the new stingray

Old August 12th 04, 09:08 PM
Donald Gillies

Default the new stingray

"Callistus Valerius" writes:

It's the weirdest thing, it has a motorcycle wheel and tire on the back and
it weighs a ton.

http://www.schwinnstingray.com/

I had to spend an hour at a street corner in LA a month ago when I
lost track of our riding group (long story). In order to rejoin the
group, I needed to use my cell phone. Anyway, I could not make or
receive phone calls for half the time because Harley Davidsons were in
the Area (parked anywhere from 0 - 20 cars away from the light.)

I think that these new schwinns need an obnoxious sound-effects unit
to be installed to complete the desired "effect" that the owner is
trying to achieve.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA
Old August 12th 04, 10:53 PM
Bill Davidson

H wrote:
As a kid in the late 70's my brother and I both had stingrays. We had
great times on those bikes. It was cool to have a tall orange flag on
the rear seat post. Bad ass kids tilted the handle bars way far
forward and gave the seat an extreme downward or upward tilt. This was
the shizzle until bmx bikes with fiberglass wheels came out then the
stingray w/bannana seat was no longer cool.

I got a the mini-version of the Stingray when I was 4 (around 1967
or 1968). I got the full sized one when I was eight (my brother
inherited the mini). My brother got his own full sized Stingray when
he was 8 and our sister inherited the mini .

I remember having "racing" slicks which had a rectangular cross
section where they met the road; like car tires. We used to
have contests to see who could make the longest skid. The almost
new sidewalks in our neighborhood soon had long smooth black marks
all over them .

We thought our Schwinns were the pinacle of bicycle technology
Old August 12th 04, 11:00 PM
Bill Davidson

Evan Evans wrote:
Has schwinn ever made anything any good? Schwinn is just a cheep bike company that
makes poor decisions.

When I was a kid, Schwinn's were THE bikes to have. They may
have been heavy but they were also very durable for their time.
Huffy's were for losers. BMX hadn't been invented yet. Banana
seats were still cool.

For serious bikes, look up the Schwinn Paramount. It was a
well respected bike with serious racers for many years.
Old August 13th 04, 01:25 AM
Rick Onanian

On 12 Aug 2004 13:08:43 -0700, (Donald Gillies)
wrote:
I had to spend an hour at a street corner in LA a month ago when I

Isn't that kind of work illegal there? I thought it was only legal
in Nevada. BFG
--
Rick Onanian
Old August 14th 04, 03:54 PM
Geoff King

I saw one yesterday at the bike path. Kinda cool looking, but not sure
if i'd want to ride one. The kid loved it, he was even cleaning a tiny
amount of mud off the fender to shine it up.

Old August 21st 04, 02:19 AM
Mike Iglesias

In article YFRSc.34383$Uh.16421@fed1read02,
Bill Davidson wrote:
I remember having "racing" slicks which had a rectangular cross
section where they met the road; like car tires. We used to
have contests to see who could make the longest skid. The almost
new sidewalks in our neighborhood soon had long smooth black marks
all over them .

We had a house on a corner so I had two sidewalks to mess up with
my Stingray. At least until my Dad caught me doing that. He wasn't
too happy about the skid marks...

--
Mike Iglesias Email:
University of California, Irvine phone: 949-824-6926