Unicycles on the plane (long instructions)

Old December 19th 05, 05:11 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Default Unicycles on the plane (long instructions)

My brother and I are planning to take our unicycles with us when we fly
(Via. Air-Canada) to Florida.

Has there been any problems flying with a unicycle since 9/11's
security crackdown? (a unicycle seat-post as part of carry-on etc.)

Do the techniques mentioned in this thread still apply now, six years
later?

Is there better ways to fly with a unicycle now? Do KH unicycles need
careful handling and lots of padding like the unicycles of yesteryear?

P.S. I'm not talking about designs for jet-powered unicycle, ok?

--
UNIquelyCanadian

~Cameron
_www.camerondonaldson.com__

"If you're looking for truth, don't search within yourself --You're the
one who's confused in the first place!"
- Frank Peretti
UNIquelyCanadian's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7524

Old December 19th 05, 05:35 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

In the past 2 years, I have flown twice with my Summit. I took it apart
and packed it in a cardboard box. With the assistance of lots of tape,
the box survived the two trips but I will get a new box before the next
trip.

On the first trip the box was hand-searched. I had told the ticket
agent the box contained "sports equipment". When the luggage searcher
got done with my box he yelled across the counter, "your unicycle is
all ready to go".

A box big enough to hold a dismantled unicycle is cumbersome to carry
through an airport.

--
Wheel Rider

A man can fail many times but he isn't a failure until he begins to
blame someone else. - Waite Phillips
Wheel Rider's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10656

Old December 20th 05, 12:58 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

I've flown with my summit several times since 9/11. I use the so-called
"Jack Halpern" method. I don't dismantle anything and have actually
riden it in the airport.

Only once was I given any trouble. An airport security officer told me
that I could not bring it through the security checkpoint. When I
questioned her about what I should do she told me to talk to the ticket
agent at the counter. When I went to the ticket agent he printed a
card that gave me persmission to bring it through. I saved the card
because it seemed so funny to me. On the card it had a place to
indicate the reason for the permission. The ticket agent had written:

"Passenger has special needs"

I'm not exactly sure what to think of that.

-mg

--
mgrant

The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older, shorter of
breath, and one day closer to death.
michael_j_grant (at) yahoo (dot) com
Gallery: http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/Michael_Grant/
mgrant's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/440

Old December 20th 05, 05:44 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

Looks like the "naked unicycle" method can still work, even in the
United States. I was going to caution that some airports (or TSA
employees) or airlines may be more strict. But the most strict,
thorough TSA inspectors I've come across were in Salt Lake City (after
they hosted the Olympics). That's where mgrant is.

But if you travel with a naked unicycle, you may end up stuck like the
unilady was ($40 box or other fees), so use caution. I still prefer my
big, expandable zipper bag with wheels on the bottom. It looks like
"regular" luggage, and it's easy to manage with one unicycle in it.
There's room for more stuff and, best of all, it has wheels!

Note that there are many restrictions on what you can and can't bring
in your carryon (through the security checkpoint). Pedals, tools,
generally anything metal may be a problem, so try to pack them in your
checked luggage.

Or, if you're traveling with a laptop, just put them in the laptop's
briefcase. It seems they get less attention if you have a laptop with
you. They concentrate on the laptop and so far, haven't been at all
curious about all the other metal stuff in the briefcase. At SLC too!

--
johnfoss

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone

"Read the rules!" -- 'IUF Rulebook'

Old December 20th 05, 11:19 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling

With a normal sized suitcase, I was able to fit two 24" munis and a 20"
learner cycle, plus clothes and other stuff.

I generally tend to pack my unicycle in the suitcase with the clothes
all around as a bit of a buffer

--
unicyclistjoe

NZUni President