Best Tyre/dynamo combination?

Old December 10th 03, 09:45 AM
PD

Default Best Tyre/dynamo combination?

I'm a great fan of dynamos - virtually fit & forget lighting. But
aaaargh.... slippage in dank greasy foggy conditions again, just when you
need it the most causing the light to flicker.

My tyres are 700C Conti Top Touring 2000 and the dynamo is a Nordlicht
2000 with the metal roller well aligned.

Anyone have any opinion which is the best dynamo/commuting 700C tyre
combination for avoiding dynamo slippage? (I know that a hub dynamo would
solve it all). Thanks for any opinions.
--
Paul

Old December 10th 03, 10:21 AM
Just zis Guy, you know?

"PD" wrote in message

Anyone have any opinion which is the best dynamo/commuting 700C tyre
combination for avoiding dynamo slippage? (I know that a hub dynamo would
solve it all).

You got it - a hub dynamo is the only proven method. The Shimano Nexus is
cheap, robust and works well - a no-brainer if you ask me. But by
implication you didn't ;-)

--
Guy
===

http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

Old December 10th 03, 11:45 AM
Clive George

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message
"PD" wrote in message

Anyone have any opinion which is the best dynamo/commuting 700C tyre
combination for avoiding dynamo slippage? (I know that a hub dynamo

would
solve it all).

You got it - a hub dynamo is the only proven method. The Shimano Nexus is
cheap, robust and works well - a no-brainer if you ask me. But by
implication you didn't ;-)

Seconded. My dyno hubs have been the most reliable lights I've ever had.

(b+m with wire wheel + schwalbe marathon tyre? won't slip, but must be
careful with angles, otherwise it will destroy the tyre)

cheers,
clive

Old December 10th 03, 03:17 PM
Neil Brown

Anyone have any opinion which is the best dynamo/commuting 700C tyre
combination for avoiding dynamo slippage? (I know that a hub dynamo would
solve it all). Thanks for any opinions.

Yup - you might need a 'Dynamo Hat' - these are little rubber or soft
plastic covers that fit over the hard metal or plastic dynamo wheel - they
do wear out eventually, (though they seem to last a surprisingly long time)
but anyway they only cost about 15 to 20 pence, and save wear on the tyre
and grip **much** better - they make a bottle dynamo work in any weather - I
was going to build a wheel around a hub dynamo until I heard of these.

Beacon Cycles, Loughborough (in the phone book) is where I got mine.

Old December 10th 03, 08:21 PM
chris French

In message , PD
writes
I'm a great fan of dynamos - virtually fit & forget lighting. But
aaaargh.... slippage in dank greasy foggy conditions again, just when you
need it the most causing the light to flicker.

My tyres are 700C Conti Top Touring 2000 and the dynamo is a Nordlicht
2000 with the metal roller well aligned.

Anyone have any opinion which is the best dynamo/commuting 700C tyre
combination for avoiding dynamo slippage? (I know that a hub dynamo would
solve it all).

Have you tired the rubber cap you can (apparently get) get for the
Nordlicht?

FWIW I run an AXA dynamo on a Top Touring tyre with no problem

--
Chris French, Leeds
Old December 10th 03, 11:01 PM
Simon Proven

PD wrote:

Anyone have any opinion which is the best dynamo/commuting 700C tyre
combination for avoiding dynamo slippage? (I know that a hub dynamo would
solve it all). Thanks for any opinions.

I've got two bicycles with SON hub dynamos. What more can I tell you,
you already seem to know the answer!

Simon

Old December 13th 03, 05:23 PM
Paulluton8

I have used a Nordlich with the (replacement) larger rubber roller with a
variety of tyres and had little slippage problem.
(sorry if this is not well formatted - temp use of aol.)

Paul Luton
Old January 6th 04, 12:03 AM
pmailkeey

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 20:21:07 +0000, chris French
wrote:

Have you tired the rubber cap you can (apparently get) get for the
Nordlicht?

I wonder if a rubber band would do ? !

FWIW I run an AXA dynamo on a Top Touring tyre with no problem

AXAiq on Brompton - no probs, wet or dry.
Basta with smooth wheel !!!!???? slips a bit in the wet on the other
bike. LBS supplied(FOC) another Basta with fluted wheel but as I don't
use the bike tha much, I haven't got round to fitting it yet !
--
Comm again, Mike.
Old January 6th 04, 12:03 AM
pmailkeey

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 09:45:57 -0000, "PD" wrote:

I'm a great fan of dynamos - virtually fit & forget lighting. But
aaaargh.... slippage in dank greasy foggy conditions again, just when you
need it the most causing the light to flicker.

My tyres are 700C Conti Top Touring 2000 and the dynamo is a Nordlicht
2000 with the metal roller well aligned.

Tyre seems fine, and likely dynamo. I assume it turns "freely" ?

The other thing to watch is that when it's not rolling on the tyre,
that it's not too far from the tyre. If it is, then perhaps there's
not enough spring pressure left to hold it firmly against the tyre
wall.
--
Comm again, Mike.