Suntour Superbe Track Group - Value? Interest?

Old August 26th 06, 02:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace
me

Default Suntour Superbe Track Group - Value? Interest?

I have an essentially unused 1988/9 vintage Suntour Superbe Track Group.
This has been mounted on a frame set for years but not ridden except for low
mileage in the neighborhood.

Complete group includes:

165 crank set w/English BB
48-49-50-51 1/8 rings 144 BCD
13-15-17-18 1/8 cogs
lock ring
lock ring tool
14/15 mm peanut box end wrench
head set
HF sealed hubs built into Rigida Score dark grey anodized clincher rims
Original Suntour race bag for all cogs/tools

All cosmetically perfect and as new except for installation and about 100
miles road usage.

Currently built into a Razesa 55 cm track frame, Columbus SP tubes. Clear
red lacquer over full chrome with Gipiemme dropouts. Full chrome fork.
Campy C-Record post. All gorgeous and near perfect.

All very cool and outstanding quality.

What is the Superbe group worth alone? On the frame? I haven't been able
to Google a rational comp-price. Digital photos to serious enquiries.

For the right $$$ the group alone or bike go to finance a purpose built
single speed; else I'll hang on to it all for sentimental value.

What say ye?

Jeffrey

Old August 26th 06, 03:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace

me wrote:
I have an essentially unused 1988/9 vintage Suntour Superbe Track Group.
This has been mounted on a frame set for years but not ridden except for low
mileage in the neighborhood.
What is the Superbe group worth alone? On the frame? I haven't been able
to Google a rational comp-price. Digital photos to serious enquiries.

For the right $$$ the group alone or bike go to finance a purpose built
single speed; else I'll hang on to it all for sentimental value.

What say ye?

Used is used. After that, condition = value.
Part it out, take some sharp close-ups and put it all on ebay. "Reserve
the right to local sale", pull the auction late if the return doesn't
suit you. --D-y

Old August 29th 06, 05:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace

Alex wrote:
wrote:

Used is used. After that, condition = value.
Part it out, take some sharp close-ups and put it all on ebay. "Reserve
the right to local sale", pull the auction late if the return doesn't
suit you. --D-y

Reserv the right to local sale is pretty lame. It's like the buyer
retracting their bid because they found the item cheaper locally.

"Local sale" is a restriction, posted for bidders to read before
bidding, i.e., "entering into a contract to buy". Ebay lets this happen
all the time without problem as far as I know; they'll get their money,
and bidders are supposed to read the item description before agreeing
to the provisions included before bidding. Yes, sellers use this to
protect themselves from lowball bids winning their auctions. This of
course is easier to appreciate from the selling standpoint g.

Bidding is entering into a contract (all of this according to ebay
regs, no quibbling from lawyers, others, please); retracting is
breaking a contract, or at least asking to be let out. Bidding without
intent to carry through forthrightly is lame, in my view. Other reasons
(sudden financial problem for instance) might not fit that category.

IOW, reserving the local sale option and pulling a bid are two
different things entirely.

FWIW, if I found something I'd bid high for cheaper locally, I'd email
the seller and ask for an "out". Offer to pay his listing fee,
whatever. The goal is happy seller/happy buyer, remembering "it's only
money" and keeping it on that level. --D-y

Old August 31st 06, 03:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace
Alex

wrote:
Alex wrote:
wrote:

[...]

A contract is between two parties. So when the person putting item up
for auction they are agreeing to selling the item at the bid price. So
by using the lame excuse that they got a local buyer, they are breaking
the contract. It is also a way of avoiding ebay fees. I haven't
checked, but it is probably against ebay rules.

Old August 31st 06, 03:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace

Alex wrote:
A contract is between two parties. So when the person putting item up
for auction they are agreeing to selling the item at the bid price. So
by using the lame excuse that they got a local buyer, they are breaking
the contract. It is also a way of avoiding ebay fees. I haven't
checked, but it is probably against ebay rules.

I haven't sold for a few years, so I checked:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/end_early.html

Gives a list of "outs" for sellers. Twelve hours is the time limit.
"Item is no longer for sale" is a nice, broad exclusion. Again, the
goal is happy buyers and sellers. This is a good compromise IMHO toward
that end-- if no one tops an early low bid, and the seller doesn't end
before the 12-hour time limit, the item must be sold to the highest
bidder. So, risk to the seller and bidder/buyer expectations are
balanced.

Ebay seems to be happy with collecting the insertion fee on items ended
early. Notable as they can be sticklers in the area of item
description.

Frankly, it sounds like you tried to lowball something and it got
pulled. One of the good things about ebay: "There will be another one".

Call it lame if you want. When you're the seller, the shoe is on the
other foot.

I usually try to lowball something I want. Sometimes it works. More
often, it doesn't. Such is life.

The advice to "bid the maximum amount you are willing to pay, complete,
including shipping" is simple, good stuff. --D-y

Old September 5th 06, 11:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.marketplace
Alex

wrote:
Alex wrote:
A contract is between two parties. So when the person putting item up
for auction they are agreeing to selling the item at the bid price. So
by using the lame excuse that they got a local buyer, they are breaking
the contract. It is also a way of avoiding ebay fees. I haven't
checked, but it is probably against ebay rules.

I haven't sold for a few years, so I checked:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/end_early.html

Gives a list of "outs" for sellers. Twelve hours is the time limit.
"Item is no longer for sale" is a nice, broad exclusion. Again, the
goal is happy buyers and sellers. This is a good compromise IMHO toward
that end-- if no one tops an early low bid, and the seller doesn't end
before the 12-hour time limit, the item must be sold to the highest
bidder. So, risk to the seller and bidder/buyer expectations are
balanced.

Down near the bottom is says:

"Note: Sellers are not permitted to cancel bids and end listings early
in order to avoid selling an item that did not meet the desired sale
price. This is considered to be reserve fee circumvention. Although
there are legitimate reasons for ending a listing early, abuse of this
option will be investigated."

Ebay seems to be happy with collecting the insertion fee on items ended
early. Notable as they can be sticklers in the area of item
description.

Of course. They are heavily biased towards sellers because that is who
is paying them.

Frankly, it sounds like you tried to lowball something and it got
pulled. One of the good things about ebay: "There will be another one".

Lowball? It's an auction, how do you lowball in an auction?

Call it lame if you want. When you're the seller, the shoe is on the
other foot.

Exactly. It is supposed to be fair for both parties. If I have to
commit to honor
my bid, then you need to commit to sell.

The advice to "bid the maximum amount you are willing to pay, complete,
including shipping" is simple, good stuff.

That's what I usually do. I usually wait to the last moment to do it.

Alex