Replacing tread blocks on MTB shoes?

Old October 25th 08, 07:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dave

Default Replacing tread blocks on MTB shoes?

I have a pair of Sidi MTB shoes with a plastic sole that are well used
but in great shape, EXCEPT the tread is so worn down that the shoes
aren't really walkable anymore.

It would be a real shame to toss a pair of $150 shoes because of
this. And of course it is annoying that Sidi doesn't sell
replacements except for their absurdly priced "Dragon" model.

Anyone have any advice as far as replacing the tread?
Old October 25th 08, 07:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Carl Sundquist

"Dave" wrote in message
I have a pair of Sidi MTB shoes with a plastic sole that are well used
but in great shape, EXCEPT the tread is so worn down that the shoes
aren't really walkable anymore.

It would be a real shame to toss a pair of $150 shoes because of
this. And of course it is annoying that Sidi doesn't sell
replacements except for their absurdly priced "Dragon" model.

Anyone have any advice as far as replacing the tread?

Have you consulted your local shoe repair shop?

Old October 25th 08, 08:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Dave Benoff wrote:
I have a pair of Sidi MTB shoes with a plastic sole that are well used
but in great shape, EXCEPT the tread is so worn down that the shoes
aren't really walkable anymore.

It would be a real shame to toss a pair of $150 shoes because of
this. And of course it is annoying that Sidi doesn't sell
replacements except for their absurdly priced "Dragon" model.

Anyone have any advice as far as replacing the tread?

I build up the tread blocks on my SiDi shoes every so often with Shoe
Goo®. The Shoe Goo® also provides better traction on hard surfaces:
http://www.eclecticproducts.com/shoegoo.htm.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
If you are not a part of the solution, you are a part of the precipitate.
Old October 27th 08, 08:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Oct 25, 1:27*pm, Dave wrote:
I have a pair of Sidi MTB shoes with a plastic sole that are well used
but in great shape, EXCEPT the tread is so worn down that the shoes
aren't really walkable anymore.

It would be a real shame to toss a pair of $150 shoes because of
this. *And of course it is annoying that Sidi doesn't sell
replacements except for their absurdly priced "Dragon" model.

Anyone have any advice as far as replacing the tread?

Replace them with a "new" pair of Sidi's from ebay where someone
decided they didn't like mountain biking, or bought the wrong size and
only rode 6 times before they figured out that it was a lost cause and
they couldn't or didn't return them because " _your reason here_".

Or Craigslist. My other half has a pair of Dominators that I CL'd for
$45, which could have been sold for new with box and papers.

Your "worn out" ones might be worth a few bucks, more than you might
think.

Funny how that stuff works, you know? --D-y

Tire tread. Brian O. Unicycling 22 January 13th 08 06:32 AM
Tread Mills tholub Unicycling 19 May 27th 05 02:08 PM
best tyre tread Jon_H UK 11 January 22nd 05 06:48 PM
repair for tread cut Kerry Montgomery Techniques 12 September 7th 04 01:51 AM