Gears Are For Wimps

Old July 12th 04, 09:08 PM
DRS

Default Gears Are For Wimps

RAGBRAI is the Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa
(http://www.ragbrai.org/), an annual seven-day bicycle ride across the
state. RAGBRAI is the longest, largest and oldest touring bicycle ride in
the world. Every year on RAGBRAI, there is a pair of brothers, now in their
70s, riding full-dress 1-speed 1950s-era schwinns, riding the full course in
long shirts and long pants. They had a sign which these days apparently is
a Tshirt: Gears Are For Wimps.

Dontcha hate people like that? :-)

--

A: Top-posters.

Old July 12th 04, 09:18 PM
DRS

"DRS" wrote in message

RAGBRAI is the Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa
(http://www.ragbrai.org/), an annual seven-day bicycle ride across the
state. RAGBRAI is the longest, largest and oldest touring bicycle
ride in the world. Every year on RAGBRAI, there is a pair of
brothers, now in their 70s, riding full-dress 1-speed 1950s-era
schwinns, riding the full course in long shirts and long pants. They
had a sign which these days apparently is a Tshirt: Gears Are For
Wimps.

Dontcha hate people like that? :-)

Aargh! I forgot the link to their photo (the only one I could find):
http://www.main.com/~plummer/day2/old_guys.jpg

--

A: Top-posters.

Old July 12th 04, 11:15 PM
mfhor

(http://www.ragbrai.org/http://www.ragbrai.org/), an annual seven-day
bicycle ride across the state. RAGBRAI is the longest, largest and
oldest touring bicycle ride in the world. Every year on RAGBRAI, there
is a pair of brothers, now in their 70s, riding full-dress 1-speed 1950s-
era schwinns, riding the full course in long shirts and long pants. They
had a sign which these days apparently is a Tshirt: Gears Are For Wimps.
Dontcha hate people like that? :-)
--
A: Top-posters.
B: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

No. Envy is for the weak of mind.

You might have some argument with BV as to whether the GVBR is
more ancient.

&IIRC, Iowa is mostly dead flat.

Do you fetishise retro-grouches regularly?

Old July 13th 04, 01:02 AM
hippy

"DRS" wrote in message
Every year on RAGBRAI, there is a pair of brothers, now in their
70s, riding full-dress 1-speed 1950s-era schwinns, riding the full

course in
long shirts and long pants. They had a sign which these days

apparently is
a Tshirt: Gears Are For Wimps.

I'd love to still be pedaling at that age..

Reminds me of Rowney's jersey at the '03
Singlespeed World Champs.. on which had been
written "Singlespeeds are gay". Of course, he can
say that because he'll kick almost anyone's arse
on an mtb..

hippy

Old July 13th 04, 01:27 AM
Terry Collins

mfhor wrote:

You might have some argument with BV as to whether the GVBR is
more ancient.

Absolutely NO argument can be advanced for GVBR being older.
RAGBRAI is ancient and was one of the rides that lead to the GVBR and
others. It think it started in the 1970's.
Old July 13th 04, 02:51 AM
Mike

DRS wrote:
RAGBRAI is the Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa

Iowa in one gear? The only challenge there is to avoid dying of
boredom. Or it would be riding alone there. But with 10,000 riders
(!!!) it would be a sight.
Who won the polka-dot jersey? ( "King of the prairie-dog mound" )

Next year: "Sunscreen is for wimps" ride in Ireland.
Old July 13th 04, 05:41 AM
K&C Russell

"DRS" wrote in message
RAGBRAI is the Register's Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa
(http://www.ragbrai.org/), an annual seven-day bicycle ride across the
state. RAGBRAI is the longest, largest and oldest touring bicycle ride in
the world. Every year on RAGBRAI, there is a pair of brothers, now in

their
70s, riding full-dress 1-speed 1950s-era schwinns, riding the full course

in
long shirts and long pants. They had a sign which these days apparently

is
a Tshirt: Gears Are For Wimps.

Dontcha hate people like that? :-)

--

A: Top-posters.

Maybe it should have read more than 1 gear is for wimps. Because we all use
some ratio to drive the rear wheel. Otherwise you are riding a scooter!

Kevin

Old July 14th 04, 03:11 AM
Mike

K&C Russell wrote:

Maybe it should have read more than 1 gear is for wimps. Because we all use
some ratio to drive the rear wheel.

True. I believe a bike without gears is called a Penny-Farthing.
Old July 15th 04, 09:29 AM
Peter Signorini

"Mike" wrote in message
K&C Russell wrote:

Maybe it should have read more than 1 gear is for wimps. Because we all

use
some ratio to drive the rear wheel.

True. I believe a bike without gears is called a Penny-Farthing.

Actually the Penny Farthing still has a gear. Just change it by getting a
bigger front wheel. And fork... and frame!!

Cheers
Peter

Advantages of Higher and Lower Gears? Elisa Francesca Roselli General 21 April 3rd 04 06:13 AM
Gears gears gear..what to choose? bstephens Techniques 8 February 18th 04 04:06 PM
Gears slipping Mark Panitz Techniques 2 January 19th 04 07:04 AM
newbie bike question - how to tell if bike chain is worn too much Stephen Australia 7 November 28th 03 01:14 AM
Usable gears on 53,39 x 25,12 9 speed? Mike S. Techniques 4 September 27th 03 02:05 PM