out-of-round rim - reliability?

Old August 21st 04, 10:55 PM
Tim McNamara

Jan Lindström writes:

Again, thank you again, the correction was easier than I feared and
the radial trueness is within 0,5 mm.

Oh, my. That is plenty round!
Old August 21st 04, 10:58 PM
Tim McNamara

"Trevor Jeffrey" writes:

Jan Lindström wrote in message ...
Built a wheel and achieved reasonable lateral trueness and equal
spoke tension (as good as I care to iterate). However, I noticed the
wheel is radially out-of-true by a mm in rather sharp bumps.

The relative spoke tension in high/low spots is not
lower/higher. Was the rim not round to begin with? That would
explain the out-of-roundness even with equal tension. The tension is
high enough, I had a reference wheel whose tension was determined by
the method described in "The Bicycle Wheel".

Done that. you have radial buckling, the cause of which is
overtensioning the spokes. This may be a permanent rim deformation,
back off the spoke tension and see if it disappears. If it doesn't
just use it anyway with much lower spoke tension.

"Radial buckling?" You really are just making this stuff up as you
go, aren't you? Excessive spoke tension will result in *lateral*
deformations after stress relieving or hard braking. The OP notes
that his rim is out of round by a half millimeter, which is close
enough to perfect.
Old August 22nd 04, 03:56 AM
Trevor Jeffrey

Tim McNamara wrote in message ...
"Radial buckling?" You really are just making this stuff up as you
go, aren't you? Excessive spoke tension will result in *lateral*
deformations after stress relieving or hard braking. The OP notes
that his rim is out of round by a half millimeter, which is close
enough to perfect.

No, I have greater experience. Excessive tension will sometimes result in
radial undulations whose wave traverses every four spokes due to
overtensioning. Sometimes lateral undulations exist or large lateral waves,
all are buckling. Also, rims can be perfectly true and overtensioned, only
to buckle when ridden. Your comments are unnecessary, the poster had not
noted this 0.5mm by the time I had replied, had I known I'd have ignored it.
Why do you constantly attack my posts?

Trevor

Old August 22nd 04, 09:58 AM
Jan Lindström

Tim McNamara wrote:
Jan Lindström writes:

Again, thank you again, the correction was easier than I feared and
the radial trueness is within 0,5 mm.

Oh, my. That is plenty round!

I think so. I think the problem with wheel-building for me is that I
purchased Jobst's book before the first wheel build and since the wheels
last a long distance I never get enough practise in it to have the feel
for it. It's an adventure every time to build a wheel. My last
wheelbuild was over a year ago.

But I'm all set now, thank you all.

Jan