backpacks

Old April 4th 14, 09:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Default backpacks

QUOTE OF THE WEEK

' Don't need it to carry much.'

Old April 4th 14, 11:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:
QUOTE OF THE WEEK

' Don't need it to carry much.'

Lol. But I've been commuting for years. I have a pretty good idea of what
I need to carry.

--
duane
Old April 5th 14, 05:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Király

Duane wrote:
Looking for something comfortable on a road bike with about 25km each way
commute.

wince Ooooh. The words "25km each way" and "backpack" and
"comfortable" do not go together for me at all. I won't wear anything on
my back for a commute that long. I don't like to wear a backpack for any
amount of time while riding.

Any reason why do want to do that instead of panniers?

--
K.

Lang may your lum reek.
Old April 5th 14, 05:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

Király wrote:
Duane wrote:
Looking for something comfortable on a road bike with about 25km each way
commute.

wince Ooooh. The words "25km each way" and "backpack" and
"comfortable" do not go together for me at all. I won't wear anything on
my back for a commute that long. I don't like to wear a backpack for any
amount of time while riding.

Any reason why do want to do that instead of panniers?

I want to use my road bike. It doesn't take panniers. Anyway 25k is not
that much. I use it for training.

--
duane
Old April 5th 14, 05:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

I have a smaller version - it seems to be well made and works well for day hikes and biking. But the mesh only helps a bit - there's still a pack getting in the way of the wind.
Old April 5th 14, 05:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Stephen Bauman

On Thu, 03 Apr 2014 15:55:06 -0400, Duane wrote:

Looking for a recommendation for a good backpack to use for commuting.
~20 liter. I've seen some made by Deuter that seem good but I don't
know this brand. Looking for something fairly light and vented to
reduce sweat.

My current one is a Camelback hydro rig with the water bottle removed.
It needs replacement and I need something a little larger.

I'd go with a pannier or old style seat bag. I'm against any backpack on
a bike.

1. You are carrying any weight twice in a backpack. You are carrying the
weight when you go uphill like a pannier or seat bag. You are also
continuously carrying that weight on your back which you would not be
doing, if the bike frame supported it.

2. Should you be carrying anything hard and fall, there's a chance that
hard object will be pushed into your body. I'd rather not have my body
cushion any hard objects.

Stephen Bauman
Old April 5th 14, 07:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

gnaw never feel a burden. even a heavy pack load dissolves into ride attention.

look, get some poly braided mesh....dive mesh ?

http://www.seattlefabrics.com/mesh.html

roll mesh into tubes, fasten to pack.

ventilation space.

next....a scoop !

YO BATMAN ?
Old April 5th 14, 10:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 06/04/14 02:00, Király wrote:
Duane wrote:
Looking for something comfortable on a road bike with about 25km each way
commute.

wince Ooooh. The words "25km each way" and "backpack" and
"comfortable" do not go together for me at all. I won't wear anything on
my back for a commute that long. I don't like to wear a backpack for any
amount of time while riding.

Any reason why do want to do that instead of panniers?

I quite happily commuted the same distance with a backpack.

--
JS
Old April 5th 14, 10:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 06/04/14 02:51, Stephen Bauman wrote:
[...]

When you stand on the pedals the backpack weight adds to your body
weight, assisting in pushing down on the pedals.

I carried books, clothes and shoes. No sharp or pointy objects. No
more dangerous than what I'd carry in back pockets anyway.

--
JS
Old April 5th 14, 10:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Thursday, April 3, 2014 3:55:06 PM UTC-4, Duane wrote:
Looking for a recommendation for a good backpack to use for commuting.

~20 liter. I've seen some made by Deuter that seem good but I don't

know this brand. Looking for something fairly light and vented to

reduce sweat.

My current one is a Camelback hydro rig with the water bottle removed.

It needs replacement and I need something a little larger.

Hey there Duane.

Have you considered a trunk bag on a setpost rack? How about a large hadlebar bag mounted behind the seat on a short section of handlebar attached to a threadless stem clamped to your seatpost? Like this one before I shortened the bar even more. It works really well.

Cheers

https://www.flickr.com/photos/73832500@N00/211357083/