Skater style helmet vs. Bike style helmet

Old September 10th 06, 11:53 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ivan

Default Skater style helmet vs. Bike style helmet

I'm relatively new to unicycling. I'm learning freestyle and street
right now. I'm going to start trying unispins next thursday. That's
when I'll probably start wearing my helmet. Now, which type of helmet
is more suitable freestyle? I would think skater style helmet. I have a
bike helmet right now, but I'm thinking of getting a new one, as the
bike helmet has been hit and I don't really like it that much.

Anyway, what are the pros and cons of both types of helmets?
I understand that the skater helmet is hard-shell and so can take
repetitive abuse, but it's more hot. Does headband help? How much would
I expect to pay for a good helmet?

--
ivan

unicyclops wrote:
shut up god

ivan's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12759

Old September 10th 06, 04:51 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mornish

I'd get a pro-tec skate style helmet. theyre really nice. if you end up
sweating a lot, get a buff. they make the best helmet liner ever.

Bike style helmets are probably better for muni though.

--
mornish

tobbogonist wrote:
that was neat, now i only have to put it to use.
parents banned my uni due to low school marks so if there are any nerds
out there with a kind heart, i have a psychology assignment that is a
few weeks over due, it is on intelligence.

Old September 10th 06, 04:53 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
zfreak220

skater style helmets also offer protection for the back of your head.
and though they are tougher, if you have a bad fall and that helmet
saved your head, you shouldn't keep using it, because you may not see
the damage it took for you. so just get a new one. its basically
comfort vs. protection.

--
zfreak220

iridemymuni wrote:
i think everybody agrees when i say you lucky son of a bitch

David_Stone wrote:
Can a unicycle give you gonnorhea?

Sgaterboy wrote:
I hear the best way to harden up nipples up is to go downtown and get a
good rim job

zfreak220's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11948

Old September 10th 06, 05:38 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
shanek

i do trials and freestyle and i used a biking helmet for a bit but then
i hit the back of my head and the helmet didnt offer a lot of
protection so i just got a new helmet yesterday. It's a protec helmet
and it offers a lot of protection in the back and i find it
lightweight. I paid $59.99(CAD before tax). I'd say get it cause its
comfortable, lightweight, offers a lot of protection and looks really
good.

--
shanek

"All unicycles are created equal, no matter what size, colour,
or parts they may have."
shanek's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12970

Old September 10th 06, 10:20 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
kapoute

bike helmet = ugly
skater helmet = look cool

Do I have to say something more?

--
kapoute

Love

Julien Renaud
kapoute's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8060

Old September 10th 06, 10:53 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ackgot

I use my snowboard helmet*

*awesome

--
ackgot

boing!
ackgot's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12956

Old September 11th 06, 01:25 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
primus

skate helmets are desighned for multiple very heavy accidents but when

--
primus

PS: this is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were
eliminated

aim: speshlspeclsteak
primus's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11833

Old September 11th 06, 02:04 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
monkeyman

kapoute wrote:
bike helmet = ugly
skater helmet = look cool

Do I have to say something more?

What's that word....oh yeah, SAFETY!!!

Conciousness coma

That said, I wear a skate helmet, and I feel naked when wearing a bike
helmet, because it doesn't seem to cover as much of my head. It seems
like skate helmets would do a better job of protecting me if I fell on
the front or back of my head.

--
monkeyman

Alex, MR addict.

Into the blue wrote:
I'm going to plead the fifth on the Harper-love thing.

Into the blue wrote:
I was young. Naive.
He got me drunk.
I don't want to talk about it.

monkeyman's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11455

Old September 11th 06, 05:11 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
boo radley

i use a giro xen bicycle helmet when it's hot outside. it covers the
back of my head and has good ventilation. it was expensive though. i
use my protec skate helmet when heat is not as much of an issue (at
night, for example) because it's a little more comfortable, and it is
designed to take multiple impacts.

--
boo radley

"no really, are you sure you love me more than your unicycle?" -my gf

"America is my country and I love her. I wouldn't enter her in any way
that's unnatural." - hank hill
boo radley's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10484