Ambrosio Excellight Road Rims

Old October 7th 08, 07:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
RS

Default Ambrosio Excellight Road Rims

Has anyone had experience with these specific Rims, the Ambrosio
Excellight? They appear to be very similiar to Open Pros. Is there
any advantage to the Ambrosios over the Open Pros, which seem to
be the industry standard for these type of tims.

Old October 7th 08, 08:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
bfd

On Oct 7, 11:08*am, RS wrote:
Has anyone had experience with these specific Rims, the Ambrosio
Excellight? *They appear to be very similiar to Open Pros. *Is there
any advantage to the Ambrosios over the Open Pros, which seem to
be the industry standard for these type of tims.

Well, looking at Ambrosio's website, it seems to be very similar to a
Mavic OP. Both weigh about the same (430g for the Excellight SSC
versus 425g for the OP), double eyelets, anodized with machined
sidewalls and retail for about $60 each.

The only negative I have about Mavic OP rims are they sometimes
develop an annoying clicking noise. Sometimes lubing the eyelets makes
the noise go away. Sometimes its in the joint and then nothing stops
the noise.

Alternatively, take a look at either the Velocity Aerohead rim (405g)
or the IRD Cadence rims (390g). Both come in regular and offset rear
rims. Good Luck!
Old October 7th 08, 10:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_2_]

RS wrote:
Has anyone had experience with these specific Rims, the Ambrosio
Excellight? They appear to be very similiar to Open Pros. Is there
any advantage to the Ambrosios over the Open Pros, which seem to
be the industry standard for these type of tims.

My 'feel good' wheels are built with these rims together with Tune hubs
and Sapim X-ray spokes. These are very nice rims. Can't compare them
with Mavic Open Pro's because after encountered some Mavic quality
issues I don't use Mavic rims any more.

Lou
Old October 8th 08, 08:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Hank

On Oct 7, 11:08*am, RS wrote:
Has anyone had experience with these specific Rims, the Ambrosio
Excellight? *They appear to be very similiar to Open Pros. *Is there
any advantage to the Ambrosios over the Open Pros, which seem to
be the industry standard for these type of tims.

I had a set of them as part of a "Sonar" wheelzinnabox set.
Surprisingly, they held up fine under my weight (230-250), even at
28h. I wound up selling the wheels to Recycled Cycles, but that was
because of the lousy hubs, not the rims. I never had to touch them
with a spoke wrench.