Chain skipping on large chain ring.

Old August 20th 05, 03:05 PM
Jasper Janssen

Default Chain skipping on large chain ring.

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 00:12:49 GMT, wrote:

There being 5-bolts on the kind of CW I use, rotating them is an
imprecise art since 90 degrees is the desired rotation and that isn't
available.

How imprecise is it to simply rotate by one bolt every so often? The goal
is long-term spread of wear across as much of the chainring as possible,
not getting it to points at right angles to the last wear. Rotating by 90
degrees at a time would get you less even distribution -- Given that wear
is symmetrical (I suppose it isn't quite, due to the spindle being between
the left crank and it), a 4-bolt attachment will allow you to spread the
wear on a chainring to just two different locations since there are two
opposite but equivalent orientations, and a 5 bolt will allow you to
spread it to 5 different orientations. I don't think it matters hugely in
practice, though.

Jasper
Old August 20th 05, 03:13 PM
Jasper Janssen

On 15 Aug 2005 14:43:04 -0700, "Marvin" wrote:

Actually, I checked this with some suitable old/new bikes today. About
eight teeth on a new 48t chainring take obvious tension, and with a
worn-out chain two, maybe three teeth. It should be obvious that wear
on everything will be a lot faster when the load per tooth (or per
chain link) is around 8/3 times greater.

Now try an older chainring with a new chain. This is the permutation that
matters, and I'd like to hear your result.

Jasper