shimano DA right shifter

Old October 25th 08, 10:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default shimano DA right shifter

My rear Dura Ace 10 speed shifter cable recently broke (right where
the cable comes out out of the lever). I bought a new cable, put it in
(at the same time noticing that the head of the old cable was not in
the lever) and found that when I shift to a bigger cog the lever
"clicks", but as soon as I release the lever the derailleur snaps
back. Is this something I can fix? Did the parts of the old cable get
stuck somwhere inside of the shifter?
Old October 27th 08, 01:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Taylor

On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 21:14:58 GMT, John Forrest Tomlinson
wrote:

On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 14:11:29 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

My rear Dura Ace 10 speed shifter cable recently broke (right where
the cable comes out out of the lever). I bought a new cable, put it in
(at the same time noticing that the head of the old cable was not in
the lever) and found that when I shift to a bigger cog the lever
"clicks", but as soon as I release the lever the derailleur snaps
back. Is this something I can fix? Did the parts of the old cable get
stuck somwhere inside of the shifter?

Did you ever get the old head of the cable out of the lever. If not,
that's the problem.

This happened to me and it was very hard to get the old head out, but
I did eventually. I wonder if anyone has any advice about doing so.

I ran into the same problem twice in the last few months, my own and
a neighbor's. The old head and some frayed cable attached are in
there somewhere. There is no way that I could figure to simply
dis-assemble the shifter, remove the head, and put it back together.
So with a combination of shifting the levers up and down, and fishing
with narrow needle nosed pliers, same result: "eventually" I was able
to pull the old heads and frayed cables out.
Old October 28th 08, 12:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

wrote:

[...]

A cigar box of dental tools and surgical clamps
will ease this type of job considerably.
I have a more husky probe about 28 cm with a strait
point on one end and a 5 mm right angle point on
the other end that never even gets put away, but
resides on a book shelf because it is used so often.

--
Michael Press
Old October 28th 08, 12:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Oct 25, 3:11*pm, wrote:
My rear Dura Ace 10 speed shifter cable recently broke (right where
the cable comes out out of the lever). I bought a new cable, put it in
(at the same time noticing that the head of the old cable was not in
the lever) and found that when I shift to a bigger cog the lever
"clicks", but as soon as *I release the lever the derailleur snaps
back. Is this something I can fix? Did the parts of the old cable get
stuck somwhere inside of the shifter?

I think the remnants of the old cable is somewhere inside there. No
way to take it apart and find it. I recommend a warranty. shimano is
pretty reasonable about this.