Carbon Bars?

Old July 27th 04, 12:47 AM
John Park

Default Carbon Bars?

I ride a steel Lemond with carbon forks and what I guess are aluminum bars.
When in the drops, the pressure and vibration hurts the hands. Are carbon
bars the solution? Phat tape from Specialized? Comments?

John P.

Old July 27th 04, 01:00 AM
H. Morgan

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 18:47:41 -0500, "John Park"
wrote:

I ride a steel Lemond with carbon forks and what I guess are aluminum bars.
When in the drops, the pressure and vibration hurts the hands. Are carbon
bars the solution? Phat tape from Specialized? Comments?

John P.

Somewhat. But why not try the cheapest solution first? Bar Phat pads
(not just fat tape) will help quite a bit, but will make your bars
slightly fatter. They are relatively cheap though. I have had good
luck with them. My experience with carbon bars is that they do lessen
road shock noticably, but are expensive and flex too much for my
liking when I stand to sprint. I prefer my Deda Newtons with Bar Phat.
Some carbon bars will be a lot less flexible, but as a result probably
soak up less road shock.
Old July 27th 04, 01:32 AM
Terry Morse

John Park wrote:

I ride a steel Lemond with carbon forks and what I guess are aluminum bars.
When in the drops, the pressure and vibration hurts the hands. Are carbon
bars the solution? Phat tape from Specialized? Comments?

The first thing to suspect when you have hand discomfort is the fit.
You probably are carrying too much weight on your hands. I suspect
your bars are too low or too far forward. Another possibility is
that your saddle is tilted downwards, forcing you to use your hands
to push backwards to stay on the saddle.

No, carbon bars won't solve the problem.
Old July 27th 04, 02:04 AM
H. Morgan

On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 17:32:25 -0700, Terry Morse
wrote:

John Park wrote:

I ride a steel Lemond with carbon forks and what I guess are aluminum bars.
When in the drops, the pressure and vibration hurts the hands. Are carbon
bars the solution? Phat tape from Specialized? Comments?

The first thing to suspect when you have hand discomfort is the fit.
You probably are carrying too much weight on your hands. I suspect
your bars are too low or too far forward. Another possibility is
that your saddle is tilted downwards, forcing you to use your hands
to push backwards to stay on the saddle.

No, carbon bars won't solve the problem.

Whoops, I missed that possibility entirely. Thanks for pointing that
out. You are absolutely correct.
Old July 29th 04, 03:11 AM
John Park

"Terry Morse" wrote in message
John Park wrote:

I ride a steel Lemond with carbon forks and what I guess are aluminum

bars.
When in the drops, the pressure and vibration hurts the hands. Are

carbon
bars the solution? Phat tape from Specialized? Comments?

The first thing to suspect when you have hand discomfort is the fit.
You probably are carrying too much weight on your hands. I suspect
your bars are too low or too far forward. Another possibility is
that your saddle is tilted downwards, forcing you to use your hands
to push backwards to stay on the saddle.

No, carbon bars won't solve the problem.

I stopped by my LBS this PM and front bars went down about 3/4" - - - seat
went up about 1-1/2" - - - seat went back about 1/2". He said I may wish
to spend most of the time on the hoods, and use the drops only when the need
arises. The fact that I changed the way that I ride and that I wend
clipless accounted for most of the changes I think.

Thanks for all the advise to all who replied. Seems that throwing money at
a problem is not always the best way to go.

John P.