a few times.)

Bill "sideshowbobshudder.wav" S.

Old July 10th 04, 01:13 AM
Carl Sundquist

"Mark Vieselmeyer" wrote in message

That bike needs one of these:
http://www.velimpex.com/san_marco_pr...nts=sm_emotion

Is that a merkin?

Old July 10th 04, 01:19 AM
bfd

"Carl Sundquist" wrote in message

"Mark Vieselmeyer" wrote in message

That bike needs one of these:
http://www.velimpex.com/san_marco_pr...nts=sm_emotion

Is that a merkin?

I love it! That's funny!!!

Old July 11th 04, 04:30 AM
Tom Sherman

Rick Onanian wrote:

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 16:07:12 +1000, "Bow"
wrote:

Has anyone had any experience with FIR rims? The model I am looking at
buying is the SRG 30 aero profile 28 spoke.

MAPLE or SPRUCE may be stronger.

How wood you know?

--
Tom Sherman – Quad City Area

Old July 11th 04, 04:35 AM
S o r n i

Tom Sherman wrote:
Rick Onanian wrote:

MAPLE or SPRUCE may be stronger.

How wood you know?

That should finish this.

Bill "going against the grain" S.

Old July 12th 04, 10:27 PM
Rick Onanian

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 22:30:51 -0500, Tom Sherman
wrote:
MAPLE or SPRUCE may be stronger.

How wood you know?

I'm in the construction business, so I mite (is that the best I can
come up with?) know this sort of stuff.

Er, seriously, engineers insist that kiln dried spruce is stronger,
but it sure is brittle. IME, hem fir has proven itself to be much
tougher, and I've yet to load KD spruce in any direction where it's
stronger than hem fir.

I hope you aren't board (hah! better...) of my lumbering (woo hoo!)
prose.
--
Rick Onanian
Old July 13th 04, 01:51 AM
Tom Sherman

wrote:

MAPLE or SPRUCE may be stronger.

How wood you know?

I'm in the construction business, so I mite (is that the best I can
come up with?) know this sort of stuff.

Er, seriously, engineers insist that kiln dried spruce is stronger,
but it sure is brittle....

Loaded longitudinally, tangentially, or radial to the grain?

--
Tom Sherman – Quad City Area

Old July 13th 04, 02:55 AM
Rick Onanian

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 19:51:23 -0500, Tom Sherman
wrote:
Er, seriously, engineers insist that kiln dried spruce is stronger,
but it sure is brittle....

Loaded longitudinally, tangentially, or radial to the grain?

In my experience, all of the above, in compression, stretch, span,
beam, whatever types of loads. I've just not had a real-world
experience where KD spruce has survived more load than hem fir.

All combinations of the above loads do happen, between cutting,
nailing, screwing, loading, removing, breaking, and all the other
things you do with wood. I've used both species as parts of walls,
staging, makeshift tools, pavement protection under heavy/sharp
stuff, tables, and as ultra-rough-service boxes.
--
Rick Onanian

Old July 13th 04, 08:31 PM
Curtis L. Russell

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 17:27:29 -0400, Rick Onanian
wrote:

Er, seriously, engineers insist that kiln dried spruce is stronger,
but it sure is brittle. IME, hem fir has proven itself to be much
tougher, and I've yet to load KD spruce in any direction where it's
stronger than hem fir.

OTOH, bamboo really has been used, especially for track. Evidently
someone decided then to try to make bamboo bikes, but those didn't
work out so well.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...