Trike wheels

Old September 3rd 03, 06:11 AM
Sticker Jim

Default Trike wheels

Diamondback makes 3 flavours of 48 spoke, 14mm axle wheels. I can buy the
single wall black wheels for about $40 Cdn, the double walled chromies (high
rim wall) for about $50 Cdn and some cool black double wall aeros for about
$80. I weight ~230 lbs and regularily ride around on two wheels on my
trikes and have had no problem with the front wheels at all. I'm more
worried about the taco tendencies of my rear 26"ers.

These same rims come in rear hub versions and you can spin any
cassette/freewheel on it you want. If you're looking for more gearing than
a single derailer set, hook up a mid drive but make sure you give yourself
at least 6 or 7" of ground clearance for your mid drive derailler.

"Moosh:]" wrote in message
Hi folks. I'm dreaming of building a trike (that's code for designing
in my head I'm thinking of using 20" BMX wheels as they are pretty
tough. Someone on another group thought bike wheels might not be able
to take the side thrust of a multiwheeler, as they don't have to take
much of this on a two wheeler. Seeing some of the BMX stunts I
wouldn't be surprised it they can take a fair bit of side thrust.

I also want those old tyres with circumferential ribs so that when
pumped hard, only one thick rib touches the tarmac. Seems they are not
very popular in these days of go-anywhere knobblies on mountain bikes.
Any suggestions? I would also like one wheel with a three-speed hub
gear in it. Any ideas what bikes may come like this? I know there are
20" mountain bikes, but they come with knobblies and deraileurs from
what I can see. Maybe I just have to bite the bullet and get a LBS to
make me up some wheels.

trike attachment? Werehatrack Techniques 15 July 31st 04 04:00 AM
wheels Tom Reingold Techniques 43 June 11th 04 05:37 AM
Reduced spoke wheels OK? rocketman58 Techniques 3 April 6th 04 12:06 AM
Parkinson's Survivor Trike Stolen Cycle America/Nat. Bicycle Greenway General 0 December 9th 03 06:10 AM